Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

Is it ‘hackable’ like the Nintendo minis?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 10:11 am Is it ‘hackable’ like the Nintendo minis?
The first result I got regarding hacking was a battery mod to make it truely portable. So hardware-wise, yes!

Software wise... perhaps inevitably. It might just be early days, because I haven't found anything yet. But if there is a will, there'll definitely be a way. Maybe with the international release later this year.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I've been away camping in France, so recently I've been playing the Switch an awful lot.

I did however manage to forget my 3DS, very much to my wife's frustration and crippled my score chasing on WarioWare Gold.

Due to this, I've put what I feel may be my final hours in Octopath Traveler. Which has taken me to the 60 hour mark, I'll elaborate more on the reasons why in the games dedicated thread perhaps.

When we got back I had a stack of game parcels waiting for me, one of which was a physical copy of Dead Cells on the Switch, so I've been playing that for multiple hours each night for the past two days - it's good, very good.

Then, this weekend, I'm going to start WarioLand 2 I think and see what this add's to the series. Hopefully it'll be as enjoyable as the first...., I mean third....., WarioLand: Super Mario Land 3.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I decided to play through The Last Of Us Remastered on account of never having done the DLC and a reminder before the second one comes out. It's still exceptional. I'm just at the bit where the sniper is firing at you through the houses, it's such a great game no doubt. A few irritatingly difficult sections that don't seem so great nowadays, but overall, what a game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Been getting stuck into Jurassic World Evolution.

It is good if a little slow paced.

You start off on the smallest of the 5 islands and build a park successful enough you move onto the next one. Still on park one.

You send people out for fossils around the globe then farm DNA from the results. Once you reach a certain percentage you can try (and sometimes fail) to hatch a dinosaur.

Highlight was myself acting surprised when letting my first carnivore into the park then it started eating all the other dinosaurs. You can pilot helicopters and jeeps so you can fly and drive around the park you have built

Jeff Goldblum as Dr Ian Malcolm pops up every now and then. They didn't have the budget for Chris Pratt as although his character is in it, the voice is not him.

Big downer is that I seem to have hit either a bug or a brick wall. I cannot seem to get my head around powering the buildings. I have read a guide and watched a Youtube video but still none the wiser. Will have another go tomorrow but this might make me knock it on the head sadly. Also to get to the ''good stuff'' ie Raptors, T Rex and Isla Nublar it looks like you need to invest a lot of time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played a bit of couch co-op Spelunky last night with my eldest. He played on PS4 and created a LAN game which I then joined on my Vita. It worked perfectly.

I'm not a huge fan of the game really. I think it's ok but it never clicked with me in the way those types of games need to to keep you coming back to them.

However, in two player it was a lot more fun! We played about an hour and didn't stop laughing! Coming up with ways to distract the shop keeper so one of us could steal all his items, pushing each other in to traps, setting off the giant boulder without telling the other one, it was really good! We never made it past the mines once, but this game really shone for me in co-op.

Can anyone recommend any more similar-ish games in couch co-op? We were going to try Risk Of Rain which I loved in single player but it was time for him to go to bed. Overcooked we enjoy too, but anyone got any others?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah, thanks I'd forgotten all about that one, I remember thinking it was 'ok' when I tried it ages ago, but that'll be much more fun in two player!
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Co-Op missions on Mario + Rabbids are great fun and very satisfying to pull off as a team - they get super challenging too.

Not sure if that’s an option to you mind.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just started Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age last night. When XII first came out, I was very broke and started college soon after, so I never got around to it. But, now I'm back! I'm very excited about it.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Dr Wily’s Castle at the end of Megaman 2 is driving me insane!!! I’ve also been playing Night Trap on the Switch. Remember it coming out originally but first time I’ve played it, and being a sucker for crap horror (and crap games) from that period, I absolutely love it. Very simple gameplay concept once you work it out, masked by some very hammy FMV, but the ambition the developers must have had and the tools at their disposal excuses that. It’s definitely for a niche audience, and a lot of its appeal is nostalgia, but it still creates a great feeling of tension, and every time you screw up there’s a real feeling of I’ll do better next time. A classic in many ways.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

duskvstweak wrote: August 25th, 2018, 5:46 pm Just started Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age last night. When XII first came out, I was very broke and started college soon after, so I never got around to it. But, now I'm back! I'm very excited about it.
So much for you to look forward too, easily my 2nd favourite behind 7.

Figured out the power situation in Jurassic Park and figured out most of the systems now, Really fun.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Signed up for two months of game pass for two quid and started Vermintide 2 with our Karl Moon

To say it’s a left 4 Dead clone would be selling it short... but it’s left a good first impression
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Playing a whole bunch of things this week because it’s Ultimate Head to Head time again over at TrueAchievements.

Spent a bit of time this weekend playing Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: Martyr. It’s... ok. It’s quite clunky and doesn’t do a good job of explaining how things work, but if you know your 40k it’s a pretty decent action RPG. (It’s not quite as fluid as the console versions of Diablo, slightly slower pace than that)

Trying to decide if I also want to get Phantom Doctrine. A turn based xcom style game with spies in the Cold War as it’s setting is very much my jam, but reviews seem a little cautious. Sounds like it maybe needs more time to bake, might be worth it after a few more title updates perhaps?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: August 26th, 2018, 1:48 pm Trying to decide if I also want to get Phantom Doctrine. A turn based xcom style game with spies in the Cold War as it’s setting is very much my jam, but reviews seem a little cautious. Sounds like it maybe needs more time to bake, might be worth it after a few more title updates perhaps?
I bought this, having read two glowing console site reviews. Then I read two pc site reviews which slated it. I haven’t started it as I was away for the weekend and this coming week is looking hectic so I don’t know when I’ll get to it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Bit of a mix of things recently, as I think I have developed a bit of an appetite after burning out on certain genres.

I fancied a AAA experience on one of the powerhouse consoles, so was stuck between finally finishing off Fallout 4, or finally starting Horizon Zero Dawn.

I took to Twitter in search of some additional guidance and ended up going with finally finishing Fallout 4 #OffMyPlate

I loaded it up and remembered that I had just gotten to the Institute and was expected to do the whole meet the entire society and established relationships with them based off my previous 154 hours interactions with their legacy and my personal standing/beliefs.

Of course, to which I have no recollection with and little inclination.

I turned it off and started Horizon.

Nice. Shooting feels excellent and the kinetic feedback makes the moment to moment encounters exciting.

The beginning is also very parental, and about a young baby and it's protection - something that very much resonates with me at the moment similar to God of War (2018), so I have that connection but also I'm pulled by the story wanting to know the reasons for things and the lure of ravaged, past Earth and it's downfall is always another thing I'm going to go in for.

Dinosaur Robot's though - still not feeling it at all.

Interestingly, before I started playing, watch the NoClip making of documentary, which has no real spoilers and set up the starting of this game wonderfully, I grabbed a coffee, pack of jaffa cakes and watched that hour video, then, immediately started the game.

I'm about 4 hours in say.

I'm also continuing to play Dead Cell's on the Switch, which is perfect to take to bed with and do a run, or flop on the sofa next to the wife and do a few runs while she watches Big Brother, or a cooking thing.

Then, I'm into and exploring the interesting game that is Wario Land 2 on the GameBoy (on my GameCube). This is such a diagonal step in terms of game play from the first one that I'm having trouble adapting to it's intricacies and not sure if I'm currently enjoying it as much as the first one. I'll press on and finish it though and see where I am after that, as I have a feeling this has more twists and turns to come.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I want to like 40k Inquisitor. There’s a fun game in there somewhere. But it needs some bug fixing love before I can really recommend it to anyone.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I've become kind of addicted to Marvel vs. Capcom 2, guys. Keep thinking about it when not playing. The much improved visual experience of playing on Dreamcast + CRT, in combination of actually having to unlock a large portion of the cast, has brought some real enjoyment and focus to the whole thing. I no longer am left befuddled with the enormous character roster, starting with a smaller selection and unlocking more characters to try out, bit by bit.

I'm now truly appreciating how ridiculously open ended this game's systems are and I love the sense of experimenting with teams and assists to find some really cheap stuff. Capcom vs. SNK 2 might be more mechanically rich, but this one is way less rigid. Maybe more than any other fighting game, MvC2 can be a real study project, if you want it to be. It's undoubtedly very broken as a result of its open endedness, but that's an integral part of its appeal, funnily enough.

Competitively, I'd prefer something like CvS2, KOFXIII or even Street Fighter IV any day, but this game is just so much fun to mess around with.
Suits wrote: August 28th, 2018, 8:41 am Then, I'm into and exploring the interesting game that is Wario Land 2 on the GameBoy (on my GameCube). This is such a diagonal step in terms of game play from the first one that I'm having trouble adapting to it's intricacies and not sure if I'm currently enjoying it as much as the first one. I'll press on and finish it though and see where I am after that, as I have a feeling this has more twists and turns to come.
I've started this one, too (by way of 3DS VC), and wasn't immediatey grabbed. I'll continue, though. Keep posting your experiences, please!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: August 28th, 2018, 9:37 am I've started this one, too (by way of 3DS VC), and wasn't immediatey grabbed. I'll continue, though. Keep posting your experiences, please!
Man, I'd settled down to play it and wasn't instantly aware of the type of game it was.

The manual hinted at it but it wasn't that clear.

I also got stuck, proper stuck with what to do on the first boss. I had to look it up unfortunately which I hate doing but it was in danger of pushing the game further away from me.

I'm on the third world now and still think that there's a unique game in there, it just has to make its intentions clear, which I think it's doing but more than anything I want to see it through to get the full picture.

It gives me a sort of Lost Vikings vibe........
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

In the year of 2018, I thought it was about time to pick up 2011's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Being on sale for around $12 AUD was the main motivator.

It's certainly a better looking game than the more recent Infinite, though I still think Marvel vs Capcom 2 (and basically most games from that era) is still a much better looking game. I have the Sega Naomi version of 2, though I'm still building that cabinet so it'll be a while before I can dig into that.

And I agree, Marvel vs Capcom 2 plus CRT = silky smooth animation - it's a really beautiful game. That Dreamcast version is pretty damn good! I was testing out MvC 2 on the CRT I got, and yeah, it's a very noticeable difference.