Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Suits »

Come on then dude, what’s with the owls ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:59 pm Come on then dude, what’s with the owls ??
Owls are expressive and majestic creatures. Symbols of grace and wisdom. More so than many other bipeds, if I may add.

What's with the Roy-but-not-THAT-Roy? :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:59 pm Come on then dude, what’s with the owls ??
Owls are expressive and majestic creatures. Symbols of grace and wisdom. More so than many other bipeds, if I may add.
Indeed they are.

Where I live we have a bird of prey centre which is pretty popular, one of my mates is well into birds (especially owls) and loves it down there.

On my last contract I was based in HM Treasury in Westminster, London. Twice a week we'd have two Hawks flown on the roof to scare away any pigeons etc.. that would make their way over from St James Park.

One day when the hawk team were in, I went up and asked if I could watch for a while. Sure enough, I ended up holding them, sending them off, calling them back with bait and other generally bird of prey activities on the sky-line of London. Spent a good few hours up there.

Magnificently beautiful creatures, that had a power to weight ratio that blew my mind, still does in fact.

I've got a few photos and videos somewhere.

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:02 pm What's with the Roy-but-not-THAT-Roy? :lol:
Go listen to the SoP I'm on, Leon asked me the same question :lol: .
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Now we're getting into the important stuff at last - avatar chat!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm [...]
!!!
Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm Go listen to the SoP I'm on, Leon asked me the same question :lol: .
I must have forgotten that part! Will rectify. :)

Chopper wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:30 pm Now we're getting into the important stuff at last - avatar chat!
Isn't it odd? I feel like we've turned over a new lea(i)f.
I'm so sorry!

Edit: Oh, you sneaky recidivist.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:36 pm
Isn't it odd? I feel like we've turned over a new lea(i)f.
I'm so sorry!

Edit: Oh, you sneaky recidivist.
That is excellent! :lol:

I thought, what with all the new people, I'd be better off not having a female avatar, wrong impressions and all that :P

I did like that picture though :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm [...]
!!!
Wow, looking back at the dates, this was in 2012.

This was one of the hawks, the smaller one I think.

Take my word for it, then when its on your arm, flapping about and gripping on with those talons its pretty intimidating - hence my expression.

The videos must be on my Mac, I found this old photo on my Facebook.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Awwww, adorable! :heart:
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Roy's my Smash main. The sword one, not the koopa one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm Roy's my Smash main. The sword one, not the koopa one.
Lilina DLC. Fools getting torched. Believe.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm The sword one, not the koopa one.
The WRONG one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:52 pm The WRONG one.

Careful there, Brenya. ;)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I've been playing Spider-Man.....

I'm not sure how I feel.

One classic villain boss battle near the start. The rest of the time Spider-Man is just basically beating up generic Chinese gangsters that Spider-Man would normally be able to take out in about 10 seconds.

I do like that they took elements from the larger comics universe, but the story basically turns into Arkham City.

Spider-Man is supposed to be *fun*, not Batmanesque.

Speaking of which, it commits the same sin that the later Arkham game does. It throws tons of enemies at you at the same time, rather than throw one or two challenging enemies at you.

Trying to beat up one gangster and having no way to dodge getting shot in the back or the side isn't fun or challenging. It's just frustrating.

Really mixed feelings about this game.

Edit - I should add that the web swinging is incredibly fun and I spent about an hour listening to old Spiderman 67 songs and swinging around the city with a big smile on my face.

It's like the mechanics are there, I'm just not happy with the execution.

Second edit - I also picked up The Council and I'm quite miffed at it. It says in great big letters on both the front and back "COMPLETE EDITION", and "INCLUDES ALL 5 EPISODES".

And then in tiny letters on the back it tells you that only the first 4 chapters are included and you have to download the fifth. So it's not complete. King's Quest did it, Tell Tale games started doing it and it pisses me off to no end. It's deliberately misleading and defeats the entire bloody purpose of buying the disc in the first place.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Defeated the first boss in Travis Strikes Again.

I can see it getting repetitive but there's something to it. Maybe its the grasshopper style, maybe the combat is basic but fun... i cant quite be sure just yet.

I want more grasshopper on Switch though. No More Heroes remakes will do.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just want Killer 7 given a well deserved makeover!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm I just want Killer 7 given a well deserved makeover!
It came out on Steam just two months ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/868520/killer7/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 8:49 pmIt came out on Steam just two months ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/868520/killer7/
Yeah I know I don't have anything to play it on though :( Get it on the consoles!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Yesterday I received my Flip Grip, so this is more Whatcha Been Playing With?

This Eurogamer article pretty much sums up my feelings and experiences with it, with there being so many pro's and very few, if any, cons.

The build quality is great: good quality plastic, looks and feels first-party. Granted, it just arrived yesterday, and I tend to look after things, so mileage may vary depending on how much you travel with your Switch, or if you have kids, etc.

And after spending a bit of time playing Ikaruga and Danmaku Unlimited 3, it feels very comfortable to hold. The joycon's slide in and out without any problems, same with the screen.

Personally speaking, the price range is spot on. It was a low risk purchase, and it paid off very well. It is only going to be of use for STG's, so if you're not a fan of shmups, there's not going to be much reason to get one.

But, if you are like me, and wish that M2 Shottrigger games would be released on the Switch, because that would truly make it the ultimate shmup-delivery-system ever, then I would easily recommend it. There's plenty of vertical shooters already available, so it's a decent investment.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I wish I got on with schmups more.

This seems like such a cool little corner-niche of gaming you’re all enjoying so much.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Definitely getting a Flip Grip. Thanks for the impressions Joshi!