Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Flabyo »

Michiel K wrote:So, ummm... whatcha been playing? :P
The Witness, enjoying it so far, seem to be making progress every time I play so it's not gotten too frustrating yet.

Thinking about getting Injustice 2 at the weekend, going to read a few more reviews first.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Started Dead Space 2 last night for a second play through now it is backwards compatible. I must be getting an old man as my nerves can't handle it as well as I did 6 years ago. Amazing start though!.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Re censorship.. one of the pluses to being in Denmark...
Censorship in Denmark has been prohibited since 1849 by the Constitution:

§ 77: Any person shall be at liberty to publish his ideas in print, in writing, and in speech, subject to his being held responsible in a court of law. Censorship and other preventive measures shall never again be introduced.

If you want some context for that I suggest the film En Kongelig Affære (A Royal Affair) which although about the relationship between Queen Caroline Matilda of Great Britain, and the royal physician Johann Friedrich Struensee whilst married to King Christian VII it ties very strongly into why censorship is such a big thing here. Really good film with Mads Mikkelsen, provided you can watch films with subtitles, or know Danish!

As for gaming. Gone back again to X-Com.. with the Long War mod of course :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just had to look that mod up. Sounds class!
countstex

Post by countstex »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 16th, 2017, 12:55 pm Just had to look that mod up. Sounds class!
It's a very different game. But I have a hard time playing it vanilla now :)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok so I got back into Bayonetta, playing Nioh got me back in the mindframe for it, and man I love this game so much I mean, Nioh is really really good and it's still my game of the year but Bayonetta just dwarfs it, the only real thing I have a problem with are the quick time events in cutscenes that can often lead to death without warning and in a game where you want to get the best ranking this is really annoying, but other then that I love everything about it.
Im still getting back into the groove of things but Im already doing way better then before, another thing that's a bit of problem is that on console the loading screens would give time to pratice combos and such and it was actually really usefull but now on the PC the game loads so fast there isnt time to try anything XD.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Can't you stay in the loading /practice screen till you press start?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got Future Unfolding on PS4 today. Looking forward to giving it a go later.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Along side TMS#FE I finally finished one of the four (technically five, but whatev's) dungeons in Biomotor Unitron on the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Spoiler-free observations:
  • The random battles are terribly frequent. A very audible groan escapes my mouth everytime that battle chime kicks in. One of the elements of JRPG's that I'm glad have been creatively phased out over the years.
  • While the very unique joystick on the NGP makes fighting games a genuine joy, in JRPG's it leads to a bit of misdirection, which leads to more bloody random battles!
I'll still plough through it. Different dungeon's require different setups and strategies, and despite my complaints, after failing and then finally finishing that first dungeon, I want to get that same feeling of accomplishment again.
Angryzeusgaming

Post by Angryzeusgaming »

I think I am one of the only people I know who is going to see Yooka-Laylee through to the end. Despite its obvious and overwhelming flaws, the nostalgia that this game is igniting in me is significant and specific. I was the kid who had a specific notebook dedicated only to Banjo-Kazooie, writing down answers to quiz questions and marking locations of items I could not yet reach. That curiosity that I had as a child is not exactly resurfacing in Yooka-Laylee, yet I find my playing of this game is somewhat revealing of the type of child I was. I have no grand delusions in thinking that the developers had this in mind when they made the game. I am sure they were just looking to create a competent Banjo successor that made people nostalgic for the N64. I believe that they were successful in this endeavor. However, what I have been getting from playing this game is a unique view at the child that I used to be and what motivated him. I can't say that Yooka-Laylee is a great game. I can't say that it hasn't frustrated me to pieces. But I can say that I am enjoying seeing where it takes me and what that journey is telling me about my past.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: May 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm I got Future Unfolding on PS4 today. Looking forward to giving it a go later.
I really want to get this but I'm going to hold out for a possible Switch release. Interested to hear your thoughts though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: May 17th, 2017, 4:15 am
Alex79uk wrote: May 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm I got Future Unfolding on PS4 today. Looking forward to giving it a go later.
I really want to get this but I'm going to hold out for a possible Switch release. Interested to hear your thoughts though.
The overriding feeling is one of confusion. Played about 2 hours and only really seen one or two 'puzzles'. I now know which creatures are friends and which want to hurt me, but I don't know why. I'll keep playing. I want to get back to it, but I couldn't tell you why. I don't know what I am supposed to be doing, or who or where I am. It's very mysterious.

It works great on Vita remote play, by the way.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm still working through games-I-bought-in-sales. As such, this week I'm playing The Order 1886.

It is moribund.

I'm also dabbling in Out of the Park Baseball, and MLB The Show 17. Both excellent, though I only really play one mode in the latter.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can't hear the word moribund without thinking of Alan Partridge :lol:

(Around the one minute mark)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol:

Like Alan, I also had to look up moribund in the dictionary to make sure I had the right word.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Michiel K wrote: May 16th, 2017, 3:55 pm Can't you stay in the loading /practice screen till you press start?
Oh yeah thanks, you actually have to press the menu button to stay in the pratice mode otherwise it will quickly jump to the next stage, Im redoing all the levels on normal to get platinum now and boy is it annoying having to restart a lvl because of one non platinum ranking,
iNeedScissors67

Post by iNeedScissors67 »

I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda (PC). I'm a massive fan of the series, with Mass Effect 1 being my favorite game of all time with 17 complete playthroughs. I'm 75 hours into Andromeda and about to undergo the final mission. I'm really liking it, but it definitely has some more glaring flaws than the original trilogy. I dislike the open world exploration due to the unnecessary size of the maps, and I can't stand doing the additional tasks. I'm sticking mostly to side missions, planet specific missions, loyalty missions and the main quest. I've had a great experience with the game, but due to the amount of time it's taking to complete, I doubt I'll be playing it again. I have Persona 5 sitting on my shelf (another time sink, hooray!) and I really can't wait to dig into that.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Onto Chapter 4 of Injustice 2 and it is everything I hoped for.

They've improved the facial animations from the original as some of them were a bit weird although they still are not perfect. Being a DC fan I have to put my super nerd cap on and have a moan that they've made Damian Wayne an adult but understand that you couldn't release a game where you beat up a 13 year old :lol:

Story is a great continuation of the 1st and can't wait to get stuck back into it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

NBA Playgrounds (Switch):

A great laugh but for all the wrong reasons. I played about half an hour with my mate and we scored about ten baskets. Perhaps we were doing something wrong but shot after shot after shot fell painfully short. I'll give it another go on my own but this isn't what I was hoping for. Anyone got any tips or insights?

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch):

I'm not good at this game but it's great to play head to head against a real person, becomes much more intense and quite funny. For a puzzle game, the presentation is as appealing as it could possibly be, for me. I'm not really into anime etc but it's got a fun, consistent blend of graphics and music. Even stuff like the UI looks and feels just right. Very SEGA, in fact, at their best.

Super Bomberman R (Switch):

For all the grief this received, there are few games as fun in local multiplayer. We jumped on with some randos and had a great time cursing the screen, each other and the vagaries of fate, and blasting and punching and blocking as best we could. Great fun. At twenty quid, it would be absolutely essential and I do think they made a mistake there, it should be one of the biggest hits but it isn't.

Thumper (Switch):

Same old glorious, terrifying Thumper. It runs beautifully on the Switch and I prefer the Pro Controller D-pad to the DS4 one. That would be my tip, by the way. Use the D-pad. One day I will do a truly perfect run of Stage 1. I've come close on several occasions and having it on the go is going to give me much more opportunity to try it.

Nier: Automata (PS4):

I have put in about eight hours now and while I adore the music and much of the aesthetic, the gameplay is very dull compared to, say, Bayonetta. I like the idea of the robot gun thing but it means that I almost never have any melee combat because every enemy is dead by the time I catch up to them. I'm already bored by the fetch quests, too, and I find the map and open world to be confusing, repetitive and plagued by dull recurring environments. Some areas are beautiful, absolutely stunning, but I seem to spend so much running round dilapidated concrete blocks. I really want to persist to find out what is supposedly so special but the actual moment to moment gameplay is honestly boring the tits off me. I might look up a guide just to get me through the first run.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Technomancer

A bit janky, slightly off-kilter dialogue, huge exposition dumps, a confusing UI....but it's not bad at all. I'm starting to think there's a pretty good RPG in there.

The player is dropped into a situation they know nothing about, as a kind of police-wizard for an authoritarian state. This is then gradually elaborated upon through dialogue and doing missions for the state. While these missions aren't amazing, they (and a bit of environmental storytelling) do seem to be gradually drawing me in to the story. Interested to see where it goes.