Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
deacon05oc

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by deacon05oc » April 2nd, 2018, 12:07 am

I’m playing Skyrim on Switch and I finally see what kept me from advancing in the past when I played on 360 and PS4. I always approached the game the same as a Dragon Age or Mass Effect. This time, I just approached it as living in the world as opposed to a story based game. I just travel and see what happens.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » April 2nd, 2018, 1:33 pm

Like Deacon above, I'm also just starting Skyrim, though I'm on the PC with the original game (and a few mods to make it pretty). Like what I've seen in the first few hours but having to hope the game keeps my attention without much direction.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 2nd, 2018, 5:12 pm

deacon05oc wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 12:07 am
I just travel and see what happens.
This, is the best way to play the Elder Scrolls games, for me anyway.

I RP them a lot too, which is silly but helps me enjoy them a whole lot more.

My most recent, fulfilling, playthrough was a no weapons, Mage-thief.

I approach the Fallout games in the same way too.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 2nd, 2018, 5:27 pm

I’ve finished but still continue to play Kirby All Star Allies in the Switch, it’s just so charming and effortless to play.

It also (possibly because it’s void of any real challenge) suits the instant pick up and play from wake of the Switch.

I finished the actual story in about 7 hours to show 60% complete, since then I’ve been doing the moping up associated with most Nintendo games and also messing with the bonus games to unlock further puzzle pieces for the picture pieces - much like the very cool StreetPass games of the old 3DS system.

I’m currently at 82% or so and ran out of charge, so I’m having a break :lol: .

I appreciate the power that circumstance, or current attitude can have when enjoying or not enjoying games but I must admit, I’m very much enjoying my time with Kirby and I feel I will reflect on this game fondly once my time with it is done.

£50 game this is not (or maybe rather shouldn’t be) and I’d not recommend anyone rush out and pick this up but it’s certainly a charming little battery drainer.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » April 3rd, 2018, 7:17 am

Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 3rd, 2018, 10:18 am

kintaris wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 7:17 am
Goodness me, no one on this forum or on Twitter is helping me resist repurchasing Skyrim for the fourth time.
Well, if the scales have not fallen from your eyes by now, I am afraid there is nothing anyone can do :)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 3rd, 2018, 1:36 pm

kintaris wrote:
Hm... I suggest listening to the one and only person who will always have your best interests in mind:
kintaris wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 6:34 am
I still have a LOT of all timers to experience. Happily each year I'm addressing that a little more and the amount of unplayed gems gets a little less embarassing, but still. The Final Fantasies and Personas, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Super Mario Galaxy... these are just a few that I noted immediately. Must play more games!
;)

kintaris

Post by kintaris » April 3rd, 2018, 6:16 pm

Hahaha, that guy is always on my case!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 4th, 2018, 5:31 am

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 4th, 2018, 9:57 am

I guess it's unlikely the other 58547 UK players are bots this time ;)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 4th, 2018, 10:04 am

Savage! :lol:

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 4th, 2018, 9:45 pm

I finally found the time to sit down and play the Playstation 4 version of Batman: Arkham Knight. It was a late in the evening, but hey, I could play a little before bed, right?

After finally getting to the title screen, I selected a new save file, and selected New Game. Boy, can't wait to go on an amazing adventure as the caped crusader! What adventures await me this time?

The adventure that I was faced with was a screen telling me to wait, as the game is installing game data. What a twist! :o This, I have to say, is a very brave narrative decision, and I salute WB, DC and Rocksteady for having the balls to do that.

The status bar moved ever so slowly across the screen... what tension! Will it make it to 100%? Don't worry guys... no spoilers! ;)

Of course, it was getting late, and I gotta work the next day, so I retired for the evening and went to bed.

My impressions so far: the mood music that was playing in the background as the game data installed... it really helped build tension. The fonts used to express that game data was being installed - legible, clear language - 5 stars. And the faint model of Batman in the background, adjusting his gloves and other parts of his outfit, really made me feel like playing a video game where you play as Batman - so bravo, mission accomplished.

I really look forward to the next part of this adventure - firmware update! It's more than 5 gig, so I can only image what lies ahead! :P

Batman: Arkham Knight - best waiting room game ever? Discuss.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 4th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Hihihi, and the best part is that there are an additional 25+ Gb of (individually selectable) data to download for those entitled weirdos who want to have the full experience and bought the GOTY version! :lol:

DOOM is also really cute in that regard. Mandatory 30+ Gb update file for the map creator mode, whether you have any interest in playing it or not. Don't have a particularly powerful internet connection due to budget restrictions or your country of residence? Screw you, and back to the Dark Ages with you! I bet you drive a bike to work too, loser!

Honestly, it's best to always install / download modern games the day before one actually plans on playing them. Which is completely moronic, of course.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 9:56 pm
I bet you drive a bike to work too, loser!
Uh... I ride a donkey, thank you very much! :D

Just had a sound system installed (i.e. tied to with rope). The bass upsets his tummy somewhat. :(

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 4th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm
Uh... I ride a donkey, thank you very much! :D

Just had a sound system installed (i.e. tied to with rope). The bass upsets his tummy somewhat. :(
Found just the thing:

Seriously, it's all about fossil fuels and twitter beefs and songs about bodily functions now.
Get with the program, gramps!

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 4th, 2018, 10:26 pm

You kids!

Fine... I'll get the firmware update for my donkey! Twisted my arm!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » April 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm

kintaris wrote:
Ha I am the same. Bought it launch on 360 and the special edition and VR on PS4 but kind of feel I need it on Switch too :D

So I have put some serious time into Mario and Rabbids and feel like it has run its course. Got up to 3-5 and I am bored now so getting rid. I have enjoyed it and it has made me want to give X Com 2 a try but it has got to the stage where the enemies have gone from fun to work around to annoying.

Approaching the end of COD WWII and it is alright cannot say more than that really. Never played COD online though I might give it a go (bad idea)

Most of my time has been in Fortnite as it has its hooks in me again. I started one of the timed game modes (snipers only) and in the first game got only my 2nd only Victory Royale. This has been replaced with rocket launchers only which really is fun as guided missiles fly around the course. I got killed as someone had figured out I was firing mine from the back of a lorry :D

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 5th, 2018, 10:25 pm

There are actually games I've been playing lately, not just waiting for game data to install, and one of the many is 1992's The Great Ragtime Show aka Boogie Wings (Data East - JAMMA). After two months of tracking down I managed to pick up a PCB with original flyers and manual - super happy about that!

Hardcore 101 do a pretty good job of explaining what the game is, and the background of this obscurity, so I won't bother repeating that.

I will say that it is definitely a game overflowing with charming little details, perhaps to the point that it can get a little chaotic on screen! After completely the opening level you are treated to level select screen, Megaman-style, and if you happen to come across this game in the wild (I mean, it's not completey impossible) I would say skip Detroit Rock City, and go for any other level.

Of course, the appeal of acquiring this game is that it was never ported to anything, not even a compilation/collection, so it is rare. However, as of the date of this posting, there is a PCB available at Mak Japan in Akihabara for ¥‎48,000 (look for グレイトラグタイムショー(海) under DataEast), which may seem like a lot, but considering the rarity of the game, it's actually pretty cheap... believe me! :oops: I've gotten PCB's from Mak Japan before, while I was there and also via Akishop, so I can attest to quality of the service, and of the products.

Which leaves the only other choice as MAME. I think it's worth a play, and MAME is free after all. Can't really go wrong.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » April 6th, 2018, 8:11 am

God, I am still mired in Out of the Park Baseball. I have three concurrent games on the go now.

Because of that, I had abandoned Dead Space. I went back the other day and have somehow got myself into a situation where I have no ammo, no health, and no stasis packs etc. It will take some gritting of teeth to pull out of this.

To relax, I tried Ultrawings on PSVR, which is a basic flight sim, but *surprise* in VR! It is quite pleasant, not much to it so far.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 6th, 2018, 8:44 am

As a fan of the series who has not yet played 5, I warmed up by trying MGS: Ground Zeroes last night.

I just found it really difficult! I couldn't seem to do anything without getting spotted. I've often said I don't enjoy stealth games (I genuinely couldn't tell you why I love MGS so much), they make me real life anxious and I panic about getting spotted which is ridiculous because its just a game, but it's a genre I find myself getting more deeply immersed with than any other, on the rare occasion I play them. But yeah, GZ just seems like an impossible task to me. I literally keep getting spotted within 5 minutes of play!

Any tips!? It seems much harder than any other MGS game I've played...