The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

I hope it will be as easy to add games to as the (S)NES, but I fear it won’t be.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Destruction Derby, Assault Riggs, Distruptor, F1, Tekken, Doom, Nuclear Strike, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Actua Soccer are some of the games I associate with those early PS1 days - that I had.

I appreciate the system won’t have all of those games but they’re the sort of titles I associate with those early heady Playsation days.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m mainly thinking Gran Turismo here. How well did Ridge Racer 4 work on digital dpad? I think I only ever played that with the NegCon.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As well as its predecessors did, although it was nice with the DS.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Does anyone genuinely want to play PS1 Gran Turismo now? I think it has aged to a point of obselescence for most.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm Does anyone genuinely want to play PS1 Gran Turismo now? I think it has aged to a point of obselescence for most.
I recently replayed a good few hours of it emulated on my phone with my DS4 pad. It still plays like a dream. The graphics aren't as good as today's racers sure, but the game is as fun as any of the later additions to the series. I still think GT2 is my favorite racing game of all time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

In other news, I've recently found myself really wanting to replay the Assassins Creed series and never played any of the most recent games at all. What excellent timing then to find a fantastic Ubisoft sale on the PSN store. The Ezio Trilogy and Black Flag come to £22 I think overall. Bargain! I need to wait till pay day, but fortunately the sale goes till 2nd October. That's me sorted for a few months! Good deals on some of their other games, too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: September 19th, 2018, 2:26 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm Does anyone genuinely want to play PS1 Gran Turismo now? I think it has aged to a point of obselescence for most.
I recently replayed a good few hours of it emulated on my phone with my DS4 pad. It still plays like a dream. The graphics aren't as good as today's racers sure, but the game is as fun as any of the later additions to the series. I still think GT2 is my favorite racing game of all time.
Fair enough!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Just pre-ordered one on Amazon on the basis I can cancel (or sell) it if I don’t fancy the 15 games not announced yet. Not entirely sure why because my PS3 is still set up and all my PS1 games are stored next to it, but I’m a sucker for these things and after waiting two years to finally get hold of a NES Classic Mini I don’t want to risk missing out again.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

My main question aside from "what's the lineup?" (*crosses fingers for Twisted Metal World Tour*) is whether this thing will have 'authentic' ie slow load times? I'm guessing not as it isn't disc-based?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah just thought, it definitely won't have Ape Escape :(
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KissMammal wrote: September 19th, 2018, 11:23 pm My main question aside from "what's the lineup?" (*crosses fingers for Twisted Metal World Tour*) is whether this thing will have 'authentic' ie slow load times? I'm guessing not as it isn't disc-based?
Hmm... I've noticed that there are loading screens with current PSone games on PSN, so maybe?

I've kinda pre-ordered... I know myself tooooooo well. :oops:

I still buy PS1 disc's, usually for my Japanese PS1. Sure, there's my treasured Dodonpachi, but there's also titles like Densha De Go! and Jet De Go!, titles that definitely won't be on the PlayStation Classic! There's plenty of little games out there that didn't come westwards, more curiosities than anything else.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: September 20th, 2018, 11:42 am
KissMammal wrote: September 19th, 2018, 11:23 pm My main question aside from "what's the lineup?" (*crosses fingers for Twisted Metal World Tour*) is whether this thing will have 'authentic' ie slow load times? I'm guessing not as it isn't disc-based?
Hmm... I've noticed that there are loading screens with current PSone games on PSN, so maybe?.
Even completely digital games still have to load. I've noticed it's a lot quicker than if you were playing on original hardware, though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

October PS+ games are:

Friday the 13th: The Game (PS4)
Laser League (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus bonus – PlayLink)
Master Reboot (PS3)
The Bridge (PS3, PS4, PS Vita)
Rocketbirds 2: Evolution (PS Vita, PS4)
2064: Read Only Memories (PS Vita, PS4)

Well, that's another month down. Not sure I'll ever renew at this rate!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

So much for the rumours eh?

Laser League is pretty excellent it should be said, a sort of fusion of Tron, Bomberman and Windjammers.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I did always fancy that, but not worth a whole subscription really. I'm a little disappointed how much they seem to be focusing on online multiplayer games. I'm just not that interested and much prefer a good single player story based game. I'll resub at some point, but at the moment don't feel like I'm missing out. If anything, it'll probably be the games already in my library I'm resubbing for - MGS V, Just Cause 3 and Until Dawn are three that spring to mind I'd like to get through at some point.

Which games were being rumoured then?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I had heard Nioh and Diablo 3
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 19th, 2018, 10:48 am I hope it will be as easy to add games to as the (S)NES, but I fear it won’t be.
How easy is it to add games to the Snes?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Really easy.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Done by USB or SD card?