Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ReprobateGamer

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:18 pm Don't know where best to post this, but I recently re-did my Top 100 Games list and properly put it into Google Docs for better sharing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 4qLAWY50fo

If anyone's interested in the methods I used to distill basically every game I've played into a Top 100 list in a way that feels *right*, let me know - I can probably do a write-up as to how to make it as empirical as possible.

I also made a GOTY list for every year 1991-Present and did a breakdown of country or origin. Because I can! :D
I'd be interested in that write-up - though this thread is possibly not the place for it?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Not been playing much lately, as I've been sick and not feeling able to concentrate well enough on anything. Been kind of in between games too, waiting for the next interesting thing to come out. But today I did play something rather interesting. It comes with some sad news, however. One of the nicest surprises I had last year was discovering AER: Memories of Old. Very pleasant and chilled-out experience that I stumbled on just at the right moment and I enjoyed a lot. Unfortunately, it turns out the studio who made that game has run in to trouble and is now closing down. As a consolation, they decided to release a couple of prototypes they had been working on up until recently, so I decided to give them a go. So this was a fun look in to something us normal mortals never get the chance to see, despite the sad situation that made that possible.

First was Down the Well, which is a dark and moody exploration game of sorts. You play as a young girl exploring down in to a strange subterranean fantasy world inspired by Scandinavian folklore. There is some level of crafting elements too as you build the tools needed to survive and progress. Even though it was obviously short and unpolished, it was pretty atmospheric and definitely has potential. Managed to capture a foreboding sense of isolation and mystery, and had an emphasis on the limited use of light, which was pretty cool. It also did a few little tricks with overlapping space which was neat. There are a couple of characters to interact with as well, that give you a sense of not knowing who to trust. This one had a lot of potential. Very unique atmosphere and general feel to navigation to it. Not sure how well the crafting would have fitted in to a final game though. I suppose it makes sense to be a feature given the idea of the game being an adventure in to the unknown where you have to fend for yourself, but it's hard to tell how things would actually pan out in such an early state.

The other prototype was Vind, which is something of a sequel to AER. Pretty much taking the same concepts and building on them. Very similar aesthetic style too. It's even set in the same world, but follows its own story and characters instead. So much like AER, this one is mostly flying around as a bird creature in an open area filled with floating islands. You can transform in to a human and land on the islands, and talk to the few NPCs that populate the place. This one tries to flesh out the mechanics a bit more though, by adding extra stuff in. There seems to be a bigger emphasis on doing sidequests for NPCs, as well as there being crafting and cooking mechanics added in to this one as well. You also have some telekinetic abilities that you can use on some simple physics puzzles. Much like AER, the visuals and atmosphere are great. Very relaxing and soothing to just be in that world, with a nice soundtrack that changes depending on whether you're on foot or flying around. Again I'm not so sure if the crafting mechanics really fit in to the game here, as they seem kind of ancillary and sort of a distraction from the feeling of freedom and soaring around that made AER so much fun. The physics puzzles could be a better fit perhaps, but the limited use of them in this prototype was kind of clunky and awkward. The idea of having some kind of puzzles using mechanics like these instead of the extremely simple dungeon sequences in AER sounds good though.

Also the flying didn't feel quite as good in this prototype as in AER. It was still good, but there was something about it that was a little stiff feeling in comparison. Not really sure how that would happen, with it clearly being based on the same systems. How much would they need to rework something like that? Also, this demo dealt with speed boosts differently too. In AER there were certain areas where high speed wind currents would appear, like under a cliff overhang or such, and it would give you a boost of speed if you flew in to it. It was kind of tricky to pull off, as you needed to get in close to the terrain and line yourself up properly. But that just made it all the more satisfying to pull off. In this prototype, those have been replaced simply by glowing orbs that you can arbitrarily activate if you press a button while you're close enough to them, and it automatically changes your direction and gives you a boost. It's easier, but it feels less satisfying and natural. Only a minor gripe, but I feel like in a game where the feeling of flying is so important, that should be at least a bit important. Not that it matters at all now I guess...

Anyway, if you feel like trying out these prototypes yourself, or learning about the unfortunate fate of the studio, take a look here:
https://medium.com/@Krumbukt/forgotten- ... a626d35dc5
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been checking out Prey: Mooncrash. I got it around launch but something didn't click but now I'm back to it and i'm finding the fun now.

It's a FPS roguelike in the style of the main game. It's hard. It's tense. I like it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Scrustle wrote: January 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm First was Down the Well, which is a dark and moody exploration game of sorts...
...and also a really stupid name for the game, considering when you search for 'down the well game' on Google all it throws up is Downwell! Genuinely, I was interested and couldn't find a trying!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 16th, 2019, 9:38 pm when you search for 'down the well game' on Google all it throws up is Downwell! Genuinely, I was interested and couldn't find a trying!
You can exclude specific keywords with -, in this case: "down the well" game -downwell.

I found these:

https://www.alphabetagamer.com/down-the ... lpha-demo/
https://krumbukt.itch.io/down-the-well

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Kind of unfair to criticise it for the name. It's a prototype that was never supposed to be released, and only came out like a day ago. It may never have been intended to release under that name, hasn't been out anywhere near long enough to gain any traction, and has no promotion outside of that blog I linked to. That blog being a link to where you could find the game too. Google is unnecessary.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Started DK '94 last night. I think I've overlooked a classic.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 17th, 2019, 6:18 am Started DK '94 last night. I think I've overlooked a classic.
What you playing it on man ??
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:48 am
dezm0nd wrote: January 17th, 2019, 6:18 am Started DK '94 last night. I think I've overlooked a classic.
Please say Mattel Hyperscan.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Suits wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:48 am
3DS, dawg
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:16 pm 3DS, dawg
Woooooof.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Wow!

I cannot believe it but I am currently on a train in london playing my PS4 via remote play using my vita! I can’t believe I’ve not tried it before as I always thought it needed WiFi. I suspect my data will run out in a minute or two though.

Edit:
Using my phone as hotspot
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing it too! It's clear where the Mario Vs Donkey Kong series of games originated.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Scrustle wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:12 pm Kind of unfair to criticise it for the name. It's a prototype that was never supposed to be released, and only came out like a day ago. It may never have been intended to release under that name, hasn't been out anywhere near long enough to gain any traction, and has no promotion outside of that blog I linked to. That blog being a link to where you could find the game too. Google is unnecessary.
My bad, I guess. Didn't really have any idea of that information!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader on the GameCube is one of the next batch of games I’ve listed to get through, and after a few minutes getting a feel for it I was having a great time. The first mission taking out the Death Star eases you in and makes you feel like a boss all at once. All still looks and plays great, and I’m really pleased to be getting into a game I still don’t know why I never played before in the decades I’ve owned it!

Something else that still looks surprisingly good but plays like a dog is Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. After playing through the remake demo last weekend, I thought I’d fire it up, but lunch breaks are too short for trying to get back into those controls!

And to go proper retro, I’m also playing another game on my to-do list, Skool Daze on the Spectrum, for the first time ever. Brilliant, timeless design, though I’m really struggling to avoid being expelled before my second playtime!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

stvnorman wrote: January 17th, 2019, 9:27 pm Something else that still looks surprisingly good but plays like a dog is Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. After playing through the remake demo last weekend, I thought I’d fire it up, but lunch breaks are too short for trying to get back into those controls!
Honestly, as someone who doesn't really have any particular nostalgia for tank controls (my first game with these controls was REmake in like 2008, which would have been same year I played RE4), I think RE2 still has great controls. I just played it in November. Only thing I'm not really down with is pressing a button to walk up stairs. But the tank controls are simply better for fixed camera angles... They really do not feel obsolete to me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Tank controls rule.

They add just as much tension and panic to RE games as the sound and camera angles in my opinion.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'm with the tank controls defence force.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

hazeredmist wrote: January 15th, 2019, 2:46 pm I'm still trying to complete Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice on 3DS, more determined than before now though.

It's a loooooooong game, and a consequence here is it always sends me to sleep as I play before bed, so I make slow progress each night. Final case, backend of the trial though so hopefully not too much longer.

Predictably, the weaker cases are bookended with excellent cases and the final one is by far the most interesting. I do think the series needs to mature somewhat to retain my interest beyond this game, I feel like I'm outgrowing them after many, many years of playing every Phoenix Wright game (most several times over). I don't think I'll be getting the DLC case this time. It's all Steins;Gate's fault, I'm too excited to get to Steins;Gate 0. And Root Letter. I also have Zero Time Dilemma to get to, though I'm pondering replaying Virtue's Last Reward for that one.
Now completed. A really wonderful ending to the game, in what is surely the longest to date. I clocked over 100 hours, though some of those will be when I fell asleep with it on my chest in bed :lol:

I tried Papers, Please last night on Vita. My god, the controls are awful. Seems interesting though.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

stvnorman wrote: January 17th, 2019, 9:27 pm
Something else that still looks surprisingly good but plays like a dog is Resident Evil 2 on the PS1. After playing through the remake demo last weekend, I thought I’d fire it up, but lunch breaks are too short for trying to get back into those controls!
Did the same thing but really couldn't get into it. It wasn't the controls though it was more that I couldn't be bothered with the effort of actually playing it. Maybe I would have if the remake wasn't just 2 weeks away (only 1 now!!)