Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Senorb123

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Senorb123 »

Been playing Soma for the first time enjoying the crap out of it also to scratch that mp itch Battlefield V has been heavy in the rotation
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Bit of an update on AC Odyssey...

I am seriously loving this game. I reckon I'm around 16 hours deep, and I'm nowhere near the end, or even to exploring all the regions of Greece on the map. I think I can now confidently say that it really has freed itself from the stigma of being an Assassin's Creed game. The last one I played was Black Flag, and I dropped that one because of how bland and repetitive the side activities were, on top of how dull and disjointed the core narrative was, despite some likable moments.

Odyssey though? It's a bit of a slow starter, but once it really gets into the whole, "This is where the core narrative is going" bit? Oh my gods, I'm just excited to finish work and hop back on for another hour or two.

So here's some of the highlights, and if any of these hook you, I definitely recommend it:

- The game is absolutely gorgeous. Like. Sometimes I'll exit a cave over a seaside cliff, or peer out from a synch point, and my heart just drops at how utterly majestic the world here is. A lot of love and care was put in here.

- There are TWO nemesis type systems. One is a sort of leaderboard a la No More Heroes where taking down bigger, badder Mercenaries gives you a higher place in the pecking order - and comes with cool perks like shop discounts.
The other is central to the plot, and has you finding clues to unveil the identities of a shadowy group conspiring against you. The more clues you find (and the more Big Bads you kill), the more members of this group are revealed. The latter system is just the cat's meow. I love, love, love the Detective work and individual personalities given to each member (again - very No More Heroes in that regard). I found a set of clues that revealed that one dude to be a slaver in an area just outside my level range - so I dropped everything and killed the bastard; murdering slavers is a strong part of my roleplaying MO.

- Tons and tons of weapon and customization options, PLUS the aesthetics of any item you find are kept permanently - so if you get gear with great stats, but that looks like rancid butt, you can "skin" it with that totally rad armor you found on the tutorial level.

Plus the plot is just... Really hekkin good. I think they've finally dropped that, "Hey look! A famous person!" thing the series is known for, and instead worked on crafting characters that serve the plot well.

But yeah. Recommend it. Great game.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've been playing a bit of Infra (PC), which is billed as a 'puzzle and exploration game' and entails you doing your job as a structural engineer, inspecting crumbling industrial sites while uncovering a web of corruption in the town's construction industry.

The puzzles are all fecking find the fuse and re-route the power, flick the switches in this order, use these crates to jump over the electrified water. Not a fan. The exploration part is livened up a bit by taking photos of cracks in dams, corroded pipes etc. There is the odd pop culture reference to liven things up:
Spoiler: show
Sorry if that has spoiled anything for anybody :D

It certainly hits the spot for some people (Steam reviews are Very Positive), but not me unfortunately. Think I will shelve it.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Chopper wrote: January 9th, 2019, 4:59 pm I've been playing a bit of Infra (PC), which is billed as a 'puzzle and exploration game' and entails you doing your job as a structural engineer, inspecting crumbling industrial sites while uncovering a web of corruption in the town's construction industry.

The puzzles are all fecking find the fuse and re-route the power, flick the switches in this order, use these crates to jump over the electrified water. Not a fan. The exploration part is livened up a bit by taking photos of cracks in dams, corroded pipes etc. There is the odd pop culture reference to liven things up:
Sorry if that has spoiled anything for anybody :D

It certainly hits the spot for some people (Steam reviews are Very Positive), but not me unfortunately. Think I will shelve it.
When I played that game, there was a section where they had patched in a wall to modify the level lay-out, but didn't provide an alternate exit... I was looking at YouTube videos trying to figure out where to go, and there's a wall staring me down where there's a hallway in the videos. I had actually helped Greenlight this game (it was one of the first games to come out of that system), but it's just a mess. I got a refund despite having been about 5 hours in.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 9th, 2019, 5:19 pm When I played that game, there was a section where they had patched in a wall to modify the level lay-out, but didn't provide an alternate exit... I was looking at YouTube videos trying to figure out where to go, and there's a wall staring me down where there's a hallway in the videos.
That is excellent! :lol:

I lasted three hours (according to Steam; I feel like it was more though!).
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm starting Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's part of my resolution to play/finish the stone cold classics I've missed over the years. I figured I play or plan to play enough Metroidvanias that it's time to tackle the one that started it off. I'll be playing the PS1 classic via PS3.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

shadowless_kick wrote: January 7th, 2019, 11:18 pm
I think I'll give it a little more time, but I've already semi-resigned myself to giving it up for something that'll grab me more. I've yet to get my hands on Dead Cells...
Trust me, Okami picks up.

You quickly start getting different combat mechanics that allow you to do different things, and experiment in battle.

As someone who has never managed to make it through a Zelda game without getting bored - yes, even BOTW - I've finished Okami twice and I just started my third playthrough (on the Switch).

I have really mixed feelings about Hellblade.

Most of the game I love, but there have been two boss battles where I have literally thrown my controller.

Valravn and the Sea of Corpses.

With the Valravn battle, I watched a couple of videos of people's battles and realised there were things that I could do that the game doesn't tell you. I couldn't figure out why I was doing so badly until I realised I could focus during battles.

The Sea of Corpses.....I just don't know. Focusing doesn't seem to help, I'm getting mobbed by guys - which is my other big beef with the combat - and I'm just dying over and over and over. I'm seriously thinking about just watching the end of the game on youtube, because I'm at the point where the game feels like a chore, rather than fun.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm Trust me, Okami picks up.

You quickly start getting different combat mechanics that allow you to do different things, and experiment in battle.
I hear ya, but I don't know if I'm willing to maintain the slog until then. we'll see.

duskvstweak wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:09 pm I'm starting Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's part of my resolution to play/finish the stone cold classics I've missed over the years.
thanks for reminding me of this; I was planning to get the recent PS4 bundle. apparently the collection itself isn't particularly great, but as someone who never played the originals, I didn't really need any bells n' whistles anyway.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

shadowless_kick wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:23 pm
duskvstweak wrote: January 9th, 2019, 7:09 pm I'm starting Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's part of my resolution to play/finish the stone cold classics I've missed over the years.
thanks for reminding me of this; I was planning to get the recent PS4 bundle. apparently the collection itself isn't particularly great, but as someone who never played the originals, I didn't really need any bells n' whistles anyway.
Plus, you'd get Rondo of Blood too!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm
With the Valravn battle, I watched a couple of videos of people's battles and realised there were things that I could do that the game doesn't tell you. I couldn't figure out why I was doing so badly until I realised I could focus during battles.
But... The game literally does tell you. The voices in Senua's head start shouting, "Focus!" and "Use the mirror!" when you're supposed to trigger it. The voices are frequently used as "button prompts".

As for Sea of Corpses, I presume you mean that huge wave of enemies in the hellish underworld place? I remember that part being quite difficult, but again, the voices give you a lot of hints like " Behind you!" or "Focus!" at the right moments. I can't presume to know how you're playing, but I think you're drowning out the voices as narrative fluff when they're actually a core game mechanic.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been playing Pilotwings and Evil Within 2 for the upcoming shows.

Evil Within 2 is just a bit mental in all the rights ways so far.

PW is chill, until you get to start feeling the pressure from the points system. Enjoying it also!

Hoping to clear EW2 before RE2 remake as im worried the latter will raise the bar and make EW2 feel a bit crusty in comparison. Probably hyping up RE2 too much but im a bit excited
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I gave Dishonored on PS4 a good shot but it’s just not for me. Too much stealth, too much ropey combat, too much busy work! Similar for the ageing Star Wars Bounty Hunter on there, where the controls might have been acceptable on the PS2, but are all back to front and generally a mess now - did the first few missions then thought there’s no way this is getting any more enjoyable, so binned it. Which is a shame.

I now continue my journey through my PS4 backlog with Little Big Planet 3’s casual platforming, which is going to get finished! I’ve spent several years dabbling with community created levels but it’s time to knock this one on the head now. And I’m really enjoying it! As I am Ikari Warriors on the Switch SNK Collection, which is my standout from that wonderful lot so far.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Gardens Between

Not overly enjoying it. I like the puzzle mechanic but I have a feeling there will be a twist or a surprise ending to make me enjoy the game more?. Not sure on all the hype it has received elsewhere

Celeste

Games like this are not usually my thing (as I am terrible at them) but I am still loving this game and playing it daily. Up to Chapter 3 and at 300 deaths now think I am near the end of it. The soundtrack and the fact that each one of those 300 deaths has felt 100% my fault has kept me going.

Battlefield V

Still amazing and solid online
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

stvnorman wrote: January 10th, 2019, 11:46 am I gave Dishonored on PS4 a good shot but it’s just not for me. Too much stealth, too much ropey combat, too much busy work!
Yeah, the Dishonored games can be a big ask if you're not into that particular brand of stealth gameplay. I finished both, and have great admiration for the second Dishonored, but I can't say I particularly enjoyed playing them! Appreciating them from afar might be for the best. :)

This whole stealth/immersive sim genre is similar to walking simulators for me - I can love one and hate the next, but struggle to identify what makes it work or not, when I can recognise both as quality games.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ThirdMan wrote: January 1st, 2019, 10:25 pm Slay the Spire. All of you Switch owners are in for a real treat when this gets ported across. It's a superb roguelike, deck-builder hybrid. I've just beaten the Act 1 boss for the first time (there are 4 Acts) and it has that Isaac feeling of getting deeper and deeper, but stronger and stronger. Excellent game.
Played a few hands of this; I was asking myself, "is this it?' to start with, but now I'm starting to recognise the complexity and potential. I don't know if I'll stick with it as I'm unfamiliar with deck building etc, but I can definitely feel the hooks being inserted :o
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 10th, 2019, 12:24 am
ThirdDrawing wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm
But... The game literally does tell you. The voices in Senua's head start shouting, "Focus!" and "Use the mirror!" when you're supposed to trigger it. The voices are frequently used as "button prompts".

As for Sea of Corpses, I presume you mean that huge wave of enemies in the hellish underworld place? I remember that part being quite difficult, but again, the voices give you a lot of hints like " Behind you!" or "Focus!" at the right moments. I can't presume to know how you're playing, but I think you're drowning out the voices as narrative fluff when they're actually a core game mechanic.
Yeah, I'm not playing with headphones, and while I have heard the voices say "Focus", I didn't realise they literally meant focus, as in use the mechanic. Once I realised, the Valravn battle was much easier. And yes, the place I'm at now is the hellish underworld with wave upon wave of enemies. I have tried using guard more, which has helped, but I just find my dodge timing always seems off. I think I'm pressing the button at the right time, but it doesn't seem to register.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Play with headphones, you’ll know which way enemies are coming from,,, wayyyyyy easier.

This game has *exceptional* binaural work, and you’re missing out about a third of the experience if you can’t hear her On board Greek Chorus properly. (It makes the voices in her head actually sound like they’re in *your* head, and that’s not possible without headphones)

You might think we’re overplaying it, but seriously, this game has the best audio design of anything there has ever been in gaming. It won awards for it.

Just try it, put your headphones on for a bit.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah for sure. I read your first post Thirddrawing and I was going to reply saying, watch the rest on Youtube but I thought better of it. You've seen most of the action already and the ending's not amazing.

That goes double if you haven't been doing it with headphones. If you can, go back and play the opening up to the first hub, just to see what we are talking about. 30% of the experience at least :)

EDIT: That bit you're in now is definitely a pain; I had scrubbed it from my memory till you mentioned it
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The podcast has inspired me to buy and play Superhot.

It's pretty cool. Saw the credits last night, but plenty more challenges and extra modes left to try out, which is usually a plus for me.

I didn't understand the story.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Story summary for Superhot:
SUPER. HOT.