Dishonored

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Toffer

Re: Dishonored

Post by Toffer »

magicjoef wrote:I did it the other way around, and look forward to going back for a carnage playthrough :D

Can you start over keeping the upgrades you already have?

Don't think so. It's a totally fresh playthrough.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's on it's way from Lovefilm, can't wait! :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got a week off work and I rented this from Blockbuster for the week. I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. Only on the second mission but it just hasn't grabbed me yet.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So far so good I'm enjoying this game. I like the fact you keep picking up little missions in game and there really is an incentive to explore to collect runes and bone fragments. I've decided to level up the slow time mechanic as I was tempted to do the 'force push' one but I'm pretty used to that now with Skyrim so I thought I'd go for a change.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Started playing this yesterday and it's safe to say I'm engrossed. Absolutely enthralled by the distinctive art design within this title - quite possible one of most evocative settings I've seen in a game. It wears its influences on its sleeve for sure, but it has enough of its own flavour never to make it feel like a carbon copy. I'm liking the way the gameplay is structured too, giving the player freedom to improvise whilst also making those decisions carry weight and consequence within the world.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Really enjoyed this game. I actually like the fact it's not that long which I think encourages multiple playthroughs. Setting is really well realised, what a world they've created with Dunwall
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I sent it back to Lovefilm about half way through. I love playing stealth in games and I felt it was far too punishing to play it that way. I'll definitely get it again at some point.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:I sent it back to Lovefilm about half way through. I love playing stealth in games and I felt it was far too punishing to play it that way. I'll definitely get it again at some point.
Funny you say that, I thought it was one of the most generous stealth games I've ever played!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It was a bit better once you'd upgraded blink but it just didn't click with me.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

DomsBeard wrote:It was a bit better once you'd upgraded blink but it just didn't click with me.
Ah, I wouldn't know, I didn't upgrade Blink or purchase/use any powers. I think now having access allowed me to adapt a little quicker to the stealth and it's requirements as a result.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This game bored the hell out of me in the end. Didn't really enjoy it at all.
jwalsh82

Post by jwalsh82 »

JaySevenZero wrote:As for the Bioshock games, I would implore you to give them another shot as they are, in my opinion, classics.

It's no bad thing not have played them at this point as is so often the case these days, it makes for some very cheap gaming if you decide to revisit them now.
Jay, going back to this post - I have now played through Bioshock almost to completion (on the home stretch now -
Spoiler: show
found all the tonics to clear Fontaine from my mind, just looking to get to him now
) and I have to say it is a wonderful game.

Not sure what I was worried about to be honest, I have really enjoyed this and eager now to get home and finish the last half hour or so (what seems to be left).

Thanks for the push :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

jwalsh82 wrote:Thanks for the push :D
Anytime! :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/04/12/disho ... l-pc-6-40/

I just ordered Knife of Dunwall from Green Man Gaming.

The low price is good but I hope it doesn't signify a lack of content. I was hoping for a large expansion.

I love Dishonored and playing Bioshock 3 has inspired me to go back to Dunwall for a very hard play through and new content coming out around the same time is a big bonus.

It will be jarring to have a talkie protagonist in Dishonored though.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

That price sounds about right, equates to around 800msp on XBL which is the cost of a decent sized piece of DLC.
Rich

Post by Rich »

NokkonWud wrote:That price sounds about right, equates to around 800msp on XBL which is the cost of a decent sized piece of DLC.
I know but I wanted a Dragon Age Awakening or Lost and Damned style expansion so it being cheap dashes my hopes a bit.
I'm still looking forward to it though. Killing people other than Douds men felt wrong in Dishonored so playing as Doud could be very exciting.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: This week's podcast: Dishonored

Post by ratsoalbion »

We're recording our Dishonored issue on Thursday July 5th so please get your posts in by then if you have anything you'd like to share about the main game and/or Knife of Dunwall.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's a quick rinse or two of me playing this game. I go guns blazing and sneaky sneaky during an early mission in the game. Check it!

http://www.YouTube.com/caneandrinse
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The release of this game coincided nicely with a week I'd booked off work, so I thought I'd rent it from our local (now defunct) Blockbuster and play through it. Skip to the end - I didn't like it. I don't generally enjoy stealth games anyway - I never liked Thief, hadn't at this point ever played a Hitman game, and the Splinter Cell series I could take or leave. This interested me though. I liked the look of the setting, the graphics style, the abilities you could unlock. But as I played the game I just found myself becoming bored by it. I think the game had lots of good ideas, wrapped up in a pretty dull world. The graphical style that looked so impressive in early screenshots just looked washed out when playing, the whole tone was one of smudgy browns, greens and greys. It was like playing with pond water. I thought the missions (and locations) were very repetitive (with the only stand out mission for me being visiting the brothel). I don't know, I don't have a lot to say about the game really, it didn't even inspire me to rant off about it, I just found the whole experience thoroughly 'meh'. And the ending!? Terrible.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Pretty much agree with the above, found it uninspiring but didn't finish it. Will go back and finish it at some point though just got no desire to do it.