The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Darren and Josh both have that problem too.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I was ok with 70% of Abzu, because a lot of it was nice friendly fish under water. There are sharks though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The enclosed areas are absolutely lovely but...brrrr...the blue blue depths...there's one particular moment which made me shudder.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed it, but I know exactly what you mean. Bizarrely enough, I used to get that feeling with Ecco The Dolphin. :oops:

It's something about the complete unknowness and vastness of the ocean. I've always has this, almost but not quite fear of such huge creatures like the whales, but it just didn't seem to kick in when playing Abzu.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Weird PS4 thing - so, you know when you put your PS4 in to rest mode? Is it completely silent? As in the same as if you've actually turned it off properly? Because I'm sure mine used to be. For the last couple of weeks I've noticed that when it's in rest mode it's still kind of ticking over. Not literally ticking, but you know, purring along at a very low level.

Now I'm positive this didn't used to happen, and have tried everything to rectify it. I've made sure no pad is plugged in and charging. I've made sure it's not downloading any updates, I've even tried switching from a LAN connection to Wi-Fi and back again. But it's still doing it.

One of two things is true here. Either;

- It has always done this, but for some reason I've never noticed it before.

Or,

- Something is causing it to have suddenly started doing it.

Any ideas!? Thanks :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well, depending on your settings it will be downloading updates and so on while in rest mode, so the HDD will probably make a few ticks and hums, plus the fan might come on if it detects the temp getting too high.

Perhaps it's the warmer weather, possibly combined with a buildup of dust inside the machine?

I can't really tell which of my consoles are making any noise while idle as they are sat next to each other.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The PS4 internal hard drive can be quite noisy if it's pulling down large updates while in 'rest' mode. At least with the original launch machines.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I thought of that, but I've checked and it's not downloading any updates. It seems to be connected to when I took it upstairs for the evening, and it's been doing it since I brought it back down. Of course, there's every chance it's always done it too! The annoying thing is, even in rest mode, if you touch it, it's really warm... :/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

PS+ games for June have been leaked early by the official Turkish PS site.

Life Is Strange and Killing Floor 2.

Always a little disappointing when it's a game you already own, but Life Is Strange was utterly brilliant so hopefully more people will give it a go before the sequel comes out.

Killing Floor 2 I've not even heard of, but it appears to have been reviewed very well, and I would be right up for some mindless shooting actually, so pleased with that.

No word on Vita/PS3 offerings yet.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone bought the Wipeout Omega collection? There's something I'm not sure about and can't seem to find info online.

I know it's a collection of 3 old games, but are they separate as in you get a menu and pick which you want to play, or are all 3 sets of tracks and ships etc all integrated together in to one big game? Given a choice, I would prefer the latter, as much as I enjoy the series I'm not going to sit through 3 completely separate but actually almost identical games, whereas if they're all in one so to speak it would make for a much better experience I think.

Just wondered if anyone knew?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's a compilation of WipEout 2048, WipEout HD and WipEout Fury. Each game is available from a front end menu.
Fury already worked like this as it was an add-on to HD.

You can jump between them very quickly and easily at any time, hopping between events and so on, but it is effectively a compilation of three (or at least two and a half) titles.

2048 (the Vita game) is first on the menu as it is effectively a 'prequel' showing the 'history' of the sport.
That is also (obviously) the game with the biggest upgrades - HD and Fury already ran at 1080p 60 on PS3, so unless you have a Pro and a 4K screen you're getting pretty much the same thing again, only with faster loading.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I bought it, the games are separated. It's still worth buying though, as NA never got a physical release for Wipeout Fury and I never played the Vita game.

They look and play great.

For JRPG fans

.hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced As An HD Remaster With New Elements And Systems
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/13/ha ... s-systems/

Looks like a full remaster ala FF12, and not a port.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks both, hmm might pick that up then when I have some spare cash. I loved the Vita version so that on the big telly with sparklier graphics sounds cool.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I've been exclusively Xbox One so far this generation simply because I could only afford to pick one of the big two, and I was already a 360 owner.

I would like to change that, because there's simply far too much interesting stuff on PlayStation to ignore any longer. However, money is still relatively tight.

As a complete novice on all things PlayStation, could someone tell me if I can get away with an OG Playstation 4, or should I really be upgrading to at least a Slim, if not a Pro? Bearing in mind I play on a tiny, non-4K TV anyway, I'm certainly not looking for the beefier console for visuals alone. Equally I'm not in a position to buy hundreds of games, so a big hard drive isn't a concern either. Is there any other reason I should consider the Slim or Pro? Are original PlayStation 4s prone to any issues I should know about? I should mention that I'm more than likely going second hand here unless I can find a crazy deal.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I think the original PS4 model would be perfectly sufficient in your case. I'm using mine almost every day as my primary console and it's working without any issue. The 500GB does fill up rather quickly, though. Depending on how many downloadable games you plan to buy, of course.

In short, if you can find a Slim for the same price as an original model, I'd say go for it. But don't worry about missing out on anything or about buying a piece of junk like the original 360 model if you can't.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Nothing wrong with the originals. Buy one and a USB3 external drive, probably cheaper to do that and gain a 2TB external storage than grabbing a 1TB slim.
I've done that for both our original XBOX Ones and in some cases it's faster than having the games on the drive in the machine as the OS can run on the internal drives whilst all the game access is running externally.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Thanks both. Definitely in agreement about the external HD, that's how I'm running things on my One.

And yes, it was my rubbish experiences with the original 360 (and the original PlayStation 3 for that matter) that had me paranoid! :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Agree with both posts - I've had a PS4 from near the start and it has seen very heavy use and I've had no issues. There was talk of excessive fan noise early on but I haven't had that at all. Overall it's been a real workhorse and I'm not bothered about upgrading to a Pro at all; if I was buying a new one I would probably consider it but it really is not a factor for me. I generally play single games to completion and then delete them so space is not an issue, but have seven or eight installed at any one time.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Also, something to bear in mind: PSN has been in pretty much permanent-sale mode this year, with different groups of games on sale every few weeks. It's been great to see this happen, as not long ago the prices were painful. So it's not necessary to jump in and buy Bloodborne straight away at a high price, if you wait it will likely be on offer again very shortly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Indeed I picked Bloodborne up for 15 quid at Christmas, DIRT Rally for the same, and Witcher 3 is even cheaper at the moment. PSN has some good sales on, it's always worth waiting. In fact I've only ever paid full price for one game on there I think - 30 for The Witness which was then in a sale for half that about a month later. Stung a little, but I sure as hell got my monies worth regardless.