Destiny / The Taken King

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Destiny

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I downloaded Destiny from PSN day one (minute one actually), and so paid £54.99. I must have played it for around 30-something hours at least so it didn't represent terrible value for money (though clearly not as good as for those of you who have played 500+ hours or whatever.

But I don't really want to shell out £35 for a disc version. I'd be happier to be able to get both previous add-ons and The Taken King as a digital add-on for, say, £25...
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion wrote:I downloaded Destiny from PSN day one (minute one actually), and so paid £54.99. I must have played it for around 30-something hours at least so it didn't represent terrible value for money (though clearly not as good as for those of you who have played 500+ hours or whatever.

But I don't really want to shell out £35 for a disc version. I'd be happier to be able to get both previous add-ons and The Taken King as a digital add-on for, say, £25...
I get that, and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with Bungie for how much arrogance they've shown over the whole DLC thing.
I grabbed the Legendary edition of Destiny shortly after buying a PS4, unluckily for me, I started to find my feet with the game and start playing the fun stuff (raids) around about the time when everyone else was starting to tail off into playing other things.

Because I got the legendary edition, I got both of the DLC packs bundled in, I was playing a the time with someone who did not own the DLC, so I never really played on either, from what I did play, I do not feel that either of the DLC packs were worth the £20 price tag, even under the argument that I've played the game for a long time, so buying the DLC is showing support.

If you've never played Destiny before, then I think that £35 is great value (although you could contest that buying a vanilla copy of destiny second hand for £10 is significantly better). The problem is that £35 isn't really great value if all you wanted to do was play the most recent expansion, you're forced into buying both expansion packs, then buying the new DLC.
If you do that through the PSN store, you're looking at dropping about £60.
I can't help but feel that's taking the piss a little...

Lucky for me, I had some games to trade in, so it made the £35 more affordable, but even so, doesn't really excuse the hot mess that is Destiny expansion..
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Destiny / The Taken King

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fair comments one and all.

Of course, if The Taken King really does 'fix' a lot of the things that drove me away from Destiny then the £35 wouldn't necessarily be a steep price - if I were to get another 35-50 hours or so of play out of the whole caboodle.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Well, the fixes for TTK have been rolled back into vanilla destiny, so you could just have another crack at destiny like it was a new game.
I'm sure you'd find some willing volunteers to take you through the raid and whatnot.
If you're hankering for more after that, then it's a little easier to justify another £35...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye, I should re-download the updated vanilla game and see how I like it before spending anything, you're quite right.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I spent a few hours playing The Taken King DLC last night and I've got to say, I'm impressed.

You can tell Bungie have taken on board the storyline based criticism as The Taken King adds plenty of lore to the game. There's also been a fair few cut scenes in the time I've played it which were few and far between in the vanilla game. So far it's all been pretty epic and great fun. The new hammer ability for my Titan is awesome.

I've only played one of the new multiplayer maps but again, it was really well designed and I look forward to seeing what the other new maps have to offer.

As far as the 2.0 update goes, this is how the levelling and progression should have been from day one. You really do feel like you're actually making progress now rather than relying on lucky pick ups to get your level up.

I was at level 32 prior to the update and Taken King DLC being released, and based on around 3 hours play last night I'm now level 36 so it doesn't take long to rank up.

I can't wait to get home and play some more this evening. And if anyone ever fancies doing a raid let me know, it's still something I've not experienced due to my friends that played Destiny dropping off before I had a chance to give them a go.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion wrote:Aye, I should re-download the updated vanilla game and see how I like it before spending anything, you're quite right.
Well, if you're on PS4, I'd happily go for a raid attempt again. Unfortunately at the moment, due to having rcently had a baby, I'm massivly unreliable for actually being online. I do know that McFluffin is on regularly though.

Out of interest, what was it that stopped you playing the first time around? (apologies f you've mentioned already)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Pitwar wrote:...and if anyone ever fancies doing a raid let me know, it's still something I've not experienced due to my friends that played Destiny dropping off before I had a chance to give them a go.
I was late to the part when it came to raids, but man, I'm so glad that I managed to have a go.
It felt like that's really what destiny should have been leading up to. everyone needs to co-ordinate and play their part.
The first time I tried a raid, I was at level 24, and it was tough, but surrounded by people who were a higher level (and also a friendly bunch) I got revived soon enough. At level 28 it was much easier. I should imagine that trying to do the vault of glass at a higher level would make it much easier.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Well hopefully we can get a C&R group together to give them a bash. Would be great to see what they are like first hand.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I guess the nice thing about the raids, is you get a dew good checkpoints, so you can split the effort up over a few evenings.
So long as you're done within a week, everything resets on Tuesday night...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've still not attempted the vault of glass :(
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I finished The Taken King story quests and hit level 40 last night.

A load of new quests have opened up though so there's still plenty to keep me busy from this latest batch of DLC.

Destiny is so bloody addictive, I should be cracking on with MGSV, not playing a game I've owned for a year with some new maps ;-)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I think it's excellent value, it's changed up the game almost entirely. I absolutely love it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Level means nothing now - all about light.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Ended up buying back in! Though since we had to pay for the base game again to get all the DLC we pitch for an XBOX One version so that didn't go to waste. There's logic in that somewhere ;)
Presently Linda and I are low twenties and just going through the two older DLCs.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Never been interested in the main game part of Destiny but I'd love to tackle the raids one day. Do you still have to hit a certain level to unlock them in TTK? If not, I'd one day be tempted to pick it up and try it. And also find a couple more online mates to join in.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Going to get ttk today, I'm a level 27 currently so I'm hoping levelling up is simpler now?.
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

Levelling is just based on XP now so its much easier, if anyone ever wants to run a raid just add me on PSN and twitter and i'll try and sort one
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not really getting on with Metal Gear so picked up TTK yesterday after trading in some stuff.

So if anyone wants to do some retro gaming and run the vault of glass with me next Tuesday evening about 9pm please let me know. Otherwise I'll be round most nights for stuff hopefully so add me on PSN if you're not already (domsbeard).

Spent 30 minutes playing last night and after one mission nearly levelled to 28 without equipping new boots! :)