Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really enjoying The Journey in FIFA 17. Something must be right, because I felt genuine resentment towards the manager for not picking me in the starting XI after I came on at half time and scored two goals with an assist! On loan to Newcastle now and killing it. Perhaps I ought to change the difficulty from amateur haha.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just started Dark Souls Remastered. What a terrible game. Graphics are hideous, there's no GPS, and the story makes no sense. NPCs are all about the half-baked Poetry instead of the holy Dialogue Tree. I died three times in a row in the Catacombs, which means the combat is also trash. Oh, and there's no pause button. What loser thought that would be a good idea? Screw this. I'm thinking of going to GameStop on Monday and exchanging it for a real man's RPG like Skyrim in which I can put buckets on people's heads, spam quick attacks on goons, have the entire universe revolve around my ill-informed political opinions, pork despondent townsfolk and generally feel like a tough guy for a while.
Spoiler: show
Just fucking around, it's as great as ever. I am rusty as hell, though. Took me a dozen tries just to go grab the Great Scythe. Age has slowed me down one bit! :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:

You actually had me for a second then!

EDIT: Also, Ive spent over 100 hours with that game and never found the Great Scythe. It looks like a great dex weapon, which is what I tend to build around usually. I will be seeking that out next play though!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: June 24th, 2018, 10:15 am Also, Ive spent over 100 hours with that game and never found the Great Scythe. It looks like a great dex weapon, which is what I tend to build around usually. I will be seeking that out next play though!
Here you go, my dear:

One of the best DEX weapons in the game. Superb crowd control. Have fun!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Any thoughts on Mario Tennis? I run a youth program, we have a Switch with Mario Kart, Rocket League, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Pokken Tournament. Is it worth the $60 for Aces? Especially for local multiplayer?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's most fun in local multiplayer and while there is a 'just tennis' mode, the normal mode has quite a lot of depth and complexity, quite a high barrier of entry compared to MK8D, more like ARMS.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve been playing loads of Mario Tennis Aces online tournaments. How come everyone else (literally!) is better than me???

Also been playing Fallout Shelter on the Switch. Was enjoying it, seemed to be doing pretty well after quite a few hours, then every room came under attack from fires, rats, raiders, etc, one after the other; everyone was dead within minutes and I deleted it in disgust! In happier news, the all new original arcade version of Donkey Kong is fantastic, and I’m enjoying jumping in and out of Super Sidekicks 3 on the Switch too. Looking forward to Lumines on there this week too!

Did try The Crew 2 beta on PS4 but like the first one’s beta, it just confirmed it’s not for me. And I finally got hold of a NES Mini Classic. Only played Bubble Bobble so far but seems like a good investment!
Suits

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: June 24th, 2018, 9:46 pm I’ve been playing loads of Mario Tennis Aces online tournaments. How come everyone else (literally!) is better than me???
I've not dipped into online mode yet, my thoughts is that I'll get through the story mode first and learn the ropes there before I get into that.

I've got a friend coming to stay soon, so we're going to get into online, couch co-op hopefully 8-) .

I've also got nicely back into Fallout 4 again, not having played it since hitting it hard immediately after launch and falling away from it - I'm now very much enjoying it.

I think the combination of patches and the additional grunt of the Xbox X are making the performance much better.

Wipeout Omega on the PS4 is a great game, it looks incredible and performs admirably on the PS4P. I'm slowly working my way through that as and when I fancy it. It's also a great showcase for PSVR.

Finally I've been spending time with Gran Tourismo Sport, I was a GT fan before I was a Forza fan and I must admit I'm enjoying being back inthe experience which is GT. I spent a good while last night reading the history folder of Nissan last night and liked the touch where it included global events on the timeline to give perspective. The driving is solid too, I do miss the paddles on the Xbox Elite controller and having to use the face buttons to shift feels old school but the driving feedback is enjoyable and I was soon hot lapping and in the groove.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Downloaded a game to my mobile phone called World Soccer King on my break today. Its quite fun! Like a version of Subbuteo on your phone, nice graphics and you get new players in card packs like FIFA ultimate team. Worth a look, it's free.
Bane76

Post by Bane76 »

Just got my Wii to play really old games, am playing Super Mario Allstars for the SNES...

https://gamers.media/super-mario-all-st ... 1526695350

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So two things, first I started DMC4 special edition and I was reminded that Im not that big of a fan of Nero's combat style. I like the devil bringer but I never really got on with the Red Queen and how best to charge it also table hopper while better still suffers from the problem that you have to lock-on and then dodge instead of just hitting a button and for a precision dodge such as this it makes it trick to pull off, for me at least. Still looking foward to getting back into Dante and playing as Vergil, Lady and Trish!

Second I finnaly followed Ksub advice and started Path of Radiance on emulator, Im still very much at the start but so far it sure does feel like Fire Emblem which does reminds me of a bunch of things I dont like about Fire Emblem in general like how wea´´pons have durability or how spears have the same range as swords, how magic and healing work and also I dont wanna be too harsh but I find the character designs here very plain especially in comparison to awakening and what I've seen from Fates and sure you could argue that its because those games are going for waifu bait, and I wouldnt dispute that, but regardless of that I think that the designs in the more modern games are alot more memorable and interesting.
All that being said still enjoying it and its funny seeing a puny Ike especially after having seen his buff design on Smash bros and such.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho's playing PoR? Yay! :P

...Oh no, he's already hating on it! :(

Conflicting emotions. Must be payback for RE7 or something.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I picked up Mass Effect: Andromeda when it was 7.99 in the last PSN sale, so I'm giving it a go.

There was a moment near the start where I was thinking, this has incredible potential, but unfortunately the game is steadily getting buried under busywork and the accumulation of a phenomenal amount of 'rewards'/points to fill up various meters. There are minerals, resources, blueprints and XP to gather. Scanning stuff fills up a meter. There are also Viability Points (for each planet you land on, I think), three types of Research Points (Milky Way, Heleus and Remnant) and just before I logged off, I got a Cryo Pod Point, whatever that is.

These are just the ones I've noticed from them popping up on screen; I haven't delved into crafting or anything like that, but that looks like it might take a bit of study too. There are loads of different ammo types, and all weapons can be modded. The menus are pretty labyrinthine and it's all a bit offputting. I'm hoping if I just ignore all that, it'll turn into a decent game.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

C'mon Im not hating on it, yet ,I just have my issues with the FE formula in general but if that didnt stop from enjoying awakening I doubt it will keep me from enjoying this one ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It's all good mate, I'm just messing with you! :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

With the Steam sale going on I went a bit mad getting DLC for various games that's normally a bit too pricy for my liking... among which the Rev 2 upgrade for Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator -. I wanted to take old fav Baiken (one of my favouritest character designs in all of fighting games) for a short spin in arcade mode, went on an absolute tear with her and couldn't stop playing till I saw the credits roll. This game is such an audiovisualmechanical rush, why am I not playing it more?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know, right? Too many damn games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started The Banner Saga on my phone. It's ok. Not sure if I really like it or not yet.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 29th, 2018, 8:37 am I know, right? Too many damn games.
Troof.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alien: Hi, I'm Zzyzzx, leader of the scholar faction. We believe in reincarnation.
Ryder: Ryder, Initiative forces. I'm looking for a lost monolith.
Alien: That knowledge has been lost. The only one who might know has been dead for 500 years.
Alien: But wait, if we could find an ancestral heirloom, we could use it to tap the folk memory of one of her descendants. Did I mention we believe in reincarnation?
Ryder: Okaaay...
Alien: Could you go find the heirloom? It's our best and only chance.
Ryder: :x