Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Michiel K »

It does have that awesome Zuntata soundtrack, but I'm not sure I get the reference you're making... but maybe that's because the lyrics in Vissionerz are quite unintelligable to my ears?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Michiel K wrote: August 9th, 2018, 9:50 am It does have that awesome Zuntata soundtrack, but I'm not sure I get the reference you're making... but maybe that's because the lyrics in Vissionerz are quite unintelligable to my ears?
Hmmm... maybe its a musical Rorschach test... but yeah, that's the one. Great music in that game!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ It's out of this world. I was always deliberating if I should get the Saturn version or not. It was getting pricey and I played the game on Taito Legends 2, but the Saturn version runs in native resolution, whereas on PS2 it's upscaled to the less than ideal 480i. Getting it as a gift has solved that problem!

Plus I love the cover art.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Thanks to Leon I have been playing Dino Crisis on the Vita. This has always been near the top of my pile of shame. I never finished it. Half a hour in I can see why. The dinosaurs respawn all the time!. I have only been playing it for 30 minutes but I have already killed a Raptor 4 times in the same area. I remember nothing of the story and I am playing on easy so I am going to get through it. I also picked up Dino Crisis 2.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I did complete DC1 but I don’t remember the respawning enemies!

DC2 is, I believe, much more action-oriented than it is survival horror.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have memories of playing the two PS1 Dino Crisis games, and just remember them being basically reskinned Resident Evil games. I'd definitely be up for playing them again if they got a re-release - unlikely as that is.

Re: playing them on Vita, do you have to fiddle about much once you've bought them from the US store? As in, do you have to deactivate your UK account and add a US one? If you do that, are you still able to play games tied to your UK account or do you have to change it back before playing your existing library? It sounds a bit of a hassle, how have you found it Doms?

-----------

I've been playing nothing but Wii since getting it out last weekend basically. Lots of Mario Galaxy, what a game. What a game.

I played a bit when it came out, but the motion controls always put me off, and I dismissed the Wii pretty much in its entirety because of this, but I don't know whether it's because I've grown more patient with them, or tolerant rather, or just the fact I know I'm playing what are essentially old games now and accept the fact concessions have to be made, but they're just not bothering me now. I am absolutely loving Galaxy. Skyward Sword, too. I've been alternating between the two. In all honesty I don't know whether I'll play Zelda to completion, but Galaxy will be getting finished for sure. I almost feel like I've got a brand new console given how little time I spent with it back in the day. Its been a real nice surprise.

EDIT: It's also given me a huge library of games to be getting on with now I've let my PS+ lapse, too!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^Great stuff. A lot of fun and quirk (!) to be found in the Wii library.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex, a few recommendations:

Excite Truck is a monster, maybe my favourite arcade racer ever. Amazing sense of speed and putting my own tunes on a regular SD card (I forgot they existed until just now) made it even better.

Galaxy 2 is also amazing and well worth playing. All killer levels.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, obviously.

Pro Evo Wii is one of the most tactically precise football games ever in terms of control over passing and making runs. You basically drag and drop constantly to rearrange runs and passes and defenders' interceptions. It's truly inspired, and quite weird, a unique effort.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks for the recommendations - I've got Galaxy 2 so will almost certainly have a go on that at some point. I've also got the Metroid Prime trilogy, and have never played any of the before so looking forward to those! Excite Truck sounds interesting too. Pro Evo probably won't be one I pick up - not a massive football fan but it does sound unique!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I avoided buying Minit in the hope it would appear one day on Switch, and today is that day! Bizarre premise of your hero living for only 60 seconds in a Zelda-esque black and white 8-bit styled, rogue-lite world, doing simple quests, solving puzzles and killing monsters. But it really works! I’ve only played for an hour or so, but you soon work out how things work to progress your story,, planning out your next 60 second life as you carry out the next set of activities for this one.

Also dipped into another game on the NES Classic Mini that I’ve only ever briefly played before called Super Mario Bros. It’s quite good!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 9th, 2018, 3:02 pm I have memories of playing the two PS1 Dino Crisis games, and just remember them being basically reskinned Resident Evil games. I'd definitely be up for playing them again if they got a re-release - unlikely as that is.

Re: playing them on Vita, do you have to fiddle about much once you've bought them from the US store? As in, do you have to deactivate your UK account and add a US one? If you do that, are you still able to play games tied to your UK account or do you have to change it back before playing your existing library? It sounds a bit of a hassle, how have you found it Doms?

-----------

I've been playing nothing but Wii since getting it out last weekend basically. Lots of Mario Galaxy, what a game. What a game.

I played a bit when it came out, but the motion controls always put me off, and I dismissed the Wii pretty much in its entirety because of this, but I don't know whether it's because I've grown more patient with them, or tolerant rather, or just the fact I know I'm playing what are essentially old games now and accept the fact concessions have to be made, but they're just not bothering me now. I am absolutely loving Galaxy. Skyward Sword, too. I've been alternating between the two. In all honesty I don't know whether I'll play Zelda to completion, but Galaxy will be getting finished for sure. I almost feel like I've got a brand new console given how little time I spent with it back in the day. Its been a real nice surprise.

EDIT: It's also given me a huge library of games to be getting on with now I've let my PS+ lapse, too!
I had to wipe my vita and memory card totally. I only had a save file one hour into Resi 3 so it was not a big loss. I had to set up a new email, psn account and set my amazon account to the US to buy a digital psn voucher (none of my cards would work as they are all UK based). So a bit of a ball ache but worth it to get Dino Crisis done. I will finish Dino Crisis 1 and 2 then reinstall my previous account.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I have been trying to play through several Zeldas, but it's just not happening for me.

Scratched off on my list of attempts now are:

Link's Awakening
A Link to the Past
Breath of the Wild
Link's Crossbow Training (my favourite so far! Thanks Darren!)

There's nothing more stressful to me than failing to click with a game or series that a) I can't find rational fault with and b) everyone loves. It's infuriating and weirdly embarrassing.

Still have Ocarina of Time to try as I've already purchased it, but if that doesn't work I should probably save my money. Well, I also have the Oracles to play but something tells me that if I didn't get on with Past/Awakening, there might not be much point in bothering.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I really wouldn't recommend the Oracle games if you didn't enjoy LttP or LA.

The only thing I would say is that I know for some people who don't generally get on with Zelda, the Minish Cap seems to be a favourite.

While I think Ocarina of Time is still mostly quite excellent, and was astonishing 20 years ago, I do not think it's aged nearly as well as some of the other games that you've already tried.

It may just be that you don't dig the Zelda games (at this point in your life at least), and that's ok.
Not everybody does, same as with every other (series of) game(s).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've managed to get further with Okami today on Switch than I have on the previous four times I bought it.

I feel like I appreciate every aspect of it so much more than I ever did before, too. I've put the paper filter effect on Heavy and I'm gawping at it. I sit about 150cm from a 55" telly and the textures and layers and fluttering leaves are jumping off the screen.

The start is still pretty painful but I feel I'm 'in' now and having recently bounced off God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and every other single player narrative kind of thing I've tried, I'm glad to be into a game that isn't pure arcade or multiplayer.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Okami is one of the the slowest starting games I've ever played. Well worth getting past that though!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:49 pm The start is still pretty painful but I feel I'm 'in' now and having recently bounced off God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and every other single player narrative kind of thing I've tried, I'm glad to be into a game that isn't pure arcade or multiplayer.
Mate, I really hope you'll stick with it all the way to the end despite the infamous pacing issues.

If I may offer one bit of advice, there is a fairly climactic boss fight and sense of narrative closure at around the halfway point. It can be very difficult to continue playing immediately afterward, and a lot of people just bag it in at that point. So what I did was to take a calculated one month break in order to recharge my batteries and come back to it with renewed enthusiasm. I even jotted it down in my calendar to make sure I wouldn't forget. I basically treated the second half like a sequel of sorts.

All I can say is that it worked as intended and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone else. I probably wouldn't have finished it otherwise.

PS: I also acknowledge that this is very much the game's fault when one is forced to employ such subterfuge, but the final boss made it all worth it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks for the advice. I'm quite good once I build some momentum, and I've heard that it's a three act thing, almost a trilogy-in-one. That forewarning of the structure will probably be good for me, especially if it doesn't signal your progress especially well. I have genuinely missed being absorbed in a SP experience so I'm going to persist even if I feel the pull of something less committed.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m playing a lot of Dead Cells at the moment, and it might just be my favourite game of the year so far.

Really nice blend of Spelunky style level generation and Permadeath with the progression mechanics of a Metroid game. (Essentially you keep the things you’ve unlocked during a run for all subsequent runs, so each new run you’re a little more powerful than you were last time)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: August 10th, 2018, 8:06 am I’m playing a lot of Dead Cells at the moment......
Yeah, I'm going to be all over this - everyone has glowing comments over it and has some really great pulls for me gameplay wise.

I've ordered a physical copy that doesn't come out for another week, which should tie in nicely with when I get back from holiday.

Other than that I'm still into Octopath Traveler, Wario Ware Gold and WarioLand.

Played some VR over the last few days mind as we've some friends over from Tiawan, good fun to play as a group with a few beers 8-) .

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 10th, 2018, 5:25 am If I may offer one bit of advice, there is a fairly climactic boss fight and sense of narrative closure at around the halfway point. It can be very difficult to continue playing immediately afterward, and a lot of people just bag it in at that point. So what I did was to take a calculated one month break in order to recharge my batteries and come back to it with renewed enthusiasm. I even jotted it down in my calendar to make sure I wouldn't forget. I basically treated the second half like a sequel of sorts.
Top strat. I also took a break there and never came back.
Stanshall wrote: August 9th, 2018, 5:47 pm Excite Truck is a monster, maybe my favourite arcade racer ever. Amazing sense of speed and putting my own tunes on a regular SD card (I forgot they existed until just now) made it even better.
Very much agreed. This game still gets regular play in my house to this day. A real mainstay, funnily enough. My boy might love it even more than I do, shame he prefers the bleh OST to my carefully handpicked arrangement of songs, including 'A Day at the Races' by Jurassic 5, 'Daytona 500' by Ghostface Killah and 'Diesel Truckin'' by The Diesel Truckers.