The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
magicjoef

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by magicjoef »

I've done a spot of grinding in the forest area near a spring that restores health and magic. I'm tempted to over-level a bit if I'm getting decent XP, as I'm not brilliant at the combat.

So far it is really suiting the Vita. I think it still looks pretty decent, and like you say it is an ideal way to level up in short bursts.

I think I'll be a bit disappointed not to be playing X on it. Which makes me wonder, could the Vita handle PS2 classics, and if it could which would you want to see?
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Sod it, now downloading ffix. Should keep me busy till I can afford LBP in a couple of weeks.
James

Post by James »

I'm a little late to the thread, but I adore my Vita. Between Mutant Blobs Attack!!, Lumines, Wipeout 2048 and Gravity Rush, I've had plenty of fun with PSV exclusives. Add to that re-enjoying Plants vs Zombies and Rayman Origins and the Vita has been a revelation for me; even gritting my teeth through Manhunt 2 was a worthy way to spend time on it.

As an aside, it's my point of view that the so-called 'lack of games for Vita' is a game reviewer-specific problem. I can't imagine many people look at the PS Minis, PS One and PSP games on PSN and think, 'I've played all of those'. Like with Manhunt 2, I've actually opted to play Persona 3, Where Is My Heart?, Velocity and Sound Shapes on Vita instead of PS3, because it suited me better to do so. I'm infinitely more interested in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale now that Cross-Buy is an option, and I'll likely pick up NFS: Most Wanted on PS3 purely because of that too.

My only real gripes are the (already mentioned) price of memory, save game system (though backing-up to PC/PS3 works well), the odd inability to 'Transfar' (eugh) between the Vita and PS3 for MGS: Peace Walker and the fidelity of the touch controls in Escape Plan (a barrier to enjoying an otherwise excellent game). There are a few odd UI choices such as having to tap through a 'Start' screen to launch some of the functional applications (Settings and Trophies, etc), but all-in-all I'm incredibly happy that I have a Vita.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

magicjoef wrote:Cool, thanks. Just wanted to check I wasn't going to go about it all wrong.

It's a pretty big blind spot in my gaming, so I'm going to try and play IX on Vita, then I have X and XII lined up for PS2.
If you've not played VII and VIII yet then I'd recommend just playing those. They are the best ones.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:
magicjoef wrote:Cool, thanks. Just wanted to check I wasn't going to go about it all wrong.

It's a pretty big blind spot in my gaming, so I'm going to try and play IX on Vita, then I have X and XII lined up for PS2.
If you've not played VII and VIII yet then I'd recommend just playing those. They are the best ones.
8 over 9?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:

8 over 9?
Every day of the week. Even Sundays.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote: 8 over 9?
Every day of the week. Even Sundays.
Never completed 8, just didn't click with me, played the hell out of 9 though, not quite as many hours as I pumped 7 though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Everyone has their own favourite FF. you can't say that one is definitely better than another, especially the three from the PSone era.
Sean

Post by Sean »

ratsoalbion wrote:Everyone has their own favourite FF. you can't say that one is definitely better than another, especially the three from the PSone era.
Well, yeah, unless we're talking about FFIV. ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sinan Kubba says FFX is the best. I respect Sinan but that's MENTAL!
;)
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

ratsoalbion wrote:Sinan Kubba says FFX is the best. I respect Sinan but that's MENTAL!
;)
Well, to be fair he's only saying that because it's true. :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Love that laughing scene.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I didn't like having to 'draw' magic in 8, I found myself spending ages walking around trying to find magic, I don't know, I just couldn't wrap my head around it, and kinda lost interest before I got to the end.
I played the most of 7, so in my brain, it probably holds the most memories.
I remember buying 10 and playing the weird rugby game, but kinda lost interest again.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

IX without a doubt for me. About four hours into to my second play through and I'm falling in love with it all over again. X was the start of its downfall for me.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote: As an aside, it's my point of view that the so-called 'lack of games for Vita' is a game reviewer-specific problem. I can't imagine many people look at the PS Minis, PS One and PSP games on PSN and thinking, 'I've played all of those'. Like with Manhunt 2, I've actually opted to play Persona 3, Where Is My Heart?, Velocity and Sound Shapes on Vita instead of PS3, because it suited me better to do so. I'm infinitely more interested in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale now that Cross-Buy is an option, and I'll likely pick up NFS: Most Wanted on PS3 purely because of that too.
Couldn't agree more. It really irks me when I hear people complain about the lack of games on the Vita as its simply not true.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Didn't mean to start an FF debate! I didn't put too much thought into it, I just checked IX wasn't regarded as really bad or something, and went for that because it was the last one on the PSX so I figured they'd have the tech side down.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Forget all the above FF Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) is the way to go. Looks beautiful on the Vita and is the best branded FF game by a country mile.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final ... ons-review

It was cheap as chips on the Vita Store the other week.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

I don't know if it is still available at a discount but the recent 'Minis Indie bundle' with Wizorb is well worth it too.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I see that Rainbow Moon has been confirmed for a Vita release next year. Have been meaning to get this on PS3 as it looks great, but think I'll wait for the Vita version now as games like this are ideal for handhelds.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Great news that Earth Defense Force is getting a UK release, it's a series I've always enjoyed playing.

So far I'm impressed with LittleBigPlanet Vita. It's easy for detractors to say "it's just the PS3 game but handheld". To that, as ever, i'd say "how exactly is that a bad thing?".