Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

It took me two hours to do my first combat mission in Elite last night; by the time I figured out what I had to do, with the dubious help of the internet, I finally caught up to the ship I was supposed to take out with ten mins left on the mission timer. Then two police ships killed him before I managed to land a shot. No mission reward. We go again.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been playing more Isaac on the Switch. I unlocked the D6 finally (during a twelve hour session on a flight, only interrupted by meals!)and just beat The Hush and The Lamb with Isaac over the last two days.

I think the colour and sound of soul hearts are hardwired into my brain now, I feel good whenever one is revealed on screen. I'd love to one day unlock The Lost. That's pretty much my goal with the game now.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Breath of the Wild.

Breath of the Wild.

Breath of the Wild.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 30th, 2017, 10:02 pm Is this your first time playing through The Witcher 3, Alex?
It is.

Yeah Scrustle, I went on to discover that quest line shortly after your post!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

School holidays for me so I've been doing almost nothing but play games over the past week. Glorious.

Xbox One S:

Forza Horizon 2&3. These are both stunning games. Wonderful feel to the cars, great sense of speed, endlessly beautiful environments, always 'something to do' and equally, just as much fun doing nothing but explore the terrain. I probably prefer 3 for the natural beauty but 2 really evokes that Mediterranean atmosphere, and having lived in Nice for a few months, its ambience is captured beautifully, minus the ubiquitous dog shit.

Dark Souls. My second proper playthrough and I'm having a fantastic time with it. It's interesting how although the first half is undoubtedly better in pretty much every way, the the second half is often at least visually interesting, even the likes of Lost Izalith contain some flair in among the copy and paste enemy placements, reused assets and dodgy textures. The DLC is also still utterly phenomenal, the best I've ever played. I know C&R isn't the place for gushing hyperbole but I don't believe this gushing is hyperbole!

Switch:

Isaac Isaac Isaac. This is now comfortably my most played game on the system. I've got all but one ending now (19) and today beat Delirium for the first time on a non-Daily run. It's so boring to read what items I picked up but so exciting for me to remember. Quad Shot, Jacob's Ladder and Rainbow Effects, basically. Absolute wrecking ball. I'm aiming for Platinum God. Long way to go but I'll get there.

Splatoon 2. Really enjoying it, my first proper go at a Splatoon game. Motion controls all the way. I'm most successful in Turf War and probably enjoy that most, too, but I'm occasionally digging Ranked modes and a bit of Salmon Run. I think those modes are necessary for variety, to be honest, or I might get bored of this fairly quickly. It's perfect for half a dozen rounds, or even just a couple depending on time available. The only thing which puts me off really is that I'm struggling to rank up. I might just need to be less shite.

ARMS. I went back to this and still really enjoy it. My main criticism is that it's a little bit simplistic in terms of options. It's almost always a patient match with fine margins for error, which can get a teensy bit dull when you're used to playing rushdown in Street Fighter. It's satisfying to connect a hit, especially when you set them up, and, again, it's perfect for either five minutes or half an hour but I can't remember sitting down and playing it for much longer in a single session.

Ultra Street Fighter 2. On that note...I played this the other day with a few mates, winner stays on, in tabletop mode, for about five hours. No matter your feelings about the pricing (and I think they're cheeky sods), this is still one hell of a game. I can't believe it's on course to sell half a million but I'm delighted and hope it means more Switch outings/ports for Capcom. Resident Evil collection next, please!

Bomberman R. And later that night, after some beers and barbecue, we huddled round for some four player Bomberman, or eight player, rather, including the CPU. Another game which was overpriced, and rather disastrously so, it seems, but tremendous fun nevertheless. It still has its flaws, especially with the absurdly stingy unlocks but get a few mates together and it's a heady concoction. Truly foul mouthed gaming entertainment.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:09 pm It's interesting how although the first half is undoubtedly better in pretty much every way
Even though I agree with that assessment, I've always thought that the Tomb of the Giants didn't deserve to be lumped together with Lost Izalith and Crystal Caves. In fact, it's one of my favourite areas of the game, due to the intricate layout and visibility management (even before Bloodborne expanded on that particular mechanic).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm also revived my Dark Souls 2 play through this week. Currently up to the Smelter Demon. First time I finished this game (well, the last gen version of it) I summoned for a few of the boss fights so this time I'm trying to do it all solo. Got him down to about 20% health so far. I struggling to work out when I should be doing the DLC areas. So far the only one I could access is the Iron King - haven't found the keys for the Sunken or Ivory kings yet. I'm thinking I'll save it until quite late in the game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:53 pm I struggling to work out when I should be doing the DLC areas. So far the only one I could access is the Iron King - haven't found the keys for the Sunken or Ivory kings yet. I'm thinking I'll save it until quite late in the game.
The DLC areas are quite challenging so yes, it's best to err on the side of caution and save them for last (or should I say, for just before the end boss). They have some of the best levels and boss fights in the game, too. So you have something to look forward to!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:42 pm
Stanshall wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:09 pm It's interesting how although the first half is undoubtedly better in pretty much every way
Even though I agree with that assessment, I've always thought that the Tomb of the Giants didn't deserve to be lumped together with Lost Izalith and Crystal Caves. In fact, it's one of my favourite areas of the game, due to the intricate layout and visibility management (even before Bloodborne expanded on that particular mechanic).
This is probably the most intimidating area of the game, so far, apart from the Abyss. Even with the Skull Lantern/whatever, you need a spare pair of pants. Without it, with only the glint of eyeballs flashing in the shadows...brrr...especially when it's one of those giant dog skeletons. I also find the area with the Pinwheel mages and those skeleton babies pretty brutal. I don't know what spell they're using but I'd like a copy!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Stanshall wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:09 pm Ultra Street Fighter 2. On that note...I played this the other day with a few mates, winner stays on, in tabletop mode, for about five hours. No matter your feelings about the pricing (and I think they're cheeky sods), this is still one hell of a game. I can't believe it's on course to sell half a million but I'm delighted and hope it means more Switch outings/ports for Capcom. Resident Evil collection next, please!

Bomberman R. And later that night, after some beers and barbecue, we huddled round for some four player Bomberman, or eight player, rather, including the CPU. Another game which was overpriced, and rather disastrously so, it seems, but tremendous fun nevertheless. It still has its flaws, especially with the absurdly stingy unlocks but get a few mates together and it's a heady concoction. Truly foul mouthed gaming entertainment.
This (the social aspect) is why these two games are high on my WANT list for Switch.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Despite growing up with a SNES I never got around to playing Super Metroid, so this is my current better-late-than-never.

So much has already been said and written about with this title, so rather than just repeat that I will just say that it plays very well on the 3DS. In fact, I find a lot of SNES titles feel right at home on a handheld/portable console, as I've already played through the original Legend of Zelda and Earthbound on my 3DS (thank god for save-states), and it feels just right.

So yeah, glad I've gotten around to it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just grabbed Oxenfree in the sale for £3.99 on PSN. I'll be honest, it doesn't look like it appeals to me but the near perfect reviews and positive chat on here about it must count for something!

Hope it's as good as Life Is Strange.

;) :lol:
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2017, 1:05 am Just grabbed Oxenfree in the sale for £3.99 on PSN. I'll be honest, it doesn't look like it appeals to me but the near perfect reviews and positive chat on here about it must count for something!

Hope it's as good as Life Is Strange.

;) :lol:
I was a fan at the time of release but I can't say I've had much desire to revisit it. Certainly less vexing than Life is Strange is proving to be so far - I'm just starting it now and struggling with a compulsion to turn my console off any time any character opens their mouth.

I've also gone back to Fallout 4, as it was the last game for which I purchased a Season Pass and I still haven't played any of the DLC. So far it's all just as disappointing and as the main game.
James

Post by James »

I really liked Oxenfree. An adventure game with a good bit of 80s teen movie sass (think more Goonies than Sixteen Candles though!) It's not likely to blow minds, but I had a great time uncovering the story. I've heard more than one person irked by the dialogue, but I thought it had a ring of authenticity, given that it's about teens, being teens, speaking like teens, and relating to other teens. ;)

Haven't played Life Is Strange yet, so I can't compare the two, sadly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think the difference is the kids in oxenfree sound like teens, the kids in life is strange sound like what a 30 year old dude thinks teens sound like.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

30 year old French dudes writing in English at that. Absolutely no xenophobia intended in that whatsoever of course, I just wonder if writing in a second language was partially responsible for some of the excruciatingly hamfisted sounding dialogue.

I've just finished the game and it was an experience of some pretty decent highs and some eye-rolling lows for me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: July 31st, 2017, 11:53 pm So much has already been said and written about with this title, so rather than just repeat that I will just say that it plays very well on the 3DS.
Hey man, if you wanna chat some more about it stick it in here, there's a bit of a Metroid thread going where I spoke about it when I first played it earlier in the year - would love to hear more about what you thought of it :) .

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1616&hilit=Metroid

I'm currently playing through Prime and enjoying it a lot - I've kind of got infatuated with the series recently.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote: August 1st, 2017, 7:14 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: July 31st, 2017, 11:53 pm So much has already been said and written about with this title, so rather than just repeat that I will just say that it plays very well on the 3DS.
Hey man, if you wanna chat some more about it stick it in here, there's a bit of a Metroid thread going where I spoke about it when I first played it earlier in the year - would love to hear more about what you thought of it :) .

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1616&hilit=Metroid

I'm currently playing through Prime and enjoying it a lot - I've kind of got infatuated with the series recently.
ooooo.... an invitation to nerd out... me likes!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I thought Oxenfree was pretty dull.

Another game which is pretty dull on the surface but has a kind of mysterious attraction is Elite. Currently I'm 1600 light years from populated space on my way to the galactic core. Found my first undiscovered system last night and one of the planets supports life! Admittedly it is some kind of ammonia-based radioplankton but I'll take it. It brings a tear to my eye imagining them tweeting furiously in the radioplankton White House in 400 million years time.

In other news, the universe is BIG. Who knew?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I did the first hour or so of Oxenfree last night and enjoyed it. I would have a hard time saying the dialogue is any better than LiS though. One thing I'm finding annoying is that you're never sure how long you have to make a dialogue choice. Sometimes I'd like to hear the end of what the other person is saying but you either have to interrupt them and cut them off or not say anything. Sometimes the choices linger on screen for a lot longer than other times. But, the music and general atmosphere makes up for that.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: I'm not saying I think the dialogue in Oxenfree is bad, more that I didn't mind it in Life Is Strange. I work with around 20 girls, most of whom are in their very late teens/early 20's, and I didn't really hear anything in LiS that I would have been surprised to hear one of them say at work! Their constant lame jokes and puns, and general attitude was pretty consistent with what the game had to offer!