Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 6th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: November 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm Without spoiling anything, my main criticism with 2 is that Gallia seems to be located in California?!?
Wait, what?!

VC1 is set in a very obvious version of WW2 Europe, albeit one with heavily fictionalized aesthetics. I have no idea what they were thinking with these sugary settings in 2 and 3. I hear 4 takes a highly regarded "back to the basics"-approach, though.

The first one is definitely worth playing!
Sorry, I should clarify... :oops:

It's also set in that Faux-European WW2 setting, but man, I'm not a fan of the American voice acting! If they went the original voice actors, or maybe accents closer to the setting, it might be more tolerable.

I don't want to bag out the voice actors because at the end of the day, they're just professionals following other peoples directions. But geez, not a fan.

Of course, if they went with Australian voice actors, it would be a perfect game! Fair dinkum, sheilas and Fosters! :D
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Just started Night in the Woods, a game that has always had my interest and was delighted when it went on sale in the PS store so nabbed it straight away.

This is a very different game from what I have mostly been playing this year. While the last week I was defeating a god to try and stop a meteor from hitting the planet, now I am a 20 year college drop out going back to her hometown and trying to get my life back on track. The theme of the damage economic recession can cause to an area and the lives of the people there is something that I have never encountered before in games. Seeing as this is the state of my home village at the moment, seeing something this relatable portrayed in gaming has definitely caught my interest and makes me want to continue. Other than a shocking event early on in the game outside the diner where you had pizza with your friends, everything is quite ordinary and mundane so far. Really interested to see where this goes.

Also god it looks gorgeous, definitely helped in me wanting to try this out!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Since I started a replay of Salt & Sanctuary on Vita I haven't been able to put it down. Such a brilliant game, and it never seems to have got the praise it deserved. It did well critically, but I never really see much talk about it online, not even when it first came out. Everyone was so high on Hollow Knight I just kept thinking 'but you all ignored Salt & Sanctuary!'

It's even out on Switch now, so no excuses!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Still playing RDR2 and Rusty Pup. I'm enjoying Red Dead 2 but I've yet to find that feeling of not being able to stop thinking about it but when i'm in that world, i'm utterly blown away by it.

Rusty Pup is probably one of the biggest hurdles into a game I've played. Probably since Dark Souls thinking about it but now I'm finally in tune with its pace, rules and vibe I'm finding it a lot of fun to play a level or two every night. Currently at 45 brains out of 103.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alien Isolation finished again for the 2nd time on the hardest difficulty and again mentally knackered at the end. I had forgotten about a couple of instances near the end where the game is ridiculously unfair but again using my noggin I got through it. I am never playing it again..... till next Halloween. I know I bang on about it but this is one of the best games ever made and needs a sequel.

Can anyone tell me how long the snow bit in RDR2 is?. I want to get stuck into this but having to walk or ride around as if I am in quicksand is not fun on any level. The game itself looks stunning and I do like the cinematic mode when you hold down the touch pad. It is pretty ballsy for Rockstar to start the game like this. Compare it to GTA V for example.
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: November 8th, 2018, 9:12 am Can anyone tell me how long the snow bit in RDR2 is?. I want to get stuck into this but having to walk or ride around as if I am in quicksand is not fun on any level. The game itself looks stunning and I do like the cinematic mode when you hold down the touch pad. It is pretty ballsy for Rockstar to start the game like this. Compare it to GTA V for example.
Yeah, I mentioned that I thought it was brave from R* to start the game in that particular way.

Although, to be honest, I think it holds that pace for the rest of the game, albeit give you the option to jog and gallop on your horse once out of the show.

The game is too slow for taste, however, I fully expect to fancy more of this game now that I know what it is some time down the line a bit.

I’ve been playing (and finished) Wario Land 2 on the GameBoy.

I’m now at the mop-up bit and having it finished it, the games truely unfolds itself and show what it is.

It’s unique in a number of ways and has an enticing style of gameplay that keeps me going back.

Got myself a Hey Pikmin and Planet Robobot waiting in the wings too. Although I’m considering saving those for Christmas.

Then this time next week it’s Fallout 76 - nice.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I've been playing through XCOM 2 Vanilla again. Still haven't beaten the game yet, so maybe this campaign is it! Though, last night I lost my two best rangers, so looks like the "12 days since accident" sign needs to be reset. Everything was going fine until those darn Sectopods showed up! How do they even get inside the UFOS?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Played some Drive Club on the PS4 last night with the hope of setting up some sort of CandR league or some friendly competition.

Well, this sure is something, after coming off the back of GT Sport and Forza 7.

That said, I’ll press on but the physics just isn’t there for me. Even on simulation mode, or hardcore as they call it, it still feels like Micro Machines.

The weather, I get it, they make a good model but FFS I don’t need blizzards and ice storms on every race.

Finally and I’m certainly not trying to totally kill it off - if you ever wanted to show the difference between 1080p and 4K use this and GT Sport.

I’m hoping to get used to it, finding its rhythm and setting some times.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sorry to hear that, man. Thankfully you didn't spend too much money on it. :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, it’s cool, variety is the spice of life and all that, I’m just used to driving sims with better physics etc... Race Pro, Assetto etc...

This is an arcade racer but there’s fun to be had I’m sure !!!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: November 9th, 2018, 8:51 am Ah, it’s cool, variety is the spice of life and all that, I’m just used to driving sims with better physics etc... Race Pro, Assetto etc...

This is an arcade racer but there’s fun to be had I’m sure !!!
Yeah. It’s definitely an arcade racer and I’d say the fun is in time attack. Perfect for a it of C&R friendly competition.

I think I have the ps plus freemium edition somewhere not sure how much this is missing.

I do miss criterion’s need for speed with its fantastic social stuff which throws it in your face so much you can’t help but be sucked in by it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I picked up a One X again and so I've been playing the following:

Sensible World of Soccer

I don't need any other games now. It's been an adventure but it's all over now. Thanks for the companionship and discussions, pals. You're all great.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Been playing both Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Rondo of Blood, mainly due to how jazzed I am about the recent Netflix show.

Rondo of Blood is my first exposure to "classic" Castlevania, and it's fantastic, but I'm having to re-calibrate my Brain a bit. I knew it was going to be a great deal tougher than something like SOTN, but I see that art style and it's hard to break away from the newer vania mode of thinking. I really need to think of it more like Mega Man X and take it slow and steady. Up to stage 3 and the Minotaur boss fight. Nearly beat him once, but ran out of lives and decided to walk away for a bit.

I was already a decent way through Aria of Sorrow before this latest session. I've also completed Dawn of Sorrow before this too. Dawn of Sorrow, for me, was ALMOST as great as SOTN, but some weird touch screen stuff irritated me. Aria of Sorrow is very similar, just without all that weird DS stuff and I'm loving it. It's tougher than SOTN, but not Rondo tough.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If you’re enjoying Rondo I certainly recommend giving Super IV a go too.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: November 9th, 2018, 5:27 pm I don't need any other games now. It's been an adventure but it's all over now. Thanks for the companionship and discussions, pals. You're all great.
Hey, can't you at least wait until Psyvariar gets here? :(

Hack.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

A couple of months ago I decided to put some structure to my backlog, listing ten games to play next and ticking them off as I go. Mad Max, which I bought a couple of years ago in a sale, is game number five and I’ve played the first few hours. Had it come with PS+ I’m not sure I’d have persevered even this far, but something has clicked and I’m in that one more mission before I turn it off mode. It reminds me a lot of Brutal Legend, but I really hope there’s no awful tower defence stages on the way! Seems like a very good game though.

Speaking of PS+, I gave Burly Men at Sea a go. I immediately hated the art style and within minutes felt the same about the gameplay, but then the trophies started dropping so I thought I’ll give it half an hour, by which time I’d reached the credits and it started again. I assume there’s more trophies if you carry on playing and do different things, but as far as I’m concerned it’s done!

Also finally beat the sixth dungeon on Legend of Zelda the NES Classic Mini. I’d found the dungeons pretty easy up to that point, where finding them seemed more of a challenge than doing them, but defeating a single room with enough health left to go much further took me almost three hours here. I was th
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

:D

But seriously, I had doubted how good Sensi would still be and it's fantastic. Certainly good enough to have taken me away from Diablo 3, RDR2 and FH4 for a few days, all of which I think are marvellous. It's got something in the feel that's up there with your Super Mario Kart and the like. Very simple but with tremendous depth.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Stanshall wrote: November 10th, 2018, 8:09 am But seriously, I had doubted how good Sensi would still be and it's fantastic.
Always a classic. Unlike the stinker that was the remake of Kick Off, which still pains me.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 9th, 2018, 7:12 pm If you’re enjoying Rondo I certainly recommend giving Super IV a go too.
Doesn't Super IV suddenly get MEGA hard in the last section?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t remember, but I completed it back in the day.