The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

I think I stopped being interested when I realised that the games list was final, that there was no ability to play 4-player and it didn’t come with DualShock.
Flabyo

Re: The Sony news and discussion threa

Post by Flabyo »

Putting the PAL version of Tekken on there instead of the NTSC one is a crime.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I picked up my PlayStation Classic yesterday, and I've yet had time to play it. However, I have unboxed it, and ooo'd and aaah'd as the beautiful little reproduction, with it's clicky, tangible buttons, revealed itself before me. The way it is packaged is fantastic... however... there was something that bothered me.

Tape.

I use tape on Birthday/Christmas presents, because it's cheap, convenient and I know once the present is unwrapped all that tape becomes garbage.

I use masking tape when I paint, because it helps create nice neat edges. Then once the paint is dry I peal it off and through it in the bin, because it's garbage.

Tape is cheap, convenient, utilitarian and, ultimately, garbage. It has it's uses, but it's messy, leaves residue behind, ugly, and disposable.

When I had to remove pieces of tape from the plastic bags holding cables, I was trying very carefully not to rip up those bags in the process. From memory the NES/SNES mini's used foam, and cable ties, but basically folded the ends of any plastic bags over. Most (premium) consumer electronics might even use vacuum sealing. Tape is a detail I don't think about, until it turns up.

So, where am I going with this? Tape is a band-aid solution to putting things together: it's the design decision equivalent of saying "uh, um... I don't know, just use that. Whatever, I don't care". In a world where a ton of effort goes into how products are marketed and presented, tape in a premium consumer product is a reflection of indifference.

Now, like I said, I only got this yesterday, so I haven't had the chance to sit down and actually plug the damn thing in (again, the actually physical hardware is beautiful). Chances are this Eurogamer review will hit all the nails on the head for me, but just like my bizarre issue with tape, there's a feeling of indifference to elements of the PlayStation Classic. There are many things that are strikingly beautiful about it, so the parts that come up short (or are taped together, so to speak ;) ) feel very disappointing.

So concludes my review of tape. Next up, plugging things in! :D
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I cancelled my preorder, but must have left it too late, so the one I ordered is waiting for me when i get home (been out of the country for the last week). I was already pretty disappointed with the software lineup, and the inclusion of PAL versions of games was the last straw.

I’m still holding out a dim hope that it gets cracked wide open and I can replace the 20 built-in games with NTSC versions and others of my own choosing, though I suspect not (iirc hacking the NES and SNES Classics only allows you to add additional games, not delete the ones that come preinstalled). So its most likely going to get returned.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I cancelled mine as soon as I saw the full line up as the games on there that I cared about I already had on Vita anyway.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Regarding headphones, I use a Turtle Beach PX4 which is “wireless” (you still cable to the controller for mic) and surround sound, it sounds excellent and has lasted me for absolutely ages. You can use it for other consoles too and it’s got Bluetooth for your phone so you will still hear a call coming through. The adjustable game / chat mix volume is a very good feature. Bought it for Destiny many moons ago and it feels as decent today sitting playing Firewatch as it always has.
Joshihatsumitsu

For the 2% of people of people who hung onto their PlayStation Classic pre-order, and are feeling adventurous, there's already a mod called BleemSync.

I cannot vouch for how well it works, because I yet to even plug my PlayStation Classic for the first time (I mean, I got distracted by other games...). And it seems to require a bit of prep work, to the degree that it's probably just better to go the Retro-Pi route to begin with. Also, I can't be bothered!

But it is a mod-able system, if one is so inclined.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

While it can be modded, the emulation is apparently still pretty awful. And given that a real PS1 still looks reasonably decent on a modern tv (and better still if you play your ps1 games via the ps3) it still seems like a hard sell.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Agreed. You can get a modded PSone model for £35 on eBay.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ll admit I tend to prefer running original games rather than downloading stuff, so I do have some bias (and I’m reminded that I really do need to preorder the Analogue Mega-SG)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: December 12th, 2018, 8:05 amAnd given that a real PS1 still looks reasonably decent on a modern tv (and better still if you play your ps1 games via the ps3) it still seems like a hard sell.
Picked up a CECHC03 (fat 60GB) last night in a bundle, which will be used for that very reason.
Joshihatsumitsu

Yeah, I have a lot of love the emulation on my PS2/PS3/Vita when it comes to PlayStation 1 games, both disc-based and digital. Really love my Japanese PSOne with the 5" LCD screen attachment... run through a stepdown converter, of course!

And yeah, the SNES mini running PS1 emulation better... burn!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ouch indeed... wow!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

hazeredmist wrote: December 12th, 2018, 11:41 pm
Ouch indeed... wow!
Funny thing is I would not be surprised when it is revealed that it outsells the NES and Snes mini.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s possible, the PS1 outsold the SNES 2:1 over their respective lifespans.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I ended up holding on to mine precisely because they were able to hack it so quickly (though I'll definitely be waiting until they iron the bugs out before attempting anything myself).

Booted my Classic up for the first time the other night, and man, the list of included games is even less appealing in reality than it is on paper. I just ended up cycling round and round the menu rather than playing anything for long. Twisted Metal and Cool Boarders 2 have dated astonishingly badly, even with lowered expectations. BUT if I can get this thing loaded up with 20-30 games of my own choosing, then we're in business.

Yeah, the emulation isn't perfect, but to be honest I doubt I'd even notice were it not for things like the side by side comparison videos, and that's a price I'll pay for the convenience. For me, buying an original PS1, or some other device like a Retro Pi wouldn't really be the same proposition. I feel like there's a singular appeal to these mini consoles that's hard to put my finger on, but I think its a combination of convenience, nostalgia and the aesthetics of the thing. Of having it all in a tidy little package that I can easily throw in a bag. Original PS1 hardware was notoriously flaky even at the time (I mean, who didn't have to just accept scratched discs, skipping audio and cutscenes as part and parcel of the experience?) and my experience of using emulators on other devices has involved a lot of fussing with settings (almost a hobby in it's own right) and having to put up with frequent crashes, inconsistent performance, godawful UIs and dodgy controllers.
Joshihatsumitsu

KissMammal wrote: December 13th, 2018, 10:24 pm...I feel like there's a singular appeal to these mini consoles that's hard to put my finger on, but I think its a combination of convenience, nostalgia and the aesthetics of the thing...
That's kinda why I'm hanging onto my PS1 Classic too, as I totally get that "appeal" too.

In context, it will go into my collection along with my Virtual Boy (another iffy bit of hardware/software that I love anyway), the Shonen 50th anniversary gold Famicom (the box it comes in certainly draws your attention, and damn, those controllers are small), and my Taito Jet de Go! Flightcontroller (I know it has very limited use... but look at it! It's great!).

I'm not going to explain/excuse my position regarding the PS1 Classic (I likes what I likes) - in a nutshell, it comes up short, and the already-available-alternatives are superior... but I kinda like the misfits and failures. :D
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Curious thing about the Classic - the 'power' light seems to be permanently illuminated orange while off. That wasn't the case with the original was it?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No.