The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
kintaris

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by kintaris »

Vita on its way to me in the post :D Excited to have a full complement of current portable consoles in my life now. And maybe finally play a Persona game!
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

OK, so an observation that I haven't seen mentioned often among the various bits of praise that people give the Vita: Games are so cheap digitally! I can't believe the disparity between physical and digital here. I've gotten used to prices being either about the same (Nintendo) or drastically more expensive digitally compared to second hand unless there's a deep sale (Xbox, PS4)

Yet on Vita the standard price for P4G is £7! When it's £20 in CeX! I know the console is near the end of it's life and that skews things a bit, but this still seems like a mad way around compared to my usual expectations.

What a wonderful surprise. I'd better get a decent sized memory card :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Absolutely. I have a hell of a lot of digital Vita games - P4G itself has been £3.99 in sales (I have that physically though it’s too precious)! I just picked up Gravity Rush for £3.99 in the latest sale, and just two posts ago I highlighted Resogun is a disgusting £2.50 - there is a lot bargain wise to be had and compared to say the 3DS store it’s night and day. Tearaway is £3.99 right now... long live the Vita.

The one headache you may have is the memory cards - I paid £65 for a 64gb card which is obscene in comparison to SD cards but at least prices are low.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

hazeredmist wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:14 pm Absolutely. I have a hell of a lot of digital Vita games - P4G itself has been £3.99 in sales (I have that physically though it’s too precious)! I just picked up Gravity Rush for £3.99 in the latest sale, and just two posts ago I highlighted Resogun is a disgusting £2.50 - there is a lot bargain wise to be had and compared to say the 3DS store it’s night and day. Tearaway is £3.99 right now... long live the Vita.

The one headache you may have is the memory cards - I paid £65 for a 64gb card which is obscene in comparison to SD cards but at least prices are low.

Indeed, but if I take it as a one-time investment in order to access ridiculously cheap prices, it's a little easier to stomach! I've just gone for a 16GB as I believe that will cover me. I'm not one for hopping around different games simultaneously, and apart from Persona most of the other games I have my eye on are fairly small.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I gave myself an initial spending limit of £30 to get me through the rest of the year with my new handheld. I don't think that should be a problem, as I now have:

- Persona 4 Golden
- Tearaway
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- Papers, Please
- Broken Age
- Severed

...to play through, plus several PS4 games I never got around to that have Cross-Buy: The Tomb Raider and Hitman GO games, Volume, Burly Men at Sea, Resogun, Hohokum, Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes, Hue, Sky Force Anniversary, Child of Light, Fez, Grim Fandango's remaster and Oddworld: New n' Tasty.

I feel this console was money very, very well spent. Looking forward to some upcoming commutes now!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's a pretty awesome library you have there already! Not a bad game in that lot.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know of a way to make the PS4 region free (for movies, not games)? I have a bunch of Region 1 (USA) DVDs that aren't available to stream anywhere, which I've bought over the years of owning a region free DVD player. Now I only have my PS4 as a media playback machine I find I can't watch them any more.

I know there used to be codes etc you could use on DVD players to unlock the region, just wondered if anyone knew of a similar trick for consoles? It's irritating the machine isn't totally region free in this day and age really.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Not sure but how about if you sign in with a US account?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

You can't make the PS4 region free with physical movie discs, as far as I know.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

September PS+ games are:

Destiny 2 (PS4)
God of War III: Remastered (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus Bonus – PlayLink)
Here They Lie (PS Plus Bonus – PS VR required)
Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition (PS3 + PS4/PS Vita)
QUBE Director’s Cut (PS3 + PS4)
Foul Play (PS Vita + PS4)
Sparkle 2 (PS Vita)

Mixed feelings there. Much as I'd like to try Destiny, I don't have time to dedicate to an online shooter really. God of War 3... Played on PS3 before and enjoyed it, but do I want to play it again? Maybe, I guess. I'd want to replay one and two first though.

Foul Play for Vita, nice, always been interested.

But is it enough to pull me back in to PS+? Well, along with last months games if I'm quick enough, probably!

EDIT: Sorry! Thanks for the region free replies, I'd managed to miss most of those somehow!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, I don't think I am going to renew this month having given it a lot of thought. None of the games from this month or next are really screaming out to me, and the price of a sub has gone up by £8 in the last week on CD Keys (I'd had my eye on it, £31 all month then a price hike on the day I get paid, doh!)

There are a few PS+ games in my collection I'd like to play, but they can wait as I have a whole lot more I've bought outright still to get through. If anything, not having PS+ has actually made me more focused on stuff I've paid for rather than playing an hour or so of everything I can get my hands on!

I'm a little torn at the moment between Shenmue HD and Yakuza Kiwami 2. I think it's going to be a case of whichever hits the sales first! In the meantime I am going to go back to the Metro Redux pack I bought a couple of years ago and barely played.

I'm really trying to be more thoughtful about what money I spend when it comes to gaming. I waste so much when I think about it on games that just don't get played.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man, perhaps consider what I do.

I don't currently have any active subscription, I just simple renew for a month when I want to play online with the lads - which isn't often at all.

The free games aren't really a major priority for me, as I love physical and often the games cheap in CEX if I want them.

Over the course of the year, I might get Xbox Live Gold twice, more often than not for £2 for the month. It's getting less and less common.

The games are a big draw though I get that, so maybe just use the same principle, just get a month when there's games you want, you might find over the course of the year its a cheaper way of doing things.

Just an idea.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/09 ... led-games/

Hm... This kinda reminds me of something.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The controllers aren’t dual shock ones, so that’ll be fun for some games.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd probably get a PS2 Classic because I never owned one or ever really played on one. Massive gap in my knowledge/experience. Almost every PS1 game I've gone back to has been pretty hard work but I'll be more tempted to pick this up than I was with the NES Classic.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: September 19th, 2018, 8:03 am The controllers aren’t dual shock ones, so that’ll be fun for some games.
Also if they are wired that would be an issue for me too. One of the main reasons I got rid of my Snes Mini.

Wonder what other games will be on there...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Weird choice not to use dual shocks, I guess it would have affected the price? Wonder if they'll be a way to use wireless pads from PS3 or PS4 with it. I'm definitely interested... Especially if the games have save states.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For the first three years of the PS1 there were no analogue controlled games (NegCon excepted), and the DualShock only arrived in 98 and was optional.

I would say that most of the classic PS1 games are designed for - or at least entirely playable with - D-pad.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yep, I'm sure it came out exact same time as the first Gran Turismo. I remember getting them together the same day.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I want it out of sheer-bloody-mindedness, common-sense be damned!

But really, I didn't buy my NES/SNES/Neo Geo Mini's as a substitute for the original consoles: I just though they were cool little things that I wanted in my collection. I kinda feel the same way towards this PS1 mini - it's a nice little curiosity.

So Sony, take my money please.