Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

Played the second chapter of the Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy game this evening.

I like this base story they're doing. It's going to some interesting places but...

The delivery is so flat. The jokes aren't landing well. I think it might be one of the weaker Telltale games I've played, right now I think it's only the nicely done fight sections that have it above the Game of Thrones one for me right now. (And I suspect part of that is the soundtrack choices)

But this should've been a challenge to Tales from the borderlands, at least in terms of humour. And it's not even close. Still, three more chapters for them to try and stick the landing, and as I've paid for the thing already anyway...
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Went to my local game shop last weekend and seen Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA so I went and snatched that up straight away. I loved the two follow up games Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story yet I never played the original and I also wanted something to get me away from the soul crushing barrel sections of the Last Guardian.

I am only an hour into it and so far I am really digging it. Great combination of platforming and RPG elements which is typical of the series and I really enjoy the active battle system that this game uses, makes battles a lot more interesting while still allowing you to plan out your tactics. Also you get into the story straight away, the tutorial and main gameplay has been really well integrated so you are learning how the game plays and just diving straight into it! I am also happy that I am playing a Mario RPG that has new worlds and characters in it (looking at you, Sticker Star!) and experiencing it all for the first time. So yeah, very positive first impression indeed!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think Superstar Saga remains my favourite of the series. Possibly because it was the first, but possibly because I think it was the funniest (and freshest).
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Good to hear, now you got me excited to play more of it! Also in regards to your query about my name in Sound of Play, I do go by Mr. Thanks for asking!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'll try to remember!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Deus Ex Human Revolution (PS3)

I'm not a huge fan of stealth, so I'll probably end up shooting my way through it. It's a bit weird to navigate at the moment - for example on the first mission I faffed about in the offices so much, reading emails and that, that the bad guys killed all the hostages. Bit harsh.

The hacking game is a complete mystery, and there seems to be no simple explanation online. Inventory management is challenging. Still, it seems to be a pretty well-imagined world, and hopefully I'll enjoy it. I've bought some springs for my boots so that should help.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Dragon Quest 7 on the 3DS.

It's lovely to play a turn based RPG again.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Still chipping away at Doom 2016 in between playing games for the podcast and working late hours. The short bursts suit me well, as the action in the game is vertitably heart pounding and I always feel the need to take a breather after having dealt with a particularly rough wave of marauding demons. It feels more like an arcade game than any other FPS I've ever played, more so than the likes of Painkiller or Serious Sam and I think it's because it rewards an aggressive playstyle and punishes runaway tactics, so you're in the absolute thick of it at all time when (all) hell breaks loose.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Horizon Zero Dawn.

Bloody hell it is good!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I finally gave Nier: Automata another good go. I've now finished endings A & B. I must admit that I was very confused by the quest system. Turns out you can simply ignore all side quests, hammer the main story missions and be done with it. I found Run B much more enjoyable on that basis, and the various changes and stuff were often really cool. I also really liked the new mechanic introduced. I understand that Run C is pretty much the definitive one so I'm really looking forward to that, too, and then checking out some spoilers! I would say that the moment to moment gameplay is pretty repetitive and simplistic compared to the depth of Bayonetta but it's all the other stuff, and the different directions and abundance of ideas which make the game. I'm starting to get why it has such fervent fans.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I picked up SOMA in the Gog sale, as I'd previously played it on PS4 and wanted to try it with the Wuss Mode mod (monsters dont attack) to see if the story etc holds up on a second play through.

Just decided to check whether I could get the mod working, and then got sucked in and spent three hours playing. My god, it's magnificent.
Bluebird55

Post by Bluebird55 »

Runescape...I'm going to toss a penny in a fountain soon and hope to be the "correspondent" by making podcasts for C&R (my own ones, of course) but I am only skill level 877 and combat level 74 so far, it's long and I want to be in a position where I have made waaay more progress, still, I have seen enough to say yes, I really like what they are doing in the 10 years of me playing this game and yes, I think I might be able to scrape enough experience to make a podcast! (yay, maybe! :P)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I started Dragon Age Inquisition, why? It was cheap and I was curious to see how it turned out after hearing both positive and negative things about it.

Well so far Im not impressed, what's annoying me the most is the damn combat because it's the same clusterfuck that DA2 was and it's awfull, if you're a warrior and click the attack button you just swing your sword in front of you like an idiot and so you have to painfully walk to every enemy and keep clicking the mouse, I started as a warrior but just like when I played DA2 I had to switch to a Mage just because he's ranged and auto targets so it's less annoying. "Oh but the tactical view from the original is back!" they said, Well it kinda of is only it's worse, for starters the camera gives you a top down but very limited view of the battlefield so you have to constantly move the camera to see anything and instead of doing that with say the mouse you have to use WASD, and it doesnt really matter because once you give an order the characters will execute that and then the AI will just take over again and do whatever it wants unless of course it's the character you're controlling in which case you have to keep clicking the mouse or you will stop attacking. There was nothing wrong with the combat system of the original game the auto attacks worked fine, you had full control of all your party and you could set up the AI in detail to act like you wanted in determined situations without having to micromanage everything yourself. This "hybrid" system they started in DA2 this fucking sucks and I hate to hear so many reviews saying how "DA2 and Inquisition improved the combat" not it wasnt fucking improved, just because it's more flashy and you have to press more buttons doesnt mean it's better.

Also the UI in this game is god awfull, whoever designed the inventory in particular should be fired and prevented from designing menus ever again! And boy do they do a poor job at explaning all the requisition stuff and how the war table works,etc. I like the idea of having Haven as a hub and having to build this Inquisition(they kinda tried their hand at that in Awakening) but,at first glace anyway,it's all set up very poorly and Im more confused then anything, also the need to collect 50 bear asses for whatever my subordinates require isnt very appealing.

As for story well they are still at the Mage vs Templar drivel, they ran that into the ground in the previous game but I guess we're stuck with it, the beginning is very contrieved and I dont really like how they immediatly make you the chosen one and give you control over everything, I mean Cassandra should be the head of the Inquisition not me but Im calling the shots, it's a very lazy storytelling device and you get that constant eye rolling interaction with NPCs constantly reminding you that: "You're the most special person ever!" DA2 for all it's problems at least didnt have that. But hey at least I can play as a Qunari now so it aint all bad,
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Hah, sounds terrible!

I'm pretty impressed with Deus Ex HR so far. The levels are big, but kind of intimate in that it's a good idea to become very familiar with the level, and the quests that take place in them are quite interesting. I'm in the final part of the first visit to Hengsha at the moment. I'm wandering around with ten unspent praxis points because I'm only using them for specific problems that crop up, for example meet poison gas, spend points on rebreather upgrades.

I remember a lot of debate about the game at the time it came out, and it's a pity not to be part of that, but enjoying it a lot.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I picked up all 3 Silent Scope games for the PS2 today, for a grand total of $10.

I love these games. They are that kind of B-level Japanese shooter from the early 2000s that I love.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I managed to get hold of a physical copy of Cave Story+ on the Switch.

It's a NTSC copy, the only downside is that I'm unable to redeem the Nintendo points from the cartridge.

Anyway, I'm about 3 hours in and enjoying it very much. Good little story that is unfolding well with little to no introduction - which I prefer in games.

The controls are sharp with good character momentum and really snappy shooting.

I like it :) .
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I've played through Episode 1 of Life is Strange. Nice concept, well-crafted mechanics, and I'm intrigued by where the story is going, but there's no way I'm spending another 8 hours or whatever in the company of a bunch of whiny American teenagers that I've got zero empathy for.

I have been sucked right back into No Man's Sky again though!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: June 24th, 2017, 9:20 pm
I have been sucked right back into No Man's Sky again though!
How is it now? I got a copy not that long after launch (pre any updates anyway) and actually enjoyed what I played but stopped after a couple of hours and decided to give it a year. Well it's almost been a year and I know there is so much more to the game now - with still more planned. What I really need to drag me in though is some sort of story and more clearly defined end goal aside from 'erm yeah just get to the centre of the universe mate'. Does this seem to have been added yet? My dream would be a proper quest system across the universe with multiple paths and things to do etc. Do you know if they're getting close to that yet?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That side of things isn't much different. They haven't pulled a Taken King but in every other way, it's seen significant improvements. Many quality of life improvements, vehicles and base building, much more variety of materials, seriously improved graphics (not sure how but it runs way better). I am extremely fond of the time I put into NMS, and moreso in hindsight. Despite its gaping flaws, I won't forget the sense of wonder and jaw dropping possibility it inspired in my imagination.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Went back to Diablo 3 last week, research for work. Finally levelled my main character to 70 and completed a bunch of other late game achievements. Now that season play is on console I thought I might try that, but the current season ended literally the day I decided I'd play it, so I'll go back to that when the next season starts at the end of July.

Instead I decided to start playing Horizon: Zero Dawn instead (picked it up for 30 quid in the 'Days of Play' sale). Liking it a lot so far, it's so very pretty, but also has a fairly interesting story so far...