Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

Had my first wanting to launch my controller through the window whilst playing Street Fighter V :lol: it does make my brain get really hot at times* (*losing to shit Ryu's) :D

It is bloody brilliant though. I am persisting with Menat even though she has some issues. I have lost 12 times and won 6 as the woman keeps annoyingly telling me in the lobby :lol: . I have played over 150 matches as Laura now though.

Started playing Resident Evil (2002) and didn't realise the dog kills you if you try open the door as it gets in?. I'm sure in the 1996 one you can slam the door and it was only the 2nd time it got in and killed you?.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No dogs come in at all in the 1996 version. After the cut scene you just get text saying it’s too dangerous.

I mean, the 2002 intruder dog(s) only kill you if you let them..!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've been playing through REmake recently for the first time and it scared the bejesus out of me when the dog came in!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Picked up World to the West for Switch and it’s a little rough in polish (though there’s a patch in the works) but I’m having fun with it. Reminds me a lot of the DS Zelda games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 29th, 2018, 11:57 am No dogs come in at all in the 1996 version. After the cut scene you just get text saying it’s too dangerous.

I mean, the 2002 intruder dog(s) only kill you if you let them..!
Ah yes I stand corrected. The dog pounced on me before I got a shot off and wouldn't get off me. I had not even saved at that point! :x
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: January 29th, 2018, 3:10 pm The dog pounced on me before I got a shot off and wouldn't get off me.
In case you aren't aware, you can rotate the stick(s) to escape enemy grabs more quickly. You'll save a ton of healing items over time by doing so. A single dog bite / grab shouldn't kill you when you're at full or even half health.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm going to preface by saying: I've being dating a woman for the last month who's been trying to understand my love of games better, and credit to her, she doesn't have to, but she does anyway. She has a doctorate in English literature, and in a feminist. She also like handbags, pink (as in the colour), and growing up, Barbie.

Last night she came around to proudly show off her recent purchase: Barbie: Jet, Set & Style for the Wii, which she picked up cheap from the bargain bins. As a man who has a particular love of bad movies and other trash, I was more than happy to pop this in and have a laugh.

After a basic tutorial explaining my role in this exciting world of wonder, we got down to business, starting with hair styling! Now, the goal is:

1. First, take your Wii remote and down a downward movement to straighten the hair with your virtual brush.
2. Cut it to the right length. This means there's a golf-swing bar, where you must hit the A button at a certain time. I refused to be told how I, a fashionista and artist, should be told how to cut hair, so I intentionally cut either too long or short.
3. Now, to actually cut, you hit the A+B buttons together. Can't really do more than that.

After finishing my masterpiece of see-sawing hair, I got told by Barbie that I did great. I agreed. I know I did great Barbie, I'm a fashionitsa! I don't need your condescending and forced approval!

I wish I could say more about this game. After repeating the same thing a few times, for some reason the Wii remote was not registering the pointer on the screen, and that required a reset. :( Oh well, we gave the game the best chance to succeed, but alas fate was not on our side.

Overall, she was unimpressed, and I wanted to keep playing, if only to see how I could further break the game.

I give Barbie: Jet, Set & Style for the Wii - 1,000,000 pink stars :?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks, Joshi. I needed the laugh. :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Season Eight contender, surely?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Been totally obsessed with Monster Hunter World, as many others have been. I knew I was going to like it, but it's still got its hooks in me more than I expected. Been really hard to stay away. That loop of preparation and hunting is so compelling. The hunts themselves are great of course too. They always feel dynamic and different each time, but not chaotic or messy in any way. I started off using the Switch Axe, and I was really enjoying that, but I ended up hitting a roadblock with the Anjanath, so I switched to the Longsword, which I used a lot in 3U. Suddenly made a lot of hunts quite a bit easier. I'd like to go back to the axe at some point though, and maybe try out something else. Been thinking of trying out a blunt weapon type, as it seems useful for the point I'm at. I would like to try the Hunting Horn, since that has always seemed like a great asset in multiplayer whenever I've been in a squad with one. It seems pretty tricky to get the hang of though.

Other than that, I've still been playing more Metal Gear Rising too. I'm not as focused on it as I was in my last two runs, but I have managed to get to the end of this Very Hard playthrough. I actually didn't have much trouble going through this mode either, much like how I expected Hard to be tougher than it was. I have to admit though, I think I've been leaning too hard on the infinite Blade Mode energy wig. I've gotten right up to the last boss, and it is completely crushing me, even with unlimited Ripper Mode. Kind of annoying that they would allow you to get to this point with zero punishment, and then suddenly slam down on the player like that, but eh. Time to git gud, or quit maybe.
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 29th, 2018, 10:16 pm Thanks, Joshi. I needed the laugh. :lol:
8-)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Stanshall wrote: January 29th, 2018, 10:18 pm Season Eight contender, surely?
Seconded
Joshihatsumitsu

DomsBeard wrote: January 30th, 2018, 12:13 am
Stanshall wrote: January 29th, 2018, 10:18 pm Season Eight contender, surely?
Seconded
Thirded (is that a word?!?) ;)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

After wringing almost every last drop out of Horizon Zero Dawn I was going to go for a much smaller game this time but after all the critical attention and the demo, I have now dropped into Nier Automata instead. Was surprised when I seen the first area of the game was the same as the demo so am very excited to see what set pieces will be coming my way going forward. Only two hours in so far and one of the most delightful things I have come across so far is that you can
Spoiler: show
ride a moose!
Was not expecting that in a game like this, avoiding spoilers like the plague so I can be continually surprised throughout my playthrough. Definitely digging what I have seen so far, 2b herself is really fun to control and the combat is simple but compelling at the same time, am intrigued to see how upgrades will affect my fighting skills.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just started Mark of the Ninja. It's a lot of fun, and though I still get stuck at points, it's the first "stealth" game I've felt competent at. I even see myself replaying all the missions for the highest scores/rewards. It's also darn pretty to look at!
Plus, Civ VI has been fun and I just got some new cards for Dropmix!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm not getting on with Dishonored 2 at all, I'm moaning and gurning my way through it.

The setting is wonderful and really interesting. And then it's filled to the brim with guards on hair-triggers who don't let you enjoy it. I realise that this is a ridiculous complaint in the context of a stealth game. Overall I'm finding it a bit too tough, and subsequently can't be bothered hunting down runes, which means I have no powers outside of Reach, which perpetuates the cycle.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've played through the first half of RE7 yesterday, in what I consider to be fairly ideal conditions: Alone at night, while wearing headphones and little to no external distractions.

...Let's just say there are times when being a superfan of something is beneficial, and this is not one of those times.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Where did it start falling apart for you? At the 'dinner' or did you have issues with the preceding quiet section? I'm guessing the dinner....
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

At the part where I realized that my inputs didn't really matter and that I would be having 90% of the same experience from watching it on YouTube.

Tell you what, man. I believe in factual analysis and level-headed criticism, so I'll make sure to finish it first and let it all sink in before going on one of my rants. Check the RE thread in a few days. ;)