The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Chopper »

That's standard TV miniseries abusive Dad though, no?

My enthusiasm remains unabated. :D

Edit, that wasn't a reply to Alex :)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Without David Cage's ambition, Quantic Dream maybe wouldn't be as successful as they are now(?). And yet David Cage is the least talented person at that company.

The upside is that there is a lot of talented people who do work there, and it's good that those people have employment and have the opportunity to "strut there stuff", so to speak. So there is that silver lining.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, they're really in a catch-22. They would benefit greatly from letting someone else take the wheel for a while, but, they're where they're at because of him.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Your November PS+ games are:

Worms Battlegrounds (PS4)
Bound (PS4/PS VR)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS Plus bonus – PS VR Required)
That’s You! (PS Plus bonus – PlayLink)
R-Type Dimensions (PS3)
Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (PS3)
Dungeon Punks (PS Vita & PS4)
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse [Ep. 1 & 2] (PS Vita)

Well, after a few really top quality months I'm a little underwhelmed, but some good games in there still. Hopefully if people are playing Worms online it'll be a laugh and I'm pleased with Broken Sword and Bound. So actually not a bad month, just had a few really big name games lately so it looks less impressive!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Psyched for R-Type but, yeah, a bit underwhelming otherwise.
Joshihatsumitsu

Finally, lazily, got around to watching that TLOU 2 trailer... and yeah, it's an odd way to market a game. I'm not sure who this is supposed to be aimed at.

I love, love horror movies, but rarely (possibly never?) will you see anything gratuitous or explicit in a trailer, or any other marketing, for those movies. Violence would be hinted at, or implied, or cut away at the last second, but I struggle to think of any marketing material for a movie equivalent to TLOU 2.

Keep in mind I'm just talking about the trailer, and the point of marketing the game a certain way: within the context of playing the actual game I'm sure those scenes would still be offputting, but maybe there's a reason (hopefully. Nihilism's a bit of a lazy fallback).

It's a strange way to advertise, not that you're getting into a game like TLOU expecting rainbows and cupcakes, but still...
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Global user numbers for RE7 (all platforms), and the VR users (only available on PSVR).

Numbers are only for users who chose the 'Share Data' option. This might be a concern for VR users who have a camera and mic turned on and may be sitting there in their pants. ;)

source: http://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html
Joshihatsumitsu

Chopper wrote: November 8th, 2017, 11:12 am...This might be a concern for VR users who have a camera and mic turned on and may be sitting there in their pants. ;)
Doesn't that just add to the horror elements? :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha nice.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Trails of Cold Steel I & II are coming to the PS4, for those who missed them, along with a new Trails of Cold Steel game.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

And.....a new Shining game for PS4

Shining Resonance Refrain Announced For PlayStation 4 With New Elements And “What If” Story

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/14/sh ... nts-story/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

December PS+ games are:

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition (PS4)
Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of the Legendary Legends (PS4)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS Plus bonus – PS VR Required)
That’s You! (PS Plus bonus – PlayLink)
Xblaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
Syberia Collection (PS3)
Forma 8 (PS Vita & PS4)
Wanted Corp (PS Vita)

I usually try to look for the positives, but there's nothing there at all I'm interested in this month. It just looks really poor next to Games With Gold.

EDIT: Forma 8 looks kinda interesting. But still. For a Christmas line up, even the most ardent defender of the service surely has to admit it's a little....lacking.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

For those who prefer physical to digital, the remake of Secret of Mana is getting a physical release in North America - exclusive to EBGames in Canada and Gamestop in the US.

I couldn't find it on Amazon in the UK, but I did find it on Amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Secret-of-Mana-Pl ... B077QH54QM
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really tempted by GT Sport now there's more of a single player element. Can anyone who has the game tell me whether it compares to previous career modes in the GT games? The total lack of that was the reason I'd not been interested in this latest installment despite being a huge fan of (and in many ways an apologist for) the series in the past. Especially during the lackluster PS3 era games.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's almost identical to the former single player stuff, yes. Even down to the music!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm thanks. Maybe then...

In other news: January PS+games rumoured to be the most recent Deus Ex game and the first season of the Telltale Batman series. If it's true, I'm really pleased with those! I've been meaning to get Batman since release. Official announcement will be later today if they follow their usual schedule.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That would be great! Although I did buy DE: Mankind Divided for the princely sum of £4.99 new on Xbox One a few weeks back!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got £45 in PSN credit for Christmas, and can't decide between Nioh and Dark Souls 3. I could get both, but I won't have time for two games of that size before they're in a sale again in a few months so makes sense to get just one (plus I want to grab a few smaller games with the rest of the credit).

Nioh looks closer to Bloodborne that Dark Souls, which is good, but it's also an unknown quantity, whereas I've loved all the Souls games so far. Argh, help me decide!

I've spent some of the remainder on Final Fantasy X/X2 for Vita (£10) and will probably get Edith Finch and possibly Kona too. If there's any left over it's a toss up between Papers Please on Vita and Nex Machina...

I also got Uncharted Lost Legacy for Xmas which I can't wait to play!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've only played DS3 out of the two, so I may not be the most qualified to answer this. But I will say that DS3 would be a very safe choice if you've liked the others. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, and many people were disappointed by its lack of innovation, but it is a very polished game that delivers in terms of the fantastic level design and bosses the series is known for.

Nioh, like you said, is an unknown quantity. I've heard some very good thing, so if you feel like taking a risk and like the setting, why not? I don't think you'd regret it.

Another thing, the DS3 DLC is the usual FROM high-quality stuff, so you should probably buy the complete version if you can.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The normal version is £15 and the deluxe with the DLC is £25. Would you say the DLC is worth the extra ten bucks? I've never played any From Software DLC before so not sure how well regarded they are.