The Monster Hunter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: The Monster Hunter thread

Post by Scrustle »

So you reach G-rank when you get to HR6? I guess I'm not as far away as I thought then.

Speaking of ranks, the other day I came across someone online who broke the record for highest rank I've ever seen. Six-hundred and six. How do you even do that!? Does that person play games in some kind of time vortex or something?
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Once you hit HR6 the G-rank stuff opens up. I've not actually tried it yet, the urgent quest to get to HR6 is really difficult. Going off how it usually works with the urgent quest normally being the easiest out of the next rank, I'm sort of fearing what's to come. Getting that first set of G-rank armour might be a pretty tough ask.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Anyone else playing monster hunter these days? I'm Getting into it now and if anyone wants to add me on Nintendo Network my ID is Hierony.
I'm Just HR2 at the minute and i want to try hunting with a group
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I've been away from it for a while but I'd be up for a wee team-up at some point. I play Hunting Horn, currently HR5 but have only really played single player, so it'd be great to get some experience in more of a supporting role and try out some less attack-focused gear. Feel free to add me, I'm PressEscToExit on there.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Hunting horn sounds really useful, you can heal the group from afar etc, yeah? That would come in handy when playing with beginners and stuff.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Yeah, although healing is a pretty minor part of it, it's more about buffing stats/resistances and minimising the effects of certain types of enemy attacks. It does pretty decent damage, doesn't need much maintenance, has better mobility than most of the other heavy weapons and it's got a really satisfying, meaty swing to it. Love it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I really want to get a party together to do some hunting, but every time I'm playing it everyone else on my friends list (which is exclusively people from these forums anyway) seem to be offline. I think we should organise some time for us to all get together and go on some hunts.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I concur. If we organised a time it would work well. I need rathian and rathalos plates. I've killed about 4 of each and havent got one
Just unlocked the high rank stuff... Holy moly, beasts I used to be able to take down in 15 minutes are kicking my ass now, every monster is a buffed up version of the normal ones
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

When is everyone free then? I'm okay for pretty much any week night as long as I've got a bit of notice.

Those plates are pretty rare drops from low tier Raths, you should be able to get what you need once you've taken down some of their big brothers and sisters. We can go straight after some high Raths if you like, or just tackle whatever's next in your quest list if you'd rather work your way up to it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm free most nights too. Not sure about anyone else though. But if we just talk about organising something instead of actually doing it, nothing will get done. Soo... Friday nights? At say, 8pm? Or perhaps Thursday instead since people might be doing stuff on Friday nights.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Yeah, I'm up for either Thursday or Friday, they both work.
Everyone ok with doing some HR3 stuff? I've only just ranked up to it, tried to do the Mud Brothers quest (2 Barroths) with some random people, and 3 times in a row we failed it. We had always killed 1 of them and were finishing the other one off when someone collapsed and we had to abandon... I'm determined to get them!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Aye I'm fine with HR3. Can we do this Thursday at 8pm then?

I'll check that I'm all stocked up and have a bit of a run around to refamiliarise myself with controls etc beforehand. If you have specific targets in mind it might be worth posting on here so we can do a bit of advance tinkering if necessary. This should be fun :D dying to murder something big and ugly
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Thursday at 8 it is. In case I don't already have some of you on my friends list, my ID is Scrustle. I think it would be best if I didn't host the lobby though. For some reason I don't have much luck hosting lobbies. Seems like every time I do, everyone lags out 5 minutes after starting a hunt.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I could do this Thursday at 8, but I have to leave at around half 9 :(
(Sorry, I know I said Thursday was fine, but something came up)

If we started it slightly earlier on Thursday or we could postpone it to Friday if possible?
If not I'm fine with Thursday anyway, but I would only be able to play for a limited time. Just have to be really efficient with our hunting!

In terms of monsters, i'd like to kill a Nibelsnarf. Need some stuff for a new greatsword.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

This Friday is a bit of a problem for me but I can probably be ready from about 6.30 onwards on Thursday. If we decide to make it a regular thing I'm fine with Fridays in general, though.

Nibelsnarf it is. (Best enemy name ever)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

One thing I really like about the Nibelsnarf is the sound design. I love the sound of its cries. It sounds almost musical. I love inventive audio design like that. Sounds natural, but not like anything you would necessarily expect. Really adds character to the creature.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just dropping in to say how cool it is to see CaR people getting together via the forum to play awesome games like Monster Hunter. Exactly the sort of thing we had in mind when we set the place up.
Hope the party hunts well and becomes a regular thing! :D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Alright, so I thought I would go ahead and post some info here about the room for tonight, since it seems like there aren't really many options to communicate stuff like this actually on the Wii U.

The room is going to be in the Free F world, and in Lobby 10. The room will be called "C&R", and the password will be 2580.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

If you're worried about the lobby crapping out, I don't mind hosting under those same details? I can have it set up for 6.40
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Absolutely stellar work. Hopefully our collective internet connections will hold up for the duration of the hunt.

I'm going to be offering my skills as a HR3 Greatsword user. I have experience fighting large Bird Wyverns, fanged beasts, and have even bested the mighty lagiacrus.
To best combat the grotesque Nibelsnarf, I'll be bringing a selection of hunting instruments, such as barrel bomb L's and sonic bombs. I will also bring a variety of small horns, even though they are a bit shit, in my experience.
If you wing a sonic bomb at the nobelsnarfs mouth while it does his wind vortex attack, he becomes disoriented and stunned for a long time, allowing us to "go buck wild" on his face as he wriggles helplessly on the sands.

.... Uh yeah, so what time were you thinking of setting up the lobby?

Edit: 6:40. Cool