Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jerome McI

Re: Your Top 50 Games of All Time Lists

Post by Jerome McI »

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Also fighting the urge to dig deeper into some of the choices like Todinho going with Jak 2:Renegade or GSMason going with Super Monkey Ball 2 ;)
Well I went with jak 2 because he's the superior game of that franchise and you all know it!Seriously though I probably like it more from nostalgia then anything else it was unlike most people I didnt play jak 1 first,so 2 was my first entry so all the changues that might have upset people didnt bother me,funny thing was when I went to play 1 I didnt like it a first because was very different from 2,but when it comes to funny dialogue in this type of game I still think jak 2 has one of the best out there,oh it was also the first sandbox game I managed to finnish since I didnt like gta and such.

@Jerome McI
i dont want to question your list or taste good sir especially since you also remember Rogue galaxy but I gotta ask how do you put the abomination that is Dragon Age 2 in there but dont include the masterpiece of Dragon Age: Origins?
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I'm defo going to make my own list but for now I'm only going to say I'm surprised that there has not been a mention of MDK, Conker or WWF No Mercy!!!

Also not surprised it's not popped up but will on my one is School Daze in the Specy!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I had added almost 200 games to a Giant Bomb list with a view to paring it down to 50 when it crashed on me and wouldn't save.
Gah!
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Bakers_12 wrote:I'm defo going to make my own list but for now I'm only going to say I'm surprised that there has not been a mention of MDK, Conker or WWF No Mercy!!!

Also not surprised it's not popped up but will on my one is School Daze in the Specy!
Damn, totally forgot School Daze. Probably my favourite spectrum game.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Don't know if I'm being snobby but didn't put any speccy games in. That's probably a separate list in its own.
James

Post by James »

DomsBeard wrote:Don't know if I'm being snobby but didn't put any speccy games in. That's probably a separate list in its own.
I have incredibly fond memories of playing the Spectrum, but very few are specific to any individual games. I can't remember what games we had, or which were my favourites. I do remember playing Bullseye with the light gun, but I'm not putting that on my list! :oops:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Robocop, Chase HQ, Spellbound and my favourite ever game was one where you played a wizard and you had to get herbs together before a rival wizard and cast spells to kill him before he kills you. Going to Google to try find the name.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Feud! That's the one!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Feud was my number two game. Tough call between that and Kick Off for number one, but Kick Off won out as I never kept notebooks full of stats for Feud! May seem bizarre now, but the graphical environment in Feud completely captivated me, and I've have moved into that village given half a chance, (minimal) colour clash and all!

Now thinking that Speccy Enduro Racer, Robocop and Hypef Sports should have been on my list too. We definitely need a Spectrum Top 50!
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

ratsoalbion wrote:I had added almost 200 games to a Giant Bomb list with a view to paring it down to 50 when it crashed on me and wouldn't save.
Gah!
Yeah it's a little flaky, I found just adding one or two games at a time and then saving fix the problem.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

It's great to see so much love for some classic football games. International Superstar Soccer 64/98 FTW :)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Todinho wrote:
@Jerome McI
i dont want to question your list or taste good sir especially since you also remember Rogue galaxy but I gotta ask how do you put the abomination that is Dragon Age 2 in there but dont include the masterpiece of Dragon Age: Origins?
My opinion: Dragon Age 2 isn't an abomination. It's flawed, but the characters and storyline are superior to Origin's.
Jerome McI

Post by Jerome McI »

Combine Hunter wrote:
Todinho wrote:
@Jerome McI
My opinion: Dragon Age 2 isn't an abomination. It's flawed, but the characters and storyline are superior to Origin's.
I just personally enjoyed it more, Origins combat didn't suit my taste. As for narrative, I found the more personal orientated story of Hawke told by Varric felt more engaging to me. I still like Origins, I did everything possible in my first playthrough but it's a game I have difficulties going back to.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haven't seen it on anyone's list, but anyone remember Tai-Pan? I had it on the Amstrad, it's definitely in my top 10.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I just personally enjoyed it more, Origins combat didn't suit my taste. As for narrative, I found the more personal orientated story of Hawke told by Varric felt more engaging to me. I still like Origins, I did everything possible in my first playthrough but it's a game I have difficulties going back to.
Fair enough,I liked the first third of DA2 until the combat started to really annoy me,the story i think is good in concept but I honestly think it just falls apart in the halfway part the companions are still great but that for me is just not enough to save that game.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

Here's my top 50 from A-Z, was fun to think back through all the computers, consoles and arcade visits I've had through the years
Spoiler: show
Bayonetta (2010)
Bucky o Hare (1993)
Bulletstorm (2011)
Counter Strike (2000)
Dark Souls (2011)
Darkwing Duck (1992)
Dishonoured (2012)
Ducktales (1989)
Fiendish Freddie's Big O Top Fun (1990)
Flimbo's Quest (1990)
FIFA 13 (2012)
Grandia 2 (2001)
Half Life (1999)
Half Life 2 (2004)
International Soccer (1983)
Kirby's Adventure (1993)
Link's Awakening (1993)
Lylat Wars (1997)
Magicland Dizzy (1990)
Megaman 2 (1988)
Micro Machines (1991)
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (2010)
Ninja Gaiden (2004)
Quake 2 (1997)
Rayman Origins (2011)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
Shenmue (2000)
Sonic 2 (1992)
Soul Calibur (1999)
Spy vs Spy (1984)
Super Mario Bros 3 (1988)
Super Mario Kart (1992)
Super Mario World (1990)
Starwing (1993)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (1992)
Streets of Rage 2 (1992)
Super Tennis (1991)
Super Metroid (1994)
Super Mario Land 2 (1992)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
The Simpsons Arcade (1991)
Thief (1998)
Twilight Princess (2006)
Turtles in Time (1992)
Tie Fighter (1994)
Vanquish (2010)
Wipeout 2097 (1996)
Wind Jammers (1994)
Z (1996)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Fantastic list of games, my favourite part about it is that you've picked so many games from franchises I have, but alternate titles in those, I think the only one where that wasn't the case is Sonic (because Sonic 2 is the best.)
It also massively surprised me that as an environmental artist you didn't pick BioShock. I thought that was par for the course :P.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

NokkonWud wrote: It also massively surprised me that as an environmental artist you didn't pick BioShock. I thought that was par for the course :P.
I thought Bioshock looked wonderful, but it looks way better than it plays.
Think of all the 8/16 bit games of years ago that looked technically better than Mario 3, but nowhere near matched it for playability.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ryan_astley wrote:
NokkonWud wrote: It also massively surprised me that as an environmental artist you didn't pick BioShock. I thought that was par for the course :P.
I thought Bioshock looked wonderful, but it looks way better than it plays.
Think of all the 8/16 bit games of years ago that looked technically better than Mario 3, but nowhere near matched it for playability.
I love how BioShock plays too :P.
but yes, I agree with what you say regarding other games. I also picked Mario Bros. 3