Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion » March 22nd, 2018, 7:24 pm

Um, couldn’t you just use the US ROM?

Suits

Post by Suits » March 22nd, 2018, 7:32 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 7:24 pm
Um, couldn’t you just use the US ROM?
If OP is using a flashcart then yeah, easy to fix.

I understand that there’s recently been a big uptake in people importing SFC carts to play full speed games, as they’re considerably cheaper than the US/NTSC version carts.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 22nd, 2018, 8:11 pm

I see.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 22nd, 2018, 8:34 pm

I only got caught by the bloody world shrinking in my game. I couldn't run fast enough to safety haha.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

seansthomas wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 7:07 pm
ThirdMan wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 12:02 pm
I just came 2nd place in a sickeningly intense final exchange. I'm sure this mobile version will have its detractors, but my dry mouth and shaking hands is enough to tell me that this is PUBG. No doubt about that.
This bodes well for a Switch port too.
Absolutely. The Switch would be a perfect fit. But can we see Nintendo allowing a drip-released game? I'm not so sure. I think they'd want to see a finished product before it hits their store.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » March 22nd, 2018, 9:27 pm

It’s not like there’s much in the way of vital text in Mario world. I vaguely remember my first playthrough was on a friends Japanese copy.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 22nd, 2018, 9:29 pm

Absolutely, most of us will have played through far more involved/text heavy games in Japanese I would think.

Suits

Post by Suits » March 22nd, 2018, 10:56 pm

It’s only in some of the more taxing Special levels that the mic boxes give you clues on how to beat them.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 22nd, 2018, 10:57 pm

I've just put a few hours into Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Mactstat, of this very parish, described it as a 'diamond in the rough' and that pretty much sums it up. I'm playing on Xbox One and by all accounts that's the worst version. However it's received a number of patches so hopefully I've avoided the worst of it. In any event I've a long road ahead. I've heard that the combat never really comes together and the save system is so archaic that I actually thought it was a joke when I first read about it.

But there's enough here to keep me going. First off is the setting. Medieval Europe with real locations, such as Prague, being referred to in the game. Then there's the historical detail, with a codex full of interesting little tidbits about the role of women in society, the importance of bee-keeping, etc. All sorts of period detail. They're not essential to the game or the story but they develop your appreciation of the world. Valiant Hearts: The Great War did a similar thing with its collectibles.

Then there's religion. Has Christianity even been a religion in an RPG before? It's strange hearing the words 'Jesus Christ' being uttered in a videogame. It all feels very authentic. I'm not religious but I hope it continues being a background detail as I get further into the game because it feels very fresh, which is something I never thought I'd say about Christianity.

The various upgrades and interlocking systems appear to be so complex. It's a bit overwhelming, actually. Thankfully it all feels very new when compared to the usual fantasy upgrade trees. It's essentially the same thing of course, i.e. perks/buffs etc., but the change in presentation and nomenclature distinguishes it from similar titles.

Finally there's the characters. It's early days and perhaps the player character will eventually rise through the ranks, but at the moment it feels very local, very small, not the cataclysmic good versus evil showdown we've all been through before.

There's so much to like about this game. I just hope the developer's patchwork holds tight because I've heard of some game-ruining bugs. I'm also very worried about the save system. I enjoy difficult games but I hate replaying large sections of gameplay. I feel like those two factors are going to come crashing together at some point.

I wonder why this has received such a muted response? Was it just because of its technical performance or also because of the controversy surrounding its lead developer? Both, probably. It definitely deserves more love based on what I've played so far.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » March 23rd, 2018, 11:48 am

Well, its issues do become more pronounced the more you play. The saving thing isn't too bad - remember if you go to bed for an hour your game will save. I would say also that even though the game gives the impression that you can progress via speech skills alone, that is not true, and you need to spend quite a bit of time honing your fighting skills. Don't be fooled and neglect these. It also helps to buy a decent sword that suits your stats and fighting style (eg stab vs swipe) as the ones you find in the early game are just awful.

Stealing stuff is also very important early on, which might be an issue depending on the role you're playing.

I am playing Dead Space on the PS3. It is enjoyable; the sound design is a bit over the top but gets the job done. Weirdly, the developers have undercut the tension they've spent so much effort building by putting save points everywhere. But for a 10 year old game it doesn't show its age at all.

Silent Protagonists for the win. How much of a noob is Isaac in the intro sequence? :lol: (skip to 59 seconds)

Craig

Post by Craig » March 23rd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Just picked up Owlboy on the Switch which is currently 20% off in the EU store. I’m having a marvellous time so far. Wonderful graphics, smooth game play, and a charming style.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » March 23rd, 2018, 3:38 pm

Chopper wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 11:48 am

I am playing Dead Space on the PS3. It is enjoyable; the sound design is a bit over the top but gets the job done. Weirdly, the developers have undercut the tension they've spent so much effort building by putting save points everywhere. But for a 10 year old game it doesn't show its age at all.

Silent Protagonists for the win. How much of a noob is Isaac in the intro sequence? :lol: (skip to 59 seconds)

Snap!

It absolutely does not feel like a ten year old game and It’s remarkable how enjoyable it is even today.

Agree about the tension being nullified somewhat by the frequent save points. I think Alien isolation got this spot on but it’s tricky to balance given the instadeaths both games inflict upon you.

I struggled with the asteroid shooting which seemed quite impossible initially but eventually I succeeded by the skin of my teeth. Even this was quite exhilarating.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » March 24th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I'm just past the asteroid bit now, I'd forgotten what a PITA it was.

My plans have been derailed somewhat. I've been addicted to Out of the Park Baseball 18 for the last month. Yesterday I noticed OOTP19 had been released for preorder. :|

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 24th, 2018, 2:07 pm

I've been playing a whole lot more PUBG on mobile, with my eldest, Elliot, who's 11.

It is genuinely one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had. We've been teaming up as a duo, and it's been really good sneaking together through the map, pincer attacking people, holding our breath as we search the houses. Our highest rank so far is 4th, but if we get a chicken dinner I think we'll explode with excitement!

I've played games with him since he was about 4, but honestly this mobile phone game has probably been the most fun we've had. It's a really good bonding exercise!

EDIT: "A really good bonding exercise" is a really weird way of wording it! You know what I mean!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » March 24th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Nice! :D

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 24th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Congrats, Alex! :P

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 24th, 2018, 3:32 pm

I suspect its a lot easier on mobile due to the player base. Also, here's a tip, turn on the gyro aiming. It makes things so much easier and it's obvious most people aren't using it as they stand there, slowly trying to aim whilst I popped their head off haha.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 24th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
March 24th, 2018, 3:32 pm
I suspect its a lot easier on mobile due to the player base. Also, here's a tip, turn on the gyro aiming. It makes things so much easier and it's oblivious most people aren't using it as they stand there, slowly trying to aim whilst I popped their head off haha.
Semi-serious question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how comfortable are you with inconvenient, potentially earth-shattering truths?

If the answer is 7 or above:
Spoiler: show
Click at your own peril!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 24th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Haha well that explains things, and I can't say I'm not a little disappointed!