The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Neither, you just plug it into your PC with the supplied USB cable.

I’ve got every SNES game I want on there with space to spare.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 5th, 2018, 7:30 pm Neither, you just plug it into your PC with the supplied USB cable.

I’ve got every SNES game I want on there with space to spare.
I remember hearing that adding games could encroach on the data allotted to save states and mess with/wipe them - have you had any issues with that?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Also, is it possible to do via Mac or is it Windows only?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No issue with save games so far here. No idea about Mac.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Thank you for the information, I'll give it a look!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Well, the full Playstation Classic lineup has been announced (presumably will be the same in both PAL and NTSC regions
?). While they secured a few of the big hitters, the lineup as a whole leaves a lot to be desired - it's certainly not a patch on the 'all killer/no filler' lineup of the SNES Classic and some of the inclusions and exclusions are pretty baffling (who in their right mind thought Rainbow 6 was worth putting on there?). I guess on a system with such a huge library of games and the realities of licensing music restrictions etc you're never going to please everyone by paring it down to just 20, but I think it's a fairly weak offering considering the mass-market/nostalgia market they're no doubt chasing - far too many of the 'classics' that people associate with the system are absent for it to be an impulse buy. I'll personally be cancelling my preorder as it stands.

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

My dream lineup would have been something like this (trying to swap like for like genres where possible):

Battle Arena Toshinden - swap for Soul Blade
Cool Boarders 2 - swap for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Destruction Derby - swap for Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy VII - keep
Grand Theft Auto - swap for Einhander
Intelligent Qube - swap for Kula World
Jumping Flash - swap for Klonoa
Metal Gear Solid - keep
Mr Driller - swap for Parappa the Rapper
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee - keep
Rayman - swap for Castlevania: SotN
Resident Evil Director’s Cut - swap for Resident Evil 2
Revelations: Persona - swap for Suikoden II
Ridge Racer Type 4 - swap for Rage Racer (personal preference)
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo - swap for Worms
Syphon Filter - swap for Ghost in the Shell (hidden ps1 gem, imo)
Tekken 3 - swap for Tekken 2 (again, just a personal preference)
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six - swap for Doom
Twisted Metal - swap for Twisted Metal: World Tour
Wild Arms - swap for Wipeout 2097
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I really don’t like Oddworld or Rayman, but I’m pretty happy with the rest. I’d have loved Destruction Derby 2 rather than the first one, but otherwise there’s a couple I never really got my money’s worth out of (Resi and GTA), a couple I loved but haven’t played for decades (Ridge Racer and Tekken), and most of them are games I never played because I couldn’t afford to buy them at the time. Stoked about Twisted Metal - I played the demo more than I played most games I paid for, but have never played the whole thing! I won’t be cancelling the preorder.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think it's a bad line up at all, personally. Fairly representative of the PS1. There are a few notable absences, Crash, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo etc, but I was actually fairly impressed with it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I don't think the lineup is bad per se, but like with the SNES Mini before it, I think it only scratches the surface. Some noticeable absentees here, like various JRPGs (FF VI, Suikoden I & II, Xenogears), Castlevania SotN, Ape Escape, RE2 & 3, Dino Crisis, Legacy of Kain, WipeOut, plus many others that have been mentioned already. The base controller is also an odd choice - MGS is a real chore to play through with just the D-Pad, for example.

These mini console re-releases would be a fantastic opportunity to put some effort into celebrating a specific platform's legacy, and to a certain extent they are, but they also seem like low-effort cash grabs at the same time. Don't think I'll be getting this one.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I think the likelihood of finding a line-up that pleases absolutely everyone was never going to happen. I guess it depends on what motivation people are buying the PlayStation Classic for. My pre-order remains - it's not everything I want, but it feels relatively reflective of the era, and like the NES/SNES Mini's - I just kinda like owning them. They're awesome!

The Japanese PlayStation store is excellent for accessing the prohibitively expensive titles for very cheap (LSD, Harmful Park, Zanac x Zanac, Panzer Bandit), and you can chuck them onto your Vita too. And I've got my US PSN account to fill in further gaps. So content wise, I'm pretty sated.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Twisted Metal is fine, but it was a very early ps1 game and plays more like a proof of concept - the sequel is so, so much better - one of my most played games on the system. I imagine the same is true of Destruction Derby - I'd personally have steered clear of including pretty much any games released that early in the console's life cycle tbh. PSX must be the system that has the biggest leap in quality between the early games and what the developers were able to squeeze out of the system later on - in fact I seem to remember at the time game journalists would refer to distinct 'generations' of ps1 games to delineate how much they had improved technically over time.

Imo games like GTA and Syphon Filter played pretty damn rough even at the time - god knows how they'll hold up now. It's probably best they're not including any of the Tomb Raider games for the same reason.
I don't think it's a bad line up at all, personally. Fairly representative of the PS1. There are a few notable absences, Crash, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo etc, but I was actually fairly impressed with it.
Fair enough. For me there's just a few too many release-window curios and too many titles bordering on esoteric (Persona, Mr Driller, Intelligent Qube) at the expense of iconic PS1 franchise entries for it to feel really representative, but as I said before, they're probably limited as to what they can and can't include for various reasons.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I'll definitely pick one up if it turns out to be as easily hackable as the NES/SNES Classic - I'd kill for a unit with the exact lineup I posted above - but my experience with various PSX emulators make me suspect that it won't be quite so straightforward.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:23 pm I think the likelihood of finding a line-up that pleases absolutely everyone was never going to happen.
Well, how about this. Put a blank HDD in the base unit, make as many PS1 titles digitally available without any regional lockout, and allow customers to download 20 titles of their choosing free of charge, plus 10€/£/$ for every additional title.

Basically, a classic gaming custom buffet. Wouldn't that make everyone happy?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 29th, 2018, 9:23 pm I think the likelihood of finding a line-up that pleases absolutely everyone was never going to happen.
Well, how about this. Put a blank HDD in the base unit, make as many PS1 titles digitally available without any regional lockout, and allow customers to download 20 titles of their choosing free of charge, plus 10€/£/$ for every additional title.

I was genuinely surprised that the unit doesn’t tap into the psone classics on the store. Even if they kept the prices the same they would make a fortune me thinks.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: October 30th, 2018, 6:29 pm I was genuinely surprised that the unit doesn’t tap into the psone classics on the store. Even if they kept the prices the same they would make a fortune me thinks.
Yeah, exactly. Or at least leaving the door open with exchangeable HDD / controllers plus the option to download additional titles from the store. That way, you could combine the old-school aesthetics of plugging a dedicated hardware into your TV while also offering a bare minimum of customization for those who want to turn this into their own ultimate PS1 experience.

But nope. Cheap cash grab and arbitrary restrictions it is.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Seeing Cool Boarders 2 on there is such a welcome thing.

I spent an awful lot of time with this game and look back on it extremely fondly.

Destruction Derby is also pleasant to see, although the second one is that much better, it sort of makes the first one look a bit out of place.

The Directors cut of Resident Evil, is again a nostalgia trip for me as that was the very forts version of any RE game I played - so I'm chuffed to see that version on the list.

Just like the Nintendo classic consoles, this is aimed at the nostalgia crew who want a few hours with some games they used to play when they were young. The fact that it is easy to simply plug into a modern panel and get reasonable results, is a million times more convenient than getting hold of a PS1, CRT, cables, frustration, expensive discs, etc.....
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 30th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Stop trying to make everyone happy!!! :x

That would be a good solution though. But like you say, at the end of the day, it's just a cash grab. Some of that cash will be mine, but hey, I only have myself to blame!

Like this Ars article points out, they'd have to deal with Activision and EA, two very money-hungry companies, for the rights to some of the games, so it's not that surprising to see this particular line up. Nintendo at least had the advantage of owning their own IP.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The 3 that jump out I already own on Vita (FFVII, MGS and RE) so not enthused to purchase.

I would have thought Dino Crisis was a no brainer!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They way the announcement is worded does make me think they’re planning to add more to it. It explicitly refers to the games as an initial list.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

PS Plus November line-up looks like this:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition (PS4)
Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PS3)
Arkedo Series (PS3)
Burly Men At Sea (PS Vita + PS4)
Roundabout (PS Vita + PS4)

I know those who were hankering for some AAA options will be happy but I own all of them bar roundabout which I hear is bonkers so a nice consolation.