Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79 »

Well, I put an hour in to Hollow Knight last night, and seem to have beaten one boss. Man, if Dark Souls was obtuse with its story telling, I don't know what this is! I have no idea who I am, where I am or why I am! I'm not sure where the story will come from either, since there doesn't seem to really be item descriptions or much lore anywhere.

Mechanically, as a platforming combater the game is almost perfect. The controls are just absolutely spot on, really precise.

No health bar for bosses seems weird, but whatever. Seems fun so far, but I feel like I'm probably still in the tutorial area.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: September 29th, 2018, 7:57 am Well, I put an hour in to Hollow Knight last night, and seem to have beaten one boss. Man, if Dark Souls was obtuse with its story telling, I don't know what this is! I have no idea who I am, where I am or why I am! I'm not sure where the story will come from either, since there doesn't seem to really be item descriptions or much lore anywhere.
Give it a bit more time and the game will click. The story might take a bit longer! Agree with everything else you said about it. I’ve just done a boss that took me a couple of hours to crack, and almost made me crack, then the next one on the second go, which restored my faith in the game a bit because I’m not the most patient person. No idea where I am in the game but I’m nearly 22 hours in now. Reckon that’s pretty good value for the £7.99 I paid on Switch!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well I seem to be regressing in my gaming ability as I have tried about a dozen times to beat the first boss on Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and die at the end each time :lol: . It gets to a point where it homes in on you with its jumps and I can't seem to dodge it.

It doesn't help that for some reason there is a barrell to get a Diddy, Dixie or Cranky to help (and in effect give you 6 lives) but you cannot open at usual so maybe it is a bug?.

Noticed Fortnite Season 6 has started so had a couple of games to see what has changed. Loot lake is now in the sky and seems to be where everyone jumps to (it must be full of loot). Matchmaking and the game itself is still as easy as ever.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Also playing through Tropical Freeze! Loving it. The bosses last way too long, but it’s so colourful and creative I can look past it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Those bosses get longer and trickier guys :lol: .

Even Kayleigh cheered when I beat the blowfish dude :lol: .
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: September 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm Those bosses get longer and trickier guys :lol: .

Hmmm might sack it off then. Don't seem to have the patience nowadays :lol:

I will have another go now....
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: September 30th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Suits wrote: September 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm Those bosses get longer and trickier guys :lol: .

Course I did it first try!
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: September 30th, 2018, 8:37 pm
DomsBeard wrote: September 30th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Course I did it first try!
Ah, nothing like a piece of video game logic :lol: .

Mind, like any boss fight, their easy once you know the pattern.

It’s just those first few attempts where you get really invested then duie to a new pattern can make it feel impossible :lol: .
Craig

Post by Craig »

I’m getting towards the end and yeah the fugu blowfish Guy is annoying as hell! I wouldn’t really say it’s *hard* just, long, and easy to make a few mistakes towards the end thanks to being underwater.

The world after that is absolutely wonderful though. Love the theme of it all.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Craig wrote: September 30th, 2018, 11:21 pm I’m getting towards the end and yeah the fugu blowfish Guy is annoying as hell! I wouldn’t really say it’s *hard* just, long, and easy to make a few mistakes towards the end thanks to being underwater.

The world after that is absolutely wonderful though. Love the theme of it all.
Yeah. There is a great piece of music at the start of the second world with the Windmills. Pretty sure it has been on Sound Of Play.

Had my first couple of slightly annoying bits in Yakuza Kiwami 2. Firstly I could not progress until I had caught a toy from a UFO Catcher and then I now cannot progress till I get x amount of Yen. Especially annoying as I had just spent all my money on healing stuff.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ever since hearing that New Super Mario Wii U is coming to the Switch, I’ve been thinking about the joys of 2D Mario games.

Because of this I’ve been back to New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS.

I stared playing it again last Thursday and since then have manged to finish it in no real rush in just over 7 hours. I’m now just floating around the special world, going back and picking up stars from levels I’ve missed and generally jumping around.

Some of the level design is great, a wonderfully refined Mario experience, never bordering on the hard – nothing like the Wii U version, just a pleasant little platformer with enough level variation and items to make each world feel like it adds something new.

With my ever-thirsty search for games and bargains from charity shops, car boots and social media, I picked up Ace Attorney: Justice for All on the DS for £4 on FB market place. £4, I couldn’t believe it, lovely condition too, like new, (you’d expect to pay about £20 for this in physical form). In fact, I wonder if it had ever really been played as there was no save data on the cart.

I’d never played an Ace Attorney game before and was keen, so when I saw this for £4, around the corner from me – it was a blessing.

I say and played the first trail last night on the sofa while my wife read with the TV off, it was a really pleasant environment actually and felt super chilled. Anyway, it took me about 2 hours as I fumbled through the first half hour or so not really sure what I was doing was correct but then it clicked, and I was away.

The little story, delivered in small chunks, was engaging and the characters interesting. Things were kept moving at a decent pace which meant that I didn’t loose interest and start spamming over the text.

The satisfaction of piecing something together or getting an inclination of where the case is heading was brilliant. It really got my mind working in a way I don’t think I’ve ever applied to video games – so this, for me, was a new experience and very very welcome.

I’d had my fill of Ace Attorney after those few hours, once I’d competed the case and the game moved on, which felt like a natural place to end for then.

Then I moved onto another game I’d picked up on the cheap a week or so back – again, mainly as a curio as I know it divided many people.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Again, on the 3DS.

Not what I was expecting, although to be honest, I don’t really know what I was expecting.

The on rails shooter element of it is cool. So far, I much prefer the flying aspect of the game, as the ground-based gameplay feels a little hampered by the movement controls at the moment.

The control scheme is interesting, it reminds me a lot of Pikmin 3 on the Wii U with the Gamepad, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing and I feel I’ll only get more comfortable with it.

I’ve only put half an hour into it last night before I called it a night but it’s cool and certainly something I can see developing into something quite fun. The options to go back and replay mission on other difficulties that will unlock different paths and reward with different weapons sounds cool.

I have the stand but I’m not using the stand. I sort of hold my 3DS as usual but with the stylus hand pinkie supporting the back of the console, it wasn’t uncomfortable per say but ask me again after two hours :lol: .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Kid Icarus Uprising is great but the controls knacker it near the end.

I ended up tipping the scales to 0.0 and just saw the story through as it's really well written.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Kid Icarus: Uprising might be my favourite 3DS game, even though I never stop wishing it was on Wii or Wii U instead.

Picked up Resident Evil 5 from where I left of last time, but this time I've got company in the form of KSubzero as Sheva Alomar. A lot of fun, even though K has problems with my laxness when it comes to reloading my arsenal. :P Don't worry though, K, I will yet prove my worth, once I've gotten in the swing of things again!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

^^^
This geezer is straight up walking into a room full of Majinis with only 3 shells in his shotgun and the wrong kind of ammo for his empty SMG, all the while telling me "It's fine I still have five bullets in my pistol man". Tough times.

:P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

LOL never worried.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool, promising regards Kid Icarus then.

Just a mildly humorous thought but my current evening routine consists of;
  • PES2018 on the PS4 - Get my daily win bonus for MyClub
  • WarioWare Gold - Get Wario to draw me 3 amiibo to get those extra gold coins towards the end game.
I must do these two things before whatever the evening consists of.

All in the vein of seeing the numbers go up. Well and to unlock the end game at WarioWare.

Incidentally, tonight though I will hopefully be finishing the story mode of Strange Brigade online with my gang and put that to bed, I mean - off my plate.

On a significant countdown to RDR2 now. I'm avoiding all info on it, even though I know there was a new R* video released today.

Got a mate coming to stay from Wales for it's release, so we're going to camp up in office for four days and cane it 8-) .
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm starting Resident Evil tonight. Like, the series. Only ever played 4 on the Gamecube. Starting with the remake of Resident Evil 1, but will be going to the PS1 versions of 2 & 3. Hoping to get through to 0 by the time October ends.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m currently playing legend of Zelda 2 and finding it incredibly difficult. Is there a trick to it that I’m missing or should I be grinding to gain a few levels before moving on.
I genuinely think I might have to call it a day as I’m not really enjoying it....at all
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Seeing as though FH4 is on gamepass and I paid £2 for 2 months I thought it'd be stupid to not check it out.

Bloody hell it's a bit good. The 60 fps mode is silky smooth and the quality mode looks amazing. So far, a very slick Horizon game set in a familiar location!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I’ve got it on 60 frames mode, it is smooth.

The lighting in this game is brilliant.

Plus the verticality of the UK roads makes it much more interesting than the long straight roads of the Australian desert.