Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Simonsloth

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Simonsloth » May 19th, 2018, 8:37 pm

rob25X wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Just finished James Cameron's Avatar on Xbox 360, all I can say is.. Wow!

I don't know why this game received such poor reviews on release and has a Metacritic rating on just 61%. (User Score 6.9/10).

Firstly the game looks absolutely amazing with one of the most stunningly detailed game worlds of the last generation (360/PS3). Everything in the game looks gorgeous from the plants and skies to the lighting reflections and shadows on the Na'vi's.

The story is very well paced, the missions and gameplay varied and the game split path/two story playthrough of bad side (humans/RDA) and good side (Na'vi) was perfect. As the RDA(humans) I had a great time destroying the Na'vi's homeland and wiping them out and then for the second playthough I really felt a connection to the Na'vi with a sense of innocence and vulnerabilty. I didn't feel like an attacker at any point in their game, more like a defender. Amazing!
My only complaints about the game would be that the flight controls for the banshee's are somewhat awkward and the shutdown multiplayer (unobtainable Xbox achievements).

I will now do the PS3 version and I'm even considering playing the Wii version!

James Cameron's Avatar (2009). A superb game IMO. Well worth checking out.
Very interesting perspective. I wrote this off as one for the bargain bin but you’ve piqued my interest.

rob25X

Post by rob25X » May 19th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 8:37 pm
rob25X wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Just finished James Cameron's Avatar on Xbox 360, all I can say is.. Wow!

I don't know why this game received such poor reviews on release and has a Metacritic rating on just 61%. (User Score 6.9/10).

Firstly the game looks absolutely amazing with one of the most stunningly detailed game worlds of the last generation (360/PS3). Everything in the game looks gorgeous from the plants and skies to the lighting reflections and shadows on the Na'vi's.

The story is very well paced, the missions and gameplay varied and the game split path/two story playthrough of bad side (humans/RDA) and good side (Na'vi) was perfect. As the RDA(humans) I had a great time destroying the Na'vi's homeland and wiping them out and then for the second playthough I really felt a connection to the Na'vi with a sense of innocence and vulnerabilty. I didn't feel like an attacker at any point in their game, more like a defender. Amazing!
My only complaints about the game would be that the flight controls for the banshee's are somewhat awkward and the shutdown multiplayer (unobtainable Xbox achievements).

I will now do the PS3 version and I'm even considering playing the Wii version!

James Cameron's Avatar (2009). A superb game IMO. Well worth checking out.
Very interesting perspective. I wrote this off as one for the bargain bin but you’ve piqued my interest.
If you see it a bargain bin grab it. It's very underrated. I wasn't really a fan of the movie and really didn't expect to enjoy the game but after playing it for a short time I couldn't get enough of it. I even found myself stopping still at times just to spin the camera around slowly to take in the surroundings and stunning character details. It's game world is like nothing else I've ever played in. I guess it's a kind of visual effect of Bioshock mixed with Assassin's Creed if you can imagine that. It's Pandora... think of the movie as a game, it's really like that.

Not only does it look great but it plays great too. To say too much about the game would ruin it but there's a great mix of things to do. Oh, and scanning everything in the gameworld for info is a really nice touch. People, plants, objects, everything is of interest. Worth playing if only to experience Pandora for yourself.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » May 19th, 2018, 10:47 pm

It’s 2.50 on eBay so I’ve taken the plunge. It’ll be a while before I play it but I can’t imagine it being much cheaper in the future

rob25X

Post by rob25X » May 20th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 10:47 pm
It’s 2.50 on eBay so I’ve taken the plunge. It’ll be a while before I play it but I can’t imagine it being much cheaper in the future
Hope you like it then mate.

If you need any help with anything on it (collectibles or whatever) just drop me a message anytime.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm

I have no idea how far I'm in to God Of War now, I've played it solidly for 4 evenings so it must be at least 10-12 hours but I feel like I've barely started with the story. No major spoilers but I've only just...
Spoiler: show
...got to the first alternative realm.
Just been doing a lot of exploring and side stuff mainly. I take back what I said about it not being the best looking game on the PS4. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy did an amazing job of recreating realistic looking settings, but this is pure imagination. I've never seen a fantasy world look so good. Some of these areas looks incredible and total other worldly. Especially the area I mention in the spoiler tag.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 21st, 2018, 1:31 am

I love it when people dig into the fringes. Is it odd that I consider James Cameron's Avatar fringe? :?

In a week that see's the release of a brand-spanking-new life-shattering gift-from-the-God's-of-emotion game by David Cage, I'd thought I prepare myself by ignoring it and play the PS4 version Taiko no Tatsujin!

I plugged in my Hori taiko, and after some basic setup (despite being a Japanese release, menu's have English) I drummed poorly into the night. :lol:

This is my first foray into the Taiko franchise. I feel so much more comfortable on real drums! From a musician point of view when you read sheet music, it's usual page by page. And in Taiko, it's far more condensed and reactionary, where the gap between when the next note appears and the timing is tiny! It is primary a game, but yeah, it requires gaming, not musical skill!

Still, I replayed songs, and tried to top my last effort, so clearly I had some fun with it.

macstat

Post by macstat » May 21st, 2018, 10:02 am

I've been playing Pillars of Eternity 2 for a couple of days. I really enjoy it. It's surprisingly unique. In addition to expected Baldurs Gate like RPG, you get a significant portion of Pirates! and choose your own adventure type of game.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 21st, 2018, 1:02 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm
I take back what I said about it not being the best looking game on the PS4. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy did an amazing job of recreating realistic looking settings, but this is pure imagination.
Man, there's a bit I don't think you've go to yet - that blew my mind with, scale, awe and imagination that the PS4 Pro dealt with impeccably.

Makes me smile thinking about it now.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 21st, 2018, 1:22 pm

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 1:31 am
I love it when people dig into the fringes. Is it odd that I consider James Cameron's Avatar fringe? :?
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 1:31 am
I plugged in my Hori taiko
:lol:

kintaris

Post by kintaris » May 21st, 2018, 10:13 pm

Despite the increasing backlog I find myself replaying a game now old enough to take a GCSE - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I blame the Top 50 thread for this walk down memory lane.

This is definitely up there among the single figures in my all-time rankings. It's still surprisingly playable too, despite the jank and the terrible gunplay. I can't say the same for a lot of PS2 titles.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 22nd, 2018, 7:34 am

At the time, I always considered San Andreas to be my favorite of the original 3D trilogy. Recently though, I find myself more nostalgic for Vice City. I wish they'd remake it in the GTA V engine. Also, add planes.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » May 22nd, 2018, 8:00 am

Alex79uk wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 7:34 am
At the time, I always considered San Andreas to be my favorite of the original 3D trilogy. Recently though, I find myself more nostalgic for Vice City. I wish they'd remake it in the GTA V engine. Also, add planes.
Rockstar love a good pun and wordplay in general, so I hope they don't pass up an opportunity to make the next numbered sequel GTA VICE.

Vice City holds a special place for me because it was my first real window into 80s culture, and in the subsequent years I've fallen in love with so much more from that decade. I know it's laughable to get nostalgic for a time you weren't alive in, but I do wonder if I might have had a much better time had I been a late teen in the 80s.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 22nd, 2018, 8:28 am

Man, I was 18 when Vice City came out, played it solidly with mates for months.

I'm not generally a fan of sandbox games, especially large ones, I tend to get overcome with options and end up doing nothing, so Vice City was a more condensed version and was more appealing.

I can't remember what it was, although I remember being stuck on 99.9% completion, we'd done the Ambulance and Fire service missions but were stuck on something else.

I also remember that silly Easter Egg room :lol: .

Very good game, easily my personnel favorite in the entire series.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » May 22nd, 2018, 9:26 pm

Anyone else try the Onrush PS4 beta? Great to see some originality in a racer (with no races), but I found once you got past the initial thrill it soon felt very shallow and success very random.

I am really, really enjoying Golf Story on the Switch! As much as I want to get Ocarina of Time finished before I embark on Breath of the Wild, I’m struggling to pull myself away at the moment.

rob25X

Post by rob25X » May 22nd, 2018, 10:26 pm

stvnorman wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:26 pm
Anyone else try the Onrush PS4 beta? Great to see some originality in a racer (with no races), but I found once you got past the initial thrill it soon felt very shallow and success very random.

I am really, really enjoying Golf Story on the Switch! As much as I want to get Ocarina of Time finished before I embark on Breath of the Wild, I’m struggling to pull myself away at the moment.
A racer without races, how does that work then? Time trials?

What do you think of Ocarina of Time playing it in 2018? Wind Waker was my personal favourite in the series.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » May 22nd, 2018, 11:35 pm

rob25X wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 10:26 pm
A racer without races, how does that work then? Time trials?

What do you think of Ocarina of Time playing it in 2018? Wind Waker was my personal favourite in the series.
It’s my first Zelda game! Not sure how long I’ve played or how far to go but I’m at the Temple of Time. I’m playing on the 3DS and it’s definitely a bit clunky to control, and it’s occasionally rough around the edges, but it’s still very compelling, cleverly designed and hard to put down.

Onrush is a lot Motorstorm and a lot Burnout, but it’s team-based and you have to drive as crazy as you can, as fast as you can, taking down opponents, jumping, flipping, etc. to earn boost to make you even faster and earn points for your team. You keep going until one team beats the other team to a certain number of points, the round ends and you start again until one team wins a certain number of rounds. There’s several other modes in the final game, but I believe that’s the main one.

Todinho

Post by Todinho » May 23rd, 2018, 6:11 am

It's been a minute since I posted here, not been playing much though I was playing Divinity Original sin 2 but there were alot of small things in the game bugging like how the inventory is handled, how the maps works,vendors,pickpocketing and even stuff like the skills checks, for instance I can have my full party near me and start a conversation then the game asks for a speech check but the character that I started the conversation with doesnt have high speech so you're pretty much fucked because the game only recognizes the character that initialized the conversation so even if you have a speech master you cant use him even if he is right there, I get this was done because of the multiplayer so that players could do multiple things at once but playing it alone it is really annoying. None of these are major gamebreakers but they were getting on my nerves, so when they announced definitive edition coming in august I decided to stop playing and resume when all the new improvements roll in especially since they are completelly redoing chapter 3 which is apparently where the game shits the bed currently according to word of mouth.

Other then that I picked on a whim a new roguelike that came out called Wizard of legend, terrible name I know, but it's actually really fun, the combat has a big focus on combos which isnt something you expect to hear in a genre like this but its pretty interesting you have several spell slots you can place skills on and from there you kinda have to create a combination of spells that can overcome your enemies so you can opt for say a lightning build or a fire build or have a balance of all elements, have slow skills,quick skills,etc. Its actually really cool how you can customize your playstyle almost from the get go and of course you can expand that even more as you go on, it might sound like a weird comparison but its similar to God Hand in how you approach combat so you could say that this is the God Hand of roguelikes... :roll: One other thing it has in common with God Hand though is that is pretty hard I mean the first time you come across a boss expect to get demolished but as you unlock more moves, learn the enemy patterns and how best to play you will get the hang of it, I have to say that out of all roguelikes I've ever played this one feels the most skillbased out of any of them because of how you can control how you go into every run to a much higher degree and the mechanics are solid with combat being almost entirely skillbased there's no instant win setup. The one criticism I've seen leveled at the game is that it doesnt have enough stuff in the sense that areas, bosses and enemies repeat alot and while I think thats fair it doesnt bother me too much because your array of itens and skills is really varied and changing that is what matters most so Im good for now.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 23rd, 2018, 8:52 am

Todinho wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 6:11 am
It's been a minute since I posted here, not been playing much though I was playing Divinity Original sin 2 but there were alot of small things in the game bugging like how the inventory is handled, how the maps works,vendors,pickpocketing and even stuff like the skills checks, for instance I can have my full party near me and start a conversation then the game asks for a speech check but the character that I started the conversation with doesnt have high speech so you're pretty much fucked because the game only recognizes the character that initialized the conversation so even if you have a speech master you cant use him even if he is right there, I get this was done because of the multiplayer so that players could do multiple things at once but playing it alone it is really annoying.
Having been playing Divinity Original Sin recently, you really need to be sanguine about these things. I was reloading saves to deal with this issue, I agree it is annoying.

Really enjoyed my time with Original Sin, it's good to hear an Enhanced Ed is coming out for consoles. I feel like I should buy it day 1 to support it but my current playthrough of OS probably won't even be completed by then.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 24th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Today I finally got around to checking out Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day, which is the game included in the Short Peace collection (which I talked about here), and to be frank, it's pretty awful. It's only a short game, but I only got about halfway before deciding I wanted nothing more to do with it. It's an action platformer that kind of plays like a high speed auto-scroller you might see on smartphones, except here the running isn't automatic, and occasionally there are some more traditional platforming sections. Most of the time you are running very fast through levels, attacking enemies without stopping, as you try to keep away from an off-screen hazard that is chasing you. Aesthetically it's pretty nice, and the premise of playing as a teenage assassin going after her own father is kind of interesting. But the performance of the game isn't great. Lots of frame drops and screen tearing all the time, that makes any sense of fluidity pretty impossible. The flashy effects that cover the screen any time you kill an enemy can obscure platforms too, which is a big pain. But the biggest issue is when the game makes you stop in your tracks, usually to kill all the enemies in a certain room, while the instant-kill hazard is still chasing you from behind. The controls feel pretty crap for slower movements, making these sections sloppy and annoying. The point where I quit was at a boss fight section, where you had to climb up a level away from the the hazard, whilst also trying to attack the boss that drops down in your path and shoots you at certain points. Turning those controls that were obviously meant for horizontal momentum towards a vertical climb was just atrocious, and having to deal with the damn boss and the hazard chasing you at the same time on top of that was an absolute deal-breaker. Was not about to play any more of that rubbish. At least the anime shorts were good.

I've also been continuing through God of War, and as I suspected, I'm continuing to find this game more enjoyable the more I play it. I think I'm getting towards the latter third or so of the game, and things have really picked up the pace in recent sections. The bit where you "swing back around to pick up the old lawnmower" is just fantastic. It really improves the combat in the way I was hoping. Makes managing crowds much more doable. The story moments surrounding that section were fantastic too. Really well handled. The extended consequences of that and how they start to bring Kratos' past back in to the plot is great too. The relationship between Kratos and Atreus has taken a very interesting turn as well. Although I'm still not entirely convinced the claustrophobic camera was a good choice for the combat in this game. I've been getting better at dealing with it, and this recent change to the combat has helped make it less of an issue too, but it still feels like that design choice is inherently flawed for the kind of game this is trying to be.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 24th, 2018, 9:54 pm

I've just been playing Hyrule Warriors, pretty much. About to complete Legend Mode and loving the variety of tools and extra weapons and characters, as well as the constantly shifting conditions and strategic decisions. It's pretty remarkable how satisfying the loop is and how fantastically well balanced it is. It's quite the trick to make you feel both overpowered and simultaneously, constantly under threat. The real test will be once I get to Dark Souls tomorrow, will I drop HW like the proverbial hot potato? Honestly - and don't tell anyone I said it - I'm more excited to keep playing this...