Dishonored

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Toffer

Re: Dishonored

Post by Toffer »

Very excited for this one, been following since it's announcement due to the developers having their hands in previous titles such as Half Life 2, Dark Messiah, etc etc.

Played it at Eurogamer and loved it. Day one purchase! And probably my only one for a while due to a severe lack of funds.
jwalsh82

Post by jwalsh82 »

JaySevenZero wrote:
jwalsh82 wrote:Funilly enough I didn't like Bioshock or Assassin's Creed (need to give those another go) but this looks brilliant - and will be a nice change of pace from Darksiders II.
Curious to know why you didn't get on with either of those two games?
I found Assassin's Creed too samey, and never got around to playing the others. I want to give them a go as they have all had great reviews since the first one.

With Bioshock - the demo was too jumpy and put me off :geek: but, since then I have developed my gaming so I'm sure it would be fine to play, just always never gotten around to either of the series.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I would certainly agree that the first AC was samey (still really enjoyed it though) but the sequels really improve this issue and are very good games in their own right. As for the Bioshock games, I would implore you to give them another shot as they are, in my opinion, classics.

It's no bad thing not have played them at this point as is so often the case these days, it makes for some very cheap gaming if you decide to revisit them now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The reviews are in for Dishonored and the word is that it lives up to the potential.
Big week for top-notch titles with this and XCOM on the same day.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, every other review seems to be a 9. Proper excited to get into this now.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've pre-ordered the PC version from Shopto. Not something I often do, but I was probably going to play this anyway as a fan of Deus Ex (which seemed to big this game's biggest influence), and skimming a couple of reviews has sealed the deal.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

Having played the demo at Eurogamer I came away feeling like I'd played it all before and wondering what the fuss and high scoring reviews are all about. I'd love to try the demo again just to see if it tweaks for me. I loved the original thief games and worship HL2's art design/direction, I "should" like this, having so many options to choose how you go about your mission sounds like a real exciting prospect.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

ryan_astley wrote:Having played the demo at Eurogamer I came away feeling like I'd played it all before and wondering what the fuss and high scoring reviews are all about. I'd love to try the demo again just to see if it tweaks for me. I loved the original thief games and worship HL2's art design/direction, I "should" like this, having so many options to choose how you go about your mission sounds like a real exciting prospect.
I wonder if it just a game that doesn't demo that well? Seems like there is a lot to get into. I've gambled on not trying a demo, because even it is only average, I think the style of game means I stick with it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Arrived this morning! All set up on my PC and ready to play this evening.

There was a setting in the graphics options called 'Rat Shadows'. Sure, why not!?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm a couple chapters in, and, I'm struggling to see what everyone's raving about. Hoping it's a slow burn.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm a couple of levels in and I'm loving it. I was sold as soon as I read the first preview in Edge.

I love the character design and level design. I would prefer to have an open world to explore using the cool traversal abilities but all the levels are pretty big.

I got 25% on Green Man Gaming and unlocked it early using an IP masking thing (frowned upon apparently).

Up there with Borderlands, Dark Souls PTD and Walking Dead for GOTY if it stays as good as it's been so far.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

It's definitely one of the best games of 2012, genuinely glad I bought it. After the "it's good...no it's annoying...now it's good"-ness of Resi 6, it's a relief to play something that starts great and goes from there.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

I took a complete U turn, caved in a bought this today. The demo at Eurogamer really didn't show the game in a positive light, but anyway.
The art direction and environment design is up there with HL2, and even on 360 wherete textures are very low res and there are hardly any normal maps used it still looks wonderful.
Also the combat and movement (love the Blink move) are much better than I remember. A great game so far
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I think I'm commiting to a non-lethal playthrough. Though I've only just finished the first propper mission.

I've felt a bit clumsy a few times, and I think it is a shame there doesn't seem to be a 'knock-out' blow you can use in a fight if you mess up. One thing I liked about Deus Ex HR was if you got spotted you could still use non-lethal force. Maybe I'll get a blunt weapon or something soon.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I heard some bad things about the textures on the 360 version so I went PS3 after looking at comparison shots (needless to say my PC wouldn't run it).
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

magicjoef wrote:I think I'm commiting to a non-lethal playthrough. Though I've only just finished the first propper mission.

I've felt a bit clumsy a few times, and I think it is a shame there doesn't seem to be a 'knock-out' blow you can use in a fight if you mess up. One thing I liked about Deus Ex HR was if you got spotted you could still use non-lethal force. Maybe I'll get a blunt weapon or something soon.
I noticed one loading screen say something like "you don't have to fight, you can run". Personally though, when guards attack me, I go "oh yeah? Fuck you!" and kill them.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

The good thing is the textures rely more on use of colour than defining form. They look mostly hand painted, I just wonder if the PC version makes use of normal maps on all surfaces as it'd add so much more when you stop to look around
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've noticed a few dodgy textures here and there on my PC, but mainly looking great. Very clean looking and crisp (not sure of how maps etc work so can't go into technical detail!).
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

AndyKurosaki wrote:
magicjoef wrote:I think I'm commiting to a non-lethal playthrough. Though I've only just finished the first propper mission.

I noticed one loading screen say something like "you don't have to fight, you can run". Personally though, when guards attack me, I go "oh yeah? Fuck you!" and kill them.
That's just about my play style on all stealth games.

Very impressed with this so far, and it sure is pretty.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

just finished it, mainly stealthy but if someone died hey shit happens, although I did never kill a main target (I love how that's an option). I will be coming back for a few more play thoughs didn't really try any of the combat based abilities since I ran if I ever got spotted.

I really hope that it sellsenough for a sequel, the story does wrap itself up but I really want to see more of the world, there is some really cool fiction that barely gets touched and when it does it's only via the heart talking(the heart can "talk" if you "use" it, only found out about 2/3rds through) and books