Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Chopper »

My gaming has ground to a halt the last couple of weeks and this shallow depression I'm standing in is looking suspiciously like a gaming rut.

I could go the easy route and blame RDR2. :D I've logged on twice in the last two weeks, and both times I just rode my horse around uncovering the map. Nothing else. I must say, the environment is absolutely amazing; everything about it is stunning, from the grass growing on the roofs of abandoned farmhouses, to the transition between the snows and the plains. The geography of the place is fantastic. But I would have traded it this morning if I had remembered to take it with me shopping. *Puts hand on chin, looks out window pensively* I still might.

But in reality it's not RDR2's fault - my queued games are all interminable RPGs or open-ended sports games and I have no appetite to start them up.

I was considering Hollow Knight until I saw Alex's video of that boss fight. No thanks :)

I think the answer might be a return to *gasp* PSVR. That FROM Software game is out...I wonder if Smyths have it for trade in...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: November 10th, 2018, 12:25 pm
But in reality it's not RDR2's fault - my queued games are all interminable RPGs or open-ended sports games and I have no appetite to start them up.
I had that problem a while back and have fallen into a one long game, two short games rule with a sports game in the background (not to mention a handheld game for the odd train journey).

It’s helped as the short games feel like a breath of fresh air. I get fatigue inevitably with the longer RPGs but it’s not nearly as pronounced. I dread to think what Josh, Leah and co will feel like by years end.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Good advice, thanks! I think I'm thinking along the same lines as you, it's just that the only short games I have left are VR games. I did not play any VR games last night, but I did download 11-11: Memories Retold (6 hours apparently) so that's progress.

God yes, that Podcast list must be incredibly challenging this year with all the massive RPGs. :cry: If we see 100% shorter games on next year's list, we'll know what's up.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Even the “shorter games” had Horizon and Far Cry 2 amongst their number. Was a pretty mammoth list and with the rest of final fantasy to come next year I suspect they will stagger it a bit more maybe.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We probably did bite off a little more than we could chew this year, certainly I did anyway.

We have an even larger selection of contributors/panellists to pick from next year though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've started a career on SWOS and getting roundly trounced every match. I don't remember being this shit but I can feel my inner 13-yo skills coming back, bit by bit.

Otherwise, Diablo 3 is really really good fun. I suddenly realised when playing this morning that I was in terrible pain because I needed a wee. Still managed one more Rift...one more Rift, one more Rift.

Also picked up Astebreed on the Switch. Seems an excellent port, runs very nicely. Not totally convinced by it all, though. Seems extremely busy and flashy and I don't know when I'm playing well or not. I'll give it a good go, though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: November 10th, 2018, 12:25 pm I was considering Hollow Knight until I saw Alex's video of that boss fight. No thanks :)
Haha give it a try anyway! That's definitely the hardest boss from all accounts. Most of them are one on one. There are a couple of other multi bosses I've encountered so far, but none (other than the one in the video) have caused more than an hour or so of delay in progress. Its a great game. Some of the platforming is insane, too.

(the hidden grub in Crystal Peak, anyone?)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I got Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch with the drum but am actually feeling too self-conscious to play it regularly. The drum needs a fairly strong hit to register and between that noise and increasing the volume on the tv to hear the songs, I would cause quite the cacophony in my apartment building. I quite like playing in handheld mode with the touch drum though.

I'm playing Yoku's Island Express on my commute. Its pleasing if not all that engrossing gameplay-wise. Good for the commute, not sure I'd stick with it on a tv screen.

Night in the Woods is kinda on the backburner. I decided after starting it that it didn't suit the commute. I'll pick it up more now that I've finished Valkyria 4. I am going back to A rank the missions in that though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 11th, 2018, 9:21 am We probably did bite off a little more than we could chew this year, certainly I did anyway.
I often ponder this, as the schedule is always laden with big big games.

Last year with the Zelda focus and this year with the Final Fantasy ones, the commitment to the cause is stella.

I always try and play along with games that interest me but even that comes under threat from new releases, surprise games, or longer than expected play-throughs of other non-scheduled games.

It would be forgiven if the line between passion and chore would occasionally blur.

I’ve mentioned this to Leon previously off air when we were recording a SoP once but the dedication, effort and passion that goes into this whole set-up, from the whole team shouldn’t be underestimated and greatly appreciated.

It’s always on time and it’s always a top quality product.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks Nick. Wasn’t fishing for the compliment but we’ll take it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I put a couple of hours in to Shenmue 2 this morning. So far, it seems a huge improvement on the first game.

Also listening to the Shenmue 1 C&R episode with fresh ears after finishing the game. Can't argue with anything Leon said, but also can't help feeling something towards a weird affection for the game. And for the record, I really enjoyed the forklift work!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

All this delusional talk about DriveClub being an arcade racer recently has motivated me to finally put some time into Redout. The game is definitely a bit rough around the edges and the production values are rather underwhelming at times, but it certainly gets the fundamentals right. The driving engine is very solid, the tracks are varied, and I appreciate the fact that it's a lot less focused on weaponry than Wipeout. Very enjoyable so far.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I think I've exhausted my time with Rdr2. Im enjoying the story but im at a point now thats all im doing and im finding it a bit samey, gameplay wise.

Think i need to slow it down again but i often get swept up in the drama that i forget theres an open world to explore... but one im not finding overly fun

The amount of effort is evident in this game but im just finding its taken a step too far i to realism and not being a entertaining videogame for me.

Think ill trade it in for Smash Bros Ultimate come december. Its good, its just not for me anymore. It demands long play sessions but reallly i can only play in the evening when im knackered and the game is so slow that i often drift off to sleep or almost asleep, at least
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Similar thoughts, though I'll keep hold and give it time.

Having started it over one very quiet weekend and loved the first ten hours or so, I then went away for a few days and came back to a really full on work situation and it's...not quite what I fancy at the moment. I'm not getting much gaming time til after 9pm at the moment and I normally go to bed by ten because I'm up early, etc. I tend not to fancy playing something so contemplative when I'm just grabbing an hour here or there. I'd rather do a Rift in Diablo 3 and then a couple of Psyvariar runs and then ten minutes winding down with Forza Horizon 4 in a snowstorm to get me ready for my cozy bed.

That said, last night I played Tetris Effect with headphones for about two hours and then couldn't sleep til about half one because I was over stimulated and was having mild visual hallucinations. Probably better off with Red Dead tonight.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Went back to MGS5 cause I didn’t finish it and figured I probably should. Except the mission I’m on is a boss fight and I couldn’t remember the controls, heh.

Went back to doing side ops to refresh myself how to actually play the game, and I’ll go back at the missions again this evening.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: November 13th, 2018, 10:10 am That said, last night I played Tetris Effect with headphones for about two hours and then couldn't sleep til about half one because I was over stimulated and was having mild visual hallucinations. Probably better off with Red Dead tonight.
That's funny, a little bird told me it is easily one of the greatest games of the year. :P
The demo definitely made me lust for more, but the price is a bit too steep for my liking. Very tempted, though...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I genuinely think it's my GOTY at this point! Stunning. I've played a hell of a lot of great games in 2018 but this is right right up there with Psyvariar, MHGU, Ikaruga and DBFZ. I mean, it's basically between this and Psyvariar, in fact. Both are total dopamine fountains.

I would really love to borrow a PSVR for a couple of days just to see if it's worth the investment. Like, I know it isn't but then...hhhnnnggghhh.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: November 13th, 2018, 11:55 am I would really love to borrow a PSVR for a couple of days just to see if it's worth the investment. Like, I know it isn't but then...hhhnnnggghhh.
Why not organise a playdate with Chopper instead? I hear the Irish countryside is lovely this time of year. :P

Seriously, these impressions are great to read. Guess my little bird wasn't lying, then. And bring on Psyvariar already!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha. Or we could have a C&R meet up at Bury Arcade Club? Even better! (and literally minutes down the road from me now).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm still nibbling away at Valkyria Chronicles. The best thing I can say is that this game definitely gets better as I get more accustomed to its internal logic over time. Interesting story. Great mission design. Very engaging. Quite the enjoyable contrast to the plethora of modern AAA games that are seemingly designed around the players burning themselves out halfway through, too. (*cough* RDR2 *cough*) I'll have more to say when I'm done, but I'm certainly glad the podcast has inspired me to finally play it.

Simon, have you played this one? I couldn't help but notice its absence in your otherwise incredibly thorough yearly slate.