Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Craig »

Alex79uk wrote: December 11th, 2017, 7:18 pm I'm sure that was on PS+ ages ago and I dismissed it as looking a bit rubbish. Worth a play, then?
Yeah I’d say so. It has a nice hand drawn style and a completely dialogueless story. It’s essentially based around a single mechanic (magnetism) and you collect items that help you manipulate items and yourself to be attracted or repelled.

There are a few bits that are a bit more fiddly than they should be, and the boss fights can be frustrating due to one hit kills, but if you’ve got a few hours and have it already anyway, I’d recommend a run through.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just finished RE:Revelations on the Switch.

I have the game for the 3DS, for which, back in the day - I had the circle pad pro for too :lol: .

As enjoyable as it was, it never felt that great on the 3DS and never actually got around to finishing it.

So when it was announced as a collection with the 2nd game (which I’ve never played) I was well keen.

I’ve just finished the first one, now I’m going to have a bit of a break and play something else (Muttant Mudds Collection on Thursday) then start the 2nd one.

Happy Days.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Chopper wrote: December 12th, 2017, 11:00 am I've been playing a couple of games that I'm on the verge of uninstalling (probably tonight).

Everybody's Golf is fine for what it is, but doesn't really suit my tastes. I'm not fond of the two-button control scheme for golfing games, and don't generally like power ups, club modifications etc (I know, I'm a fun-free zone). There are a small number of courses that you seem to have to play over and over in order to unlock the next one, and there's a load of chatting to people and running around the hub in between ("A gift has appeared somewhere in the home area, see if you can find it!").

Playing the courses can be fun, but there's too much fluff around it.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is disappointing for other reasons. I was looking forward to a big sandbox to play in but the missions are so samey that I don't even feel compelled to explore beyond the opening area. All the missions are variations on 'clear out the enemy base', whether that base is three men in a shack in the jungle, or a full scale military installation with attack helicopters. There are a couple of other mission types - attack the convoy, steal the supplies etc, but it's quite dull.
I like Golf Story, but the gameplay loop becomes evident pretty quickly that if you don't like it straight away it won't get better. I also found the actual golf mechanics kinda poop, particularly the putting, I find the slope indication of the greens far too vague and the inconsistency of the power of the putt incredibly frustrating. Frustrating enough that I pretty much bang it in to the bunkers on purpose because the "approach" method with the wedge is so much easier to account for and so long as you hit the very generous hit box of the flag in the hole, it's pretty much guaranteed to go in.

For Wildlands, get a group of buddies to play co-op with before you uninstall it I reckon, that's where the game really shines

edit: I just realised you said Everybody's Golf, woops! My point about Golf Story still stands though as I've been playing it recently
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol:
Whippledip wrote: December 13th, 2017, 12:54 am For Wildlands, get a group of buddies to play co-op with before you uninstall it I reckon, that's where the game really shines
Yeah, it is definitely one for co-op and I could see it being a lot of fun there. There was a stage where I played a lot of co-op, and loved it, but I moved physically closer to my main co-op partner a few years ago and now we tend to have lunch to catch up rather than play games together :|

I have started the Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy series, am through episodes 1 & 2. I like it a lot! I am wholly unfamiliar with the franchise so that has been interesting; I think the writers have done a great job of setting up the characters and story. I also like the humour a lot - for my tastes, I like it much more than Tales from the Borderlands. The action sequences are very good and the soundtrack is decent. One of the better Telltale games so far, I hope they can keep it up.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So the Monster Hunter Beta is over and personally Im sold, the game still has mechanical aspects I dont like, aka the menus and lock-on, but I think I get it now. It hit me when I was hunting Diablos by myself and I was aiming at his weakspots, taking advantage of the enviroment, using all my itens to then finnaly bring him down a few seconds before the time ran out. The fact that I, a monster hunter newbie, in the short amount of time of the beta was able to learn and improve to be able to beat one of the hardest monsters in the beta says alot and the feeling of acomplishment you get when you finnaly down that hard as nails creature is great.

I was also blown away by the amount of depth each weapon has, some are more complicated then others but each one is unique and has it's own complexities to it, I mean just for a frame of reference the switchaxe here just shits on any BloodBorne weapon in terms of moveset and I was really surprised by that, the weapons here are more akin to selecting a character in a fighting game then anything else I feel it really changes the way you play way more then similar games like Dark souls or Nioh(Im sure there are better examples these are just the ones that came to mind), I ended up gravitating to 2 very different weapons, 1 the insect glaive it's the quick spear/twinblade that allows you to jump in the air and do air combos and 2 what I think is the slowest weapon in the game the Gunlance, like the gunblade but cooler hide behind your shield to take monster attacks and then impale the beast with your spear and then unleash all the bullets in it`s face, yeah it`s pretty great.

Other then that I got back to tatics Ogre had to force myself to play through some of the missions there and now Im pretty sure Im at the end of the game, though I gotta do some griding first, and Im aimming to finnish this near the end of the year if I continue at this pace. I gotta say playing this game has been a rollercoaster of emotions like no other game I have played before both for good and ill, it really is something.

Lastlly Im finnaly getting around to Pyre, I love both Bastion and Transistor(despite the ending which I hate) so this was a nobrainer but I was initially sketical because I heard this was some sort of sports game in disguise and I also heard the word "Blitzball" used to describe it which immediatly had me triggered but Im giving it a shot.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 10th, 2017, 6:03 pm
duskvstweak wrote: November 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm Burnout Paradise
I'm very conflicted when it comes to this game. I wouldn't mind hearing what you think of it once you're done. :)
I've tried getting into Paradise, and it's fun, but it doesn't have the same hooks in me that Burnout 3 had. I miss the focus and Crash mode. Paradise works, but it's main feature is that it's available on PC and Takedown isn't.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I started Star Wars: Republic Commando last night. I had started it years ago, lost my save file and never went back to finish it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

In a desperate bid to close out some of the games I have bought this year, I have been working through my VR library. It seems I have neglected these - bought them in sales and then been reluctant to play them for whatever reason (wearing a peripheral on your head, most likely).

Am well through Arizona Sunshine (PSVR). It's decent. The control scheme with the Move controllers is really tough to get used to, and some of the more intense fights are really hard when you are trying to shoot zombies with a flashlight due to a controller snafu (you have to eject the cartridge then reload dual-wielded weapons). I can't imagine what Skyrim is like with the Moves.

AZ is a shooting gallery, and as such VR doesn't really elevate it above a flat-screen game. But it is enjoyable enough, in a head-popping way.

Oh, I also tried out the Last Guardian VR demo - it was ok, jump over a couple of walls and climb along one of those wooden railcar-like structures on Trico's back
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

So I took the plunge and picked up Skyrim on the Switch.

My first impression was how big of a drop the graphics have compared to the version I've been playing on the PS4 Pro, which is to be expected. It really highlights how much 4K can lift the look of the game. You don't notice the drop in looks as much in handheld mode.

But the game plays just the same and I can easily see myself ploughing a lot of time into it. The fact I can carry on exploring when the missus wants to watch rubbish on the TV is a definite positive.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Lego City Undercover on the Switch.

I have a question about it though. There is definite slowdown in the game (though it's infrequent) and the game has actually crashed a couple of times on me.

Is the performance this bad on the Wii U/PS4 versions?
Craig

Post by Craig »

Picked up the Mutant Mudds collection for Switch. I've played through the first to 100% on the 3DS but haven't touched the second so when I saw both for around 7 quid (preorder price, a little more expensive now) I jumped on it.

It looks really nice, the HD rumble is neat but man, the second game doesn't mess around even from the first level. Going to have to play through the first game again to hone my skills.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I am surprised to be saying this but I am struggling to get into Zelda Breath Of The Wild.

All I have to do is go to a shrine and complete it to get a Parachute but I am struggling to get to the third one. I climb towards it but it is too high and I fall and die. I swim but the water is too cold and I die.

It has not started well at all, I think my expectations have been set sky high as all year all I have heard it how amazing it is and makes Horizon Zero Dawn look like child's play. Horizon is my GOTY and cannot see it getting near it at the moment and Ocarina is in my top 3 of all time.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You're about 0.5% into the game, probably less. I'd push on a bit.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

DomsBeard wrote: December 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm So I am surprised to be saying this but I am struggling to get into Zelda Breath Of The Wild.

All I have to do is go to a shrine and complete it to get a Parachute but I am struggling to get to the third one. I climb towards it but it is too high and I fall and die. I swim but the water is too cold and I die.

It has not started well at all, I think my expectations have been set sky high as all year all I have heard it how amazing it is and makes Horizon Zero Dawn look like child's play. Horizon is my GOTY and cannot see it getting near it at the moment and Ocarina is in my top 3 of all time.
I bought it on release, got slightly further than you and gave up for similar reasons.

I'll go back at some point I expect but yeah, I feel you.

Speaking of GOTY 2017, Gorogoa just leapt into my top 10, probably top 5, in the last two hours.

A beautiful puzzle game. If you like The Witness, check it out. It's very different but has that same feeling of flow, and of your awareness opening up like a flower as you rethink your perspective. Also if you liked Framed on mobile this takes some elements of that gameplay idea and takes it in a much mote intricate direction. Stunning stuff.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

For me it needed a slight adjustment in my mental approach. It isn’t an open world game in the style of horizon (where there are markers on a map, you go to those markers and do a thing), but more like the style of Morrowind (you have to figure out where to go, and probably explore a bit to find the things that will make going to the markers on the map not actually kill you).

The curve is defintely harsher than most open world, and waaaay harsher than Zelda usually is, but it’s not ultimately a difficult game.

But yeah, it doesn’t float everyone’s boat. I know quite a few people that aren’t fans of it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Me and the boys played some Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour on the GameCube with a few beers last night and had a good time.

I know it’s obvious but it made me think about a possible new title on the Switch and fun that could be with Leaderboards etc...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Isn't Golf Story pretty much what Mario Golf has always been, without the characters?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: December 17th, 2017, 3:01 pm Isn't Golf Story pretty much what Mario Golf has always been, without the characters?
Nothing like it really.

Golf story to me was like really simple fetch quest RPG, with very lite Golf mechanics built in.

I played for about 5 hours and got completely bored off with it.

Mario Golf is much more a traditional sports golf game - just with Mario characters.

The one on the 3DS (World Tour) is the best of the series for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Golf Story is undoubtedly heavily inspired by the (excellent I think) GBA version of Mario Golf - Advance Tour - though:

Whereas the N64/GC Mario Golf games were effectively the continuation of the original Minna No/Everybody’s/Hot Shots Golf games.
Suits

Post by Suits »

You’re right, sorry, I was selfishly referring to GameCube version I was playing :) .