The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Stanshall »

I also binned it this month for the first time since about 2011 or something. I hardly ever use the PS4 and I haven't downloaded one of the PS+ games in...I literally can't remember. The last one I played was The Binding of Isaac Rebirth. I just considered it online tax but I realised it's a waste of money for me now.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Ok folks, question for you. Thinking of getting a second hand Vita. Now I've heard that the first generation is somehow preferable to the second, though I've yet to find a layman's explanation as to why. I also don't really know how to identify one from the other; CeX for example only differentiates between "3G" and "Wifi" variants, is that one of the differences between the two generations?

Any general advice on Vita purchase, play, maintenance is appreciated. And which games to go for of course!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hi Kintaris,

I have recently just picked up a second hand vita myself. I owned one previously (first gen) and first gen again this time so cannot comment on the difference between the 2.

I would recommend picking up as large a memory card as possible when you pick it up. I have picked up a 8gb one this time and I have around 6 or so games downloaded.

I would say the cons with the vita is the store and downloading stuff is a bit fiddly in my opinion. Also the touch pad on the back can be a pain.

I would say the battery life is better than the Switch and it charges quick

I picked mine up primarily to replay Resi 2 and 3 and to use the remote play via PS4 to play the telltale stuff I have on backlog. It was nice not realising I had bought Metal Gear Solild 1, 2 and 3 Resi 1, 2 and 3 and FFVII previously so had it to download.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The first model had a completely different type of screen, which was vastly better than later versions.

And the Vita is probably one of my favorite consoles of all time. It's a handheld that's got it all. Want big console releases? Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway, Assassins Creed, Need For Speed etc. Want smaller indie games? It has so many stone cold classics.

Vita has good battery life, is relatively easy to fix if it goes wrong, has a fantastic game library, and can do remote play. Awesome machine.

(Its definitely not worth getting a 3G model. You can just tether to your phone if you ever find yourself in the bizarre situation of absolutely having to connect to online whilst out and about)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: August 6th, 2018, 10:03 am The first model had a completely different type of screen, which was vastly better than later versions.

And the Vita is probably one of my favorite consoles of all time. It's a handheld that's got it all. Want big console releases? Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway, Assassins Creed, Need For Speed etc. Want smaller indie games? It has so many stone cold classics.

Vita has good battery life, is relatively easy to fix if it goes wrong, has a fantastic game library, and can do remote play. Awesome machine.

(Its definitely not worth getting a 3G model. You can just tether to your phone if you ever find yourself in the bizarre situation of absolutely having to connect to online whilst out and about)
Agree with all the above. I recently worked out my Vita remains the console I'd keep in the scenario I am told I can only have one console. I absolutely love it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Adding to the Vita love here. Its my favourite portable to just actually hold and physically use. Given that its digital library includes PSP games and PS1 classics it has a massive library.

Regarding the two versions, they are a bit different looking and images of both are on the Vita's wikipedia page which also sets out the differences between the two. The first version is regarded as having a much better screen, an OLED screen rather than the LCD screen in the 2nd gen and that was definitely the main point everyone talked about when the 2nd gen was released.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Excellent, thanks everyone. And yes, quite aware that a lot of people adore it; half the reason I'm getting one is because I'm jealous of being left out of the conversation :lol:

The other half is the rather poor showing we have on TrueTrophies for Vita guides and walkthroughs, hoping to correct that somewhat!

Thanks Colin regards the Wikipedia page. Somehow I hadn't thought of that...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

All this Vita talk had me picking up Resogun last night - I've enjoyed that game since release but it finally clicked how to play it properly and I clocked up a 6m points score which is my best by some distance. I think there's a lot more left in the tank (got some way to go to touch Alex79UK's score!!!) and I can't wait to get back into it. It might even be better than Super Stardust...

Loving this type of game more and more, and the Vits is simply the perfect platform for it. This, Super Stardust, TxK, Velocity X etc etc etc the list goes on. The Switch has a LONG way to go to even get close!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It has probably been answered elsewhere but why isn't Dino Crisis on the vita store or anywhere else?. Can you get it on PS3?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You’ll need to make a US PSN account, which is pretty easy.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 7th, 2018, 12:07 pm You’ll need to make a US PSN account, which is pretty easy.
Wow had no idea. After some messing around with my Amazon account I have downloaded Dino Crisis 1 and 2. Dino Crisis is a game I never got round to finishing back in the day. Any recommendations for my last $8 I have to spend!?. Thanks Leon!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Einhander!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:24 am All this Vita talk had me picking up Resogun last night - I've enjoyed that game since release but it finally clicked how to play it properly and I clocked up a 6m points score which is my best by some distance. I think there's a lot more left in the tank (got some way to go to touch Alex79UK's score!!!) and I can't wait to get back into it. It might even be better than Super Stardust...

Loving this type of game more and more, and the Vits is simply the perfect platform for it. This, Super Stardust, TxK, Velocity X etc etc etc the list goes on. The Switch has a LONG way to go to even get close!
Oh Resogun is definitely better than Super Stardust! I spy a score war coming on, haha. And yeah there are loads of great shooters on Vita. Sine Mora, Dariusburst, Soldner X2 (I think it is...) loads of good ones.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Yo, I heard Resogun? And highscore-chasing? Sign me up or something. :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:08 pmEinhander!
Bless You!!! :lol:

Will check it out
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm ...Yo, I heard Resogun? And highscore-chasing? Sign me up or something. :lol:
Go on then, on Vita though!

EDIT: Dammit it was PS+ wasn't it. I can't play till the end of the month now :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm afraid I don't have a Vita... I don't suppose the leaderboards are cross-platform?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think they are, but we can always do it on PS4 anyway, it's cross buy so most Vita owners will have a PS4 and own it I expect.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That'd be cool, kinda like a side competition for the upcoming podcast. I usually play Survival, which I don't think many people will have as it's a separate DLC, but I'm always up for replaying the arcade mode anyway.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: August 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm ...Yo, I heard Resogun? And highscore-chasing? Sign me up or something. :lol:
Go on then, on Vita though!

EDIT: Dammit it was PS+ wasn't it. I can't play till the end of the month now :(
Dude - it's £2.50 right now in the sale.

...I'm almost annoyed I can't buy it again at that price