The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by DomsBeard »

Happy to play through Bulletstorm again. I cannot emphasise enough to people to play Yakuza 0 before Kiwami though.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

DomsBeard wrote: October 31st, 2018, 4:58 pm Happy to play through Bulletstorm again. I cannot emphasise enough to people to play Yakuza 0 before Kiwami though.
That’s interesting.

By this do you mean that Kiwami might put people off and never get around to zero or is there another reason. I haven’t played zero or Kiwami but played the first three entries back on original release.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pretty much that, yes. Zero is a much better and more interesting game, and by the time you play Kiwami you'll be invested in the characters. If I played Kiwami first I'd not be as excited about the series, although it is still a decent enough game on its own merit.

Not sure I'll resub just for Bulletstorm though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: October 31st, 2018, 7:54 pm Pretty much that, yes. Zero is a much better and more interesting game, and by the time you play Kiwami you'll be invested in the characters. If I played Kiwami first I'd not be as excited about the series, although it is still a decent enough game on its own merit.

Not sure I'll resub just for Bulletstorm though.
Yeah what Alex said
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

PUBG finally makes its way to Playstation in around a month's time: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/11 ... -december/

The question is, however, is it too late? Personally speaking, I would have been really excited about this a year ago, but having played a bunch of Fortnite and even PUBG on mobile I really feel like I've had my fill, and am not the least bit interested in this. Add to this the amount of other battle royale games released or to be released over the last year and beyond, is there still a place for PUBG on PlayStation?

I can't be alone with these thoughts, and surely any exclusivity deal they must have had with Microsoft will have worked out less beneficial for them in the long run considering how many copies they'd have shifted on PS4 if it had come out at the same time as Xbox.

Just my uneducated guess on the matter, but I don't think I'm far wrong.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really not enthused about PUBG on PS4 to be honest. They missed the boat with the exclusivity.

Santa is bringing me a X Box One X and I will be getting Game Pass so will try it as part of that no doubt.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd say the PUBG ship has probably sailed but it's a much much more interesting game than Fortnite, to my tastes. The first five or ten games were probably as tense as anything I've ever played. No kills. Several top tens. Just loot and hide and wait and listen. Listen and listen and listen. Unbelievable atmosphere and that first kill, I can still picture it now, crept out of the downstairs bathroom window when I heard the front door open. Crept round, so so slowly and silently, peeked through the front door...my God...The guy is looting the shit I left on the floor as a slowdown distraction. Line him up, back of the head, shotgun. Boom. Loot, loot, loot and run like hell, feels like I'm flying. It's like nothing else, frankly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I need some a PlayStation headset.

I’ve heard that the Sony one is pretty decent, anyone else got any recommendations ??

I already have a high end wireless set for my Xbox so don’t really want to get anything too expensive.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: November 21st, 2018, 11:35 am I need some a PlayStation headset.

I’ve heard that the Sony one is pretty decent, anyone else got any recommendations ??

I already have a high end wireless set for my Xbox so don’t really want to get anything too expensive.
The official Sony one is great. There are three different ones from memory and I have the gold version which is great. I’m not sure if the leap to platinum is worth the price hike.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have the Platinum. It’s pretty great but I haven’t used the Gold...
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

The new Gold headphones (the one with the non-folding headband) are the ones I'm currently using and have had zero problems with them. I used the older Gold model previously (the one with the folding headband) but the hinges on the headband snapped and that was that for them. If you're willing to spend more (around £120) then the Sony Platinum headphones are really investment.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Thanks everyone, that seems to confirm that the Sony ones are a pretty decent bet then.

The Gold’s are £49.99 in Argos at the momemt, which seems like a good deal.

Not really a fan of boomless headsets mind but as these are getting good things said about them - I think I’ll go for these.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, another recommendation from me for the Sony Gold Headsets. I have the folding set, and I love them for games and films alike. No complaints about the in-built chat mic either. Luckily the hinges on my set are still intact.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

JaySevenZero wrote: November 21st, 2018, 12:46 pm

The new Gold headphones (the one with the non-folding headband) are the ones I'm currently using and have had zero problems with them. I used the older Gold model previously (the one with the folding headband) but the hinges on the headband snapped and that was that for them. If you're willing to spend more (around £120) then the Sony Platinum headphones are really investment.
The hinges on my original set broke too. The new ones seem more robust with similar sound quality.

I did notice that they’ve made some of the audio settings platinum exclusive on the app (or is that just me)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have the newest edition of the Sony gold ones, and they're fantastic. Comfy to wear, brilliant sound quality too. It really transforms games listening on good headphones. My only caution is the limited range, but I sit right in front of the TV so doesn't affect me, but if I go in to the kitchen (next room) the audio will cut out. Decent battery life, too.

Re: the PS4 app you can use alongside them - I've found it to be rarely worth the bother. The games supporting it are incredibly limited, and I've not noticed a difference at all when using it with games that too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I'm using the Sennheiser Game One with my PS4:

A bit on the pricey side, but superb audio quality, open technology that provides more natural, less isolated sound and allows your ears to breathe a little as opposed to basically every other headset on the market, and most importantly, widely compatible with a variety of different devices. Just plug the standardized 3.5 mm audio jack and you're done. My research has indicated that specialized console-specific headsets often run into compatibility issues with other products, so that's something to keep in mind if you want to get the most out of your headset for as long as possible.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 21st, 2018, 4:06 pm My research has indicated that specialized console-specific headsets often run into compatibility issues with other products, so that's something to keep in mind if you want to get the most out of your headset for as long as possible.
Tell me about it.

Currently, I almost have a specific set of cans for each console.

I used to have some shares in Game, which I sold in 2015 for almost £250 - with this I bought the Turtle Beach Stealth 500’s which are class, but only work with the Xbox One.

Then, for my Switch I bough the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x’s, again, which are incredible studio headphones, they just don’t have a mic.

So this leaves me without a set of phones that work with my PS4 and it’s seems that these Sony Golds are pretty decent and at £50 seem good value for money.

It’s all nonsense.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 21st, 2018, 4:23 pm It’s all nonsense.
Definitely. It's a total scam.

I really enjoy being able to plug my current headset into my laptop or 3DS without any issue. The Switch appears to have a 3.5 mm jack, so I should be able to use it in handheld mode for that as well. Having a reliable, high-quality universal headset is absolutely wonderful if you ask me. Makes me glad I didn't go down the rabbit hole of console-specific peripherals in the first place.

I'd also like to emphasize the difference between open and closed headset technology (Here's a very concise and accurate explanation). I like to play long hours in a relatively quiet environment, so open headphones are perfect for me and make closed ones feel restrictive and uncomfortable in comparison. Don't underestimate the difference it makes.

Then again, audio tech is a complete rabbit hole in general! Everybody always swears by their own preferred solution. The Golden Rule being: don't spend any more than you're comfortable with.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: November 21st, 2018, 4:23 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: November 21st, 2018, 4:06 pm My research has indicated that specialized console-specific headsets often run into compatibility issues with other products, so that's something to keep in mind if you want to get the most out of your headset for as long as possible.
Tell me about it.
The PS4 headphones also come with a 3.5" lead and jack to use on anything with a socket, although you will of course be limited to stereo given the connection.

You can also use them wirelessly on PC (and PS4, obviously) with the provided dongle.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I cancelled my PlayStation Classic pre-order at the weekend. Still got mixed feelings about doing it, having placed the order as soon as was possible. I was quite happy with the games onboard, fully accepting it was never going to be a my personal favourites list, but then I started reading reviews that all talked about a bare bones experience, poor emulation, non-optimal versions of games, etc. Having spent a lot of time recently on the NES and SNES Classic Minis, at about half the price and what appeared to be twice the polish,, I just decided I wanted more for my money, and without much thought at all clicked cancel.

We had some interesting discussions here when the games were announced. Anyone else had a change of mind one way or the other since?