Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Metro Exodus is straight-up the best road trip video game ever made, and it consistently keeps getting better as it goes. People who are describing the game as "mediocre" must be playing something different, because I'm absolutely loving it. Easily my GOTY frontrunner thus far.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ThirdMan wrote: February 24th, 2019, 2:01 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: February 24th, 2019, 1:28 am Metro Exodus is straight-up the best road trip video game ever made, and it consistently keeps getting better as it goes. People who are describing the game as "mediocre" must be playing something different, because I'm absolutely loving it. Easily my GOTY frontrunner thus far.
I deleted it last night but only because I want to dedicate some proper time to it at a later point. I downloaded it for use as a mood breaker between long sessions of RDR2. But Metro Exodus very quickly became its own beast. I want to play it when I'm free of all other distractions.
It's not as big as it seems. There are three "open world" maps and three linear stages, but the open world ones can be played in a bee line if you're not interested in trophy hunting or getting the best ending (which depends on keeping the whole team together and healthy for the whole campaign). Metro is a weird series because the "bad ending" is never really a fail state, it always feels like a logical conclusion. The "good ending" should be more accurately described as a "completionist" ending. The requirements for getting the good ending in all three games is never clear and will always be missed by casual players.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yoshi's Crafted World demo

I was considering this for a birthday request, but after playing the demo it didn't really grab me and only really reminded me that I've got the 3DS game still to finish. It was alright, it seems like it will be a perfectly nice platformer with smooth mechanics & looks, but I felt like I was playing a game intended for others, not me somehow. I'm going to wait for Mario Maker 2 which should be far more up my street and am very excited to get back into. Roll on June...
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

ColinAlonso wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:52 pm
Suits wrote: February 19th, 2019, 4:55 pm I’m worried I’m going to run out of steam and never fisnhed with a 1st, just a couple of 2nd’s 😔.
Yeah, I have a couple of 2nds myself, it really does fell like hanging on for ages and then 1st just picks me off. Around the top 10 it reaches a speed I just can't handle.
Got 2 wins in Tetris 99 over the weekend :) . Hope you get one soon Suits.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh brilliant, I'm going to check mine! If I had to guess I'd say about 70 hours and I'm on the epilogue.

EDIT: Bang on! 74 hours! (with 78.9% completion so far).

Does anyone know if any trophies are tied in to the multiplayer side of things..?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Same here. Although I'm also quite conscious I have very kindly been lent my copy and need to post it back at some point!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: February 26th, 2019, 3:41 pm Same here. Although I'm also quite conscious I have very kindly been lent my copy and need to post it back at some point!
Meant to message you Alex, you can keep it if you like. I actually bought it again on Xbox One last week new for £20 via Facebook. I would only be trading it in but I am happy it has found a happy home. The fan noise was bothering me too much even on the pro.

So Cane and Rinse away :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: February 26th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Alex79uk wrote: February 26th, 2019, 3:41 pm Same here. Although I'm also quite conscious I have very kindly been lent my copy and need to post it back at some point!
Meant to message you Alex, you can keep it if you like. I actually bought it again on Xbox One last week new for £20 via Facebook. I would only be trading it in but I am happy it has found a happy home. The fan noise was bothering me too much even on the pro.

So Cane and Rinse away :lol:
I don't really know what to say mate, other than thank you so much. Its just so incredibly generous, especially as you've gone and bought a second copy. Thank you, and if there's ever anything I can do in return please just let me know.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Still playing through Muv Luv Extra, with three out of seven endings done. Considering Extra is only the first in the trilogy, with Unlimited and Alternative to play through yet, I'll be booked out for some time.

Also, only up to the third chapter in Yakuza 4. My play time would perhaps imply that I should be further along, but man, do I love all those mini games! Progress is less important to me than just having a virtual space I enjoy being in.

All the arcade games break things up a bit. Very grateful for shorter games that respect my time.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You are welcome Alex. Both copies have been paid for via poker winnings so technically not cost me a penny.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been playing lets go pikachu on switch. I love the changes made to the random battles. Seeing the pokemon in the world and making it my choice to engage is exactly what i needed to stop me from getting bored everytime i play one.

I've never finished a pokemon game before so im hoping this is the one.

Also still playing Mothergunship. Its great, definitely more than a tower of guns 2 which it appears to be at first glance.

Gonna start watch dogs 2 tonight, was 8 quid digital. Bargain
Suits

Post by Suits »

Been playing some cool stuff recently.

Wargroove, I've put this down I'm sad to say, it just gets too hard and greedy with your time at a point. I got to 3-3 and just keep getting trampled toward the end of an hour mission. Maybe I'll go back to it one day but at the moment, no, done.

Super Mario Party, played this with some friends that came up from Wales recently and we had fun. It's Mario Party, not much more to say really. Although that group raft race mode is great fun. It feels slightly more enjoyable when you play as a team.

Sword of Mana on my GBA. I'm enjoying this and about 5 hours (successful gameplay) in. I've played through the original Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu) twice as a child and teenager so this being labelled as an enhanced re-make feels new but familiar. It's very good. I really love the mechanic of the nasties spewing back in after a period of time or steps once you initially kill them all off a screen. In fact, there's a lot about this game I enjoy and still find clever today. The music is good too, very good. I didn't realise how much the music stuck with my until I was whistling along to the overworld and dungeon themes. I'm playing this on an AGS-101 and it looks great, the only thing that's a downer is the lack of headphone port out of the box - you need an adapter.

Wario Land 3, still playing this, mostly on my commute to work when I'm in London which suits its gameplay style and save mechanism. Good game. Although I live in constant fear that the battery will die and I'll lose my save data.

Road Redemption, this is fun. Doesn't quite scdarth that Road Rash itch but forges it's own style of play and fun. It's a Rougelike based around a motorbike raid race pretty much like road rash. Procedurally generated sprints, enemies and weapons make it unpredictable and varied to a degree. It doesn't seem like a lack of race design hurts it in this instance so it's nice to pick up and play. You earn an overall EP which you can use to unlock perks on a skill tree that are permanent and effectively makes each run a snippet easier as you chase the bad guy across what seems to be the Rockies.

Sega Rally Championship on my Saturn. I picked pop a new battery for the console and put this on for a quick go......and another quick go, then a cuppa and another quick go in the Celica this time, then another quick go after a cuppa and a Crunchie. Simply, well balanced game this.

Speed Devils on the Dreamcast, which I got well into then forgot how bad the grind was at about half way in - then my SCART cable gave out for some reason and spooned all the sync, so I had to bin it. RGC don't have any in, so it's on hold until then.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That CRT is getting smaller and smaller every time I see it. :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been playing Rolling Gunner on the Switch. It's a superb, pacy shmup which was only previously available on PC via imported CD-ROM from Japan, I think. It's kind of like Progear and Akai Katana had a kid with an R-Type drone thing sperm donor and Crimzon Clover's trashy exhilarating art style delivering the little chap with some Thunder Force guitars wailing during the birth. Congratulations, it's a total bastard.

Cracking game despite the difficulty and the scoring systems seem pretty deep and too complicated for me to have sussed out yet. The only downer is that after a week of absolutely hammering DDP SDOJ, Espgaluda 2, Muchi Muchi Pork, Akai Katana and Deathsmiles, this isn't quite at the same level. Now that's an unfair comparison perhaps but that's my current context. If you're already well sated with Cave, this will no doubt pick at that scab and apply some calamine lotion. Apologies for any mixed metaphors, I'm overstimulated by the above.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 28th, 2019, 6:54 pm That CRT is getting smaller and smaller every time I see it. :lol:
Hahahaha, well it's same 20" PVM I've always had :lol: .

The screen picture there will look a bit odd mind, as I'd just had it in Menu Mode trying to figure out the issue and had reset all the geo, so it's pretty pinched.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: February 28th, 2019, 7:34 pm I've been playing
Nice.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hehe, my edit buggered that, sorry!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Suits wrote: February 28th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Wargroove, I've put this down I'm sad to say, it just gets too hard and greedy with your time at a point. I got to 3-3 and just keep getting trampled toward the end of an hour mission. Maybe I'll go back to it one day but at the moment, no, done.
I’m about the same part and yeah - if a game doesn’t respect my time I’ve no qualms on shelving it. It’s especially irritating here as there are missions where there’s no way to predict what units are going to show up until they do. So you can get a pretty good strategy going, take down the first 3/4 of a mission and then suddenly there’s a dragon you had no idea was coming and had no way to prepare for. And then that’s an hour down the drain.

BUT!

There is an incoming patch. Two of the most welcome elements are a revised difficulty for the campaign (current default will be “hard” mode) and the ability to set a checkpoint mid mission. Both of those factors will alleviate so many problems with the campaign ten fold. I’m waiting out on that before diving in again.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: March 1st, 2019, 5:50 am
Suits wrote: February 28th, 2019, 6:16 pm
I’m about the same part and yeah - if a game doesn’t respect my time I’ve no qualms on shelving it. It’s especially irritating here as there are missions where there’s no way to predict what units are going to show up until they do. So you can get a pretty good strategy going, take down the first 3/4 of a mission and then suddenly there’s a dragon you had no idea was coming and had no way to prepare for. And then that’s an hour down the drain.

BUT!

There is an incoming patch. Two of the most welcome elements are a revised difficulty for the campaign (current default will be “hard” mode) and the ability to set a checkpoint mid mission. Both of those factors will alleviate so many problems with the campaign ten fold. I’m waiting out on that before diving in again.
Ah, sweet. Awesome news.

I’ll certainly jump back in then, get to the point I can always get to, save, then try and work out that super OP unit that decides to turn up 45 minutes in 😄.

Top news that.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Started watch dogs 2 which was cheap on xbox one store.

Cruised about listening to Clark and Squarepusher so its a 10 out of 10