Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by stvnorman »

Last year I put hours and hours into the Trackmania Turbo demo on PS4. Maybe an idea for a thread - demos so good you didn't need to buy the game! The original Twisted Metal was another that comes to mind. Anyway, I did eventually get the full game for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful arcade racer with that Trials one more go compulsion to try and knock off the split second between you and gold.

I've also been sitting on a Wolfenstein: The Old Blood install since Christmas, and still would be had I not bought Mad Max in the PlayStation Store sale last week and found the download wouldn't fit. (The medieval internet connection makes deleting and reinstalling more hassle than its worth). I'd forgotten how much I love the macho simplicity of Wolfenstein. It's more of the same, but that's more than enough!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

There seems to be a bit of buzz around Stellaris (PC) lately, so I've been giving that a go after buying it at full price a year ago and never touching it. It's fun:

It's basically a 4X with a bunch of storylines and random events sprinkled through it. For example my first colonists discovered an ancient terraforming machine deep beneath the planet surface, a remnant of an ancient alien race, and reckoned they could get it working again with a bit of research. I invested in this, and a couple of months later they got it started.....only for it to convert the planet to an ammonia-based atmosphere and completely wipe out my colony. This event shrunk my borders as well, so I lost a load of mining and research stations, providing a significant setback to my empire.

I've just discovered an alien sensor array and have the option to turn it on. Yeah, game, I'm gonna do that for sure.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Stellaris is part of next months Humble Bundle Monthly, so anyone interested can pick it up for just $12, plus you will get a fair few other games. Can always cancel the next month if you're not interested. I started a few months back for Warhammer, and they keep on throwing some seriously good games in there so I've stuck around.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Well, I have hit a brick wall with Firewatch. I was doing a second playthrough with the audio commentary on and doing stuff in the game that I missed out first time and was generally having a great time. So I was on the final day and had one last thing to do, go to the dropoff and get out of the park. Would listen to the last few audio logs on the way and choose a different ending, job's a good un. But it was getting late and I had work the next day so I saved my game and turned off the PS4. Next day I turn on the console and boot up the game.

I can't load the game. I try using earlier save points, resetting the console, nothing works. I literally had 15 mins of the game to go and I cannot do anything except delete all my data and start over (cannot start a new game either).

I am pretty annoyed to be honest. Apparently this is a common bug and Campo Santo knew about this ages ago. Even mentioned on their website! Tried following their instructions, game still not working. How could they have let such a game destroying bug in the final version?! I have been pretty lucky when it comes to encountering glitches and bugs in games and few have made a game just flat out unplayable. I will have to start everything all over again and I should not have to! I am taking a break from this game and trying something else. Will go and try and properly finish the audio commentary when I am not so pissed off with this situation.

I was having a really wonderful time with this and for this to have happened has really soured me on the whole thing. First Yooka Laylee with its wretched final boss and now this?! Is 2017 destined to be the year where any game I enjoy is going to be ruined by awful design decisions at the very end or glitches? Here is hoping the next game on the list does not shit the bed on me....
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Had a nice afternoon playing some Wii U with my daughter. She still can't really control much or move characters around but enjoys bibbing the horn in Mario Kart and soothing the horse in Zelda.

But today I dusted off Nintendoland and I watched her face light up for an hour playing that motion control F-Zero game and the throwing star Ninja game.

Nintendo are so amazing at attracting the next generation of gamer. She barely knows the name of the programmes she watches but will ask me to put on Donkey Kong, Mario and Toad all the time. Colourful graphics for the win.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, good to hear man, I totally understand the appeal of little ones, it works on old ones too kind :lol: .

I find non-gaming folk are a lot more receptive to stuff like opposed to more serious, Dark Souls, Destiny, type of thing.

I'm playing Disgeae 5 Complete on my Switch, I'm about 3 hours in and I'm enjoying it but - dear God the interruptions of story and cut scenes breaks are killing it for me.

I like a bit of story and was getting into it but I just want to play the game, let me find out some things via the gameplay, or don't make me need to know everything from the off, drip feed some things in a touch.

But even after I rode the mechanic demos, the story elements just keep on coming, all the time.

I'd say at least half of my 3 hours has been watching the cutscenes (the auto roll for the text in the cutscenes is a brilliant thing I might add) and it's really killing it for me :( .
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I've caved in and started playing Persona 5. I was originally going to push it back to address some of the game back-log, but eh...

Because of the previous two games I played through recently, Steins;Gate and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I found it super jarring to hear American voice actors within a Japanese environment again. I've played through Persona 3 and 4, and I knew 5 was localised too, but I was surprised by how used I was to hearing Japanese voice actors.

And thats all the spoiler-free things I can mention.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Google tells me that there is a free japanese voice pack DLC, so maybe you should look into that? This type of thing really should be included on the disc from the beginning.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

countstex wrote: May 26th, 2017, 8:33 pm Stellaris is part of next months Humble Bundle Monthly, so anyone interested can pick it up for just $12, plus you will get a fair few other games. Can always cancel the next month if you're not interested. I started a few months back for Warhammer, and they keep on throwing some seriously good games in there so I've stuck around.
Worth noting that you can play it with an integrated graphics card too, you don't need a GPU.

I'm still playing it. I've put a monstrous amount of time into it over the last week. Super stuff.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I've been playing a bit through Overwatch thanks to the anniversary event and right away I got the D.Va skin so that's all I need :D but yeah the game is pretty different I got to try a bit of Orisa,there's more modes and maps so it's still pretty fun.

Also getting more into Tactics Ogre and Im wrapping my head around all the mechanics, and I just realized that from the get go your party is bigger then the max you have on FFT so that's interesting also I dont know why but the intro cutscene didnt play for me on the vita, but I sure would've have liked to have seen this intro before starting the game because it makes understanding what's happening way easier and it's really badass to XD
Angryzeusgaming

Post by Angryzeusgaming »

I'm approaching what I believe to be the end of my first playthrough of Nier:Automata. This game keeps surprising me in interesting ways and I am WAY more emotionally invested in the story than I thought I would be. A stellar soundtrack always helps draw me in completely to a digital world and this game is no different. The "This Cannot Continue" fight is where I dove headfirst into this title.

You can also find me punching Superman in the face as much as possible in Injustice 2.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 29th, 2017, 7:47 am Google tells me that there is a free japanese voice pack DLC, so maybe you should look into that? This type of thing really should be included on the disc from the beginning.
It's funny you mention that, because as soon as I posted that I thought "maybe I should just Google that". And sure enough, you are correct: there is a 2.9 gig Japanese audio patch.

I too wish it were just included on the disc. I'm on a 25g per month plan (mainly because that what my budget allows), and every patch and update eats into that. But Persona 5 is a game I've been really looking forward to, and at three hours in I'll patch and restart. A pain in the arse for me, but if I'm going to invest the time now would be the best time to do it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm giving Endless Space 2 a blast, but it's not grabbing me so far. I remember the first one being very entertaining and a pleasure to play (the UI at the time was a revelation) but the UI is a mess on this one. I might need to take a step back after playing Stellaris for about a 100 hours, and turn on the Playstation instead.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Finishing off my trifecta of Telltale games and finishing Game of Thrones today.

Not pleased *at all* about the last chapter being downloadable.

If Telltale don't start putting the full game on the disc again, I won't be buying TT games at all.

Tired of them trying to sell me a blank disc.
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 5th, 2017, 12:30 am Finishing off my trifecta of Telltale games and finishing Game of Thrones today.

If Telltale don't start putting the full game on the disc again, I won't be buying TT games at all.

Wow, I genuinely didn't know that was the case. I'd assume that buying the full game/season on disc means getting the full game/season on disc.

How very dickish!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:31 am I'd assume that buying the full game/season on disc means getting the full game/season on disc.
Oh, you silly goose. Don't ya know how the real world works? :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I assume the discs were pressed before the last episode existed. That last episode was *super* late releasing.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 5th, 2017, 12:30 am Finishing off my trifecta of Telltale games and finishing Game of Thrones today.

Wow that is a dickish move!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Being playing The Last Guardian over the past week, an hour a night, taking my time with it. I have been curious about this game ever since it was announced what, like a decade ago? Never played Shadow of the Colossus and Ico did not sustain my interest but this I really do want to see to the end.

I really like Trico's design, it is the right amount of cute and intimidating mixed into one. This game does a great job of nurturing the bond you have with the beast and even makes you attached to it. When I would have to leave its side in order to figure a way to progress further, his crying would actually make me guilty that I was leaving him! The puzzles are satisfying to solve and so far, I have seen a lot of nice setpieces and variety in the situations you and your feathery companion find yourself in. It is also a beautiful title, sometimes I just like to put the title down and observe Trico washing himself in puddles or gaze out at the impressive architecture around me. And the music is used very sparingly but when it hits, it is aural bliss.

So yeah, enjoying this one a lot so far.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 6:55 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:31 am I'd assume that buying the full game/season on disc means getting the full game/season on disc.
Oh, you silly goose. Don't ya know how the real world works? :P
I'm slowly learning! :oops: