Injustice: GAU and Injustice 2

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Injustice: GAU and Injustice 2

Post by James »

Continuing my trend of purchasing fighting games that I'll rarely, if ever play, I'm mulling over Injustice: Gods Among Us. I had this pegged for the Wii U, but the missing online setting options and potential lack of DLC is making me wary. So I thought I'd lay out the differences and ask which versions we'll all be getting, if any.

+ Has DLC
- The d-pad

PS3
+ Has DLC

Wii U
+ Off-TV play (has this been confirmed)
- DLC unconfirmed
- Online settings missing from the menu

I have fightsticks for 360 and Wii (no idea if the Tatsunoko stick will be compatible though), but not for PS3. As this is a NetherRealm Studios game it may be that a pad is better than a stick, and the 360 d-pad fills me with dread.

There are also costume unlocks from the iOS game that only apply to the 360/PS3 versions, which is worrying if only for the signalled intent towards Wii U DLC. :?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's worth getting one of those special edition 360 controllers with the decent d-pad. Not just for this game but generally.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Agree re the d pad. It's arriving from lovefilm tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. Low expectations though.
James

Post by James »

ratsoalbion wrote:It's worth getting one of those special edition 360 controllers with the decent d-pad. Not just for this game but generally.
I have one, but I still don't think it's as good as Nintendo or Sony's d-pads. Also, I only have one, so hypothetical couch multiplayer would leave me at a distinct advantage. On second thoughts... :twisted:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I would argue that the 360 SE d-pad is better for most fighting games than the Dual Shock's. it's certainly better for inputting fireball type motions etc. but I don't know the controls for Injustice. If it's like MK you may as well go for the PS3 version.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Fight pads are so cheap these days, just get one of those. Not as good as a joystick, but a fraction of the price.
James

Post by James »

I've been assured by Dan Bendon that the change in blocking input (Injustice uses a SF-style 'hold back to block') lends itself to a fightstick as much as a pad. With that and Leon's advice in mind I picked up a 360 copy. Gonna try to do a Quick Rinse, but I'm even worse at fighting games than I am at most other games. At least it'll be funny, in that frustrating/uncomfortable to watch kind of way! :oops:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

The Datel Arcade Pro..
http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/14 ... d:14394054
Compatible across all formats, and cheap (floating around the £30 mark on ebay an other internet places), you can worry about buying an expensive stick if you get serious about fighting games I guess, or modify this one with higher spec bits if your'e that way inclined..
I borrowed one of these from a friend at work and used it to play XBLA games on and always fancied getting into fighting games, but the learning curve seems rather steep! I'm not sure my button slapping style would be areciated :lol:
James

Post by James »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:The Datel Arcade Pro..
http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/14 ... d:14394054
Compatible across all formats, and cheap (floating around the £30 mark on ebay an other internet places), you can worry about buying an expensive stick if you get serious about fighting games I guess, or modify this one with higher spec bits if your'e that way inclined..
I borrowed one of these from a friend at work and used it to play XBLA games on.
It's a good call to go for something flexible and not bank-breaking to begin with. Mug that I am, I'm sitting here with a Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick for the Wii, Hori EX2 for 360 and a SFIV Tournament Edition 2 for the 360 also. I'm still crap at fighting games, but at least I didn't spend a fortune on fightsticks! :shock:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Finished the story mode last night. Really fun and if you're a fan of the DC Universe it's defiantly worth picking up even if you're not a beat em up fan.

It's a rental so I've sent it back but I'll definitely buy the GOTY edition once they've released all the DLC characters as there are one or two you see in the backgrounds that would be fun to play as.

Story mode is pure cheese and predictable but good all the same. Make sure you do the tutorials though as there is a lot to take in at the start.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

In something of a departure to my normal gaming, I've picked up Injustice this week. I'm a complete fighting game novice, but something about watching the gameplay looked accessible, and the dramatic 'supers' and scene changes looked really cool, so I did some research and decided to go for it because...

i) It doesn't use six button controls like SF, so I can at least play around with my normal pad to start with
ii) It doesn't have characters that people have been using for 20 years, so maybe I could even win a game online? (Haha, still pretty unlikely!)

So I started last night and so far it's great fun, the amount of single player stuff in there means I feel like I'm getting a big chunk of content without even worrying about online for now. I have to also mention the sound, it's really well done and gives the fights a huge sense of power.

I have found that I'm most comfortable using the analog stick for movement though. I guess it is because the Xbox pad doesn't have a good D-Pad. I know it isn't 'the right way to play', but I'm not sure if this is the start of a longterm fighting game run, so I'm a bit reluctant to invest in a stick.

I googled fight pads, but they seem to bit a bit scarce for Xbox 360. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone else use an analog stick, or is it like saying you play Battlefield with a Rock Band guitar?? :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The NetherRealm games are fine to play with a normal controller. A stick can still give you that little extra edge but I certainly wouldn't say it's worth the investment just for Injustice.

I say this is a committed arcade stick advocate (though a mediocre fighting game player): just focus on getting good with the normal pad :)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Cool, thanks. I'll stick (badomching) with what feels comfortable for now then and see how far I get.

It's come at a good time, because I was in a bit of a rut with what to play, so having all these new concepts to explore is really interesting. I'm going to focus on one character in practice mode once I've finished off the story, see if I can get to grips with the longer combos/juggling techniques.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

So. I've been trying to learn about combos, and how to extend them with juggling. Getting the idea of the concepts, and single player is okay, but online seems pretty tough. I didn't expect anything else really, as I've really never played a fighting game before. Current record is 60 matches and won 13 :| Yeah, yeah, I suck, but I'm starting to at least sometimes see where I could have done better!

What I struggle with most is when people go on the attack, I'm getting better at blocking, but if they are good they are still pushing me back, and I can't transition from this state of backing up and blocking and counter attack.

I'm playing Batman, so there is a parry, but timing that is really tough in a barrage of attacks. Is anyone still playing this? Can anyone lend any tips? Even just general fighting game tips are food for thought at the moment.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Really enjoying this myself, it's very much like the team's previous Mortal Kombat, which is no bad thing. Being more of a Marvel fan than a DC one, some of the characters I've no idea who they are (Shazam, Black Adam). Have to laugh at the idiot review on Amazon that says "they left out Spider-Man and Wolverine!". D'oh :lol:

As far as tips go, I always try to experiment with characters. Find one with moves you feel comfortable doing, and string a few special moves together. There's always going to be characters you don't quite gel with, for me it's Zangief in Street Fighter. If you can't use their moves regularly you're going to get battered.
Going into Challenges in Training modes can sometimes show you a good string of moves to get a combo going. But I find they also show you many that I know I'd never manage to carry off in a "real" fight.

Batman I've used the most in this so far, I also use the "smack people through walls" attack a fair bit.
James

Re: Injustice: GAU & Injustice 2

Post by James »

Thought I'd dust this old thread off! :D

Injustice 2 was kinda off my radar, what with my already not playing SFV and GGXrdR, expecting to not play Tekken 7 in a few weeks, and only a few months away from not playing Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite. But word of mouth (thank you, Andi Hamilton!) and some pretty decent reviews have put it firmly back in my sphere of interest. It doesn't hurt that it has an absolute bucket-load of single player stuff to do either, Capcom!

I believe a few on the forum are considering picking I2 up, or already have it (my copy arrives tomorrow, on UK release day), and that NetherRealm have popped a Guild system into the game. I'll take a look into setting something Cane And Rinse related up tomorrow, and keep everyone on here posted.

I can't imagine there'll be enough people on here playing to warrant a separate thread in the Community Gaming section, but we'll see. For now, I'll be on PS4 and my PSN ID is (as seen in my sig) CarterCommaJ. :geek:

Lemme know if you fancy kicking my arse up and down Metropolis and/or Gotham.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I dropped my PS4 digital preorder this morning, so should be downloaded by now. Don't think I'll stay up till midnight to play it, but I'll certainly be on it at the weekend.

I'm not a massive fan of the art style, but I like netherrealms approach to single player content and their last few games have been solid fun.
James

Post by James »

Flabyo wrote: May 18th, 2017, 5:32 pm I'm not a massive fan of the art style, but I like netherrealms approach to single player content and their last few games have been solid fun.
I slightly prefer the Injustice artstyle to the MK one (recent or otherwise), but neither are really to my tastes. When it comes to gameplay, I vastly prefer Injustice to MK, which is probably a weird distinction to make, but there are a couple of key differences (blocking, for example).

The single player side is really what's tempted me in; story mode, plus Multiverse and progression/unlocks/loot will keep me going even if I'm not in the mood for an online spanking. :oops:

;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My copy is arriving tomorrow. Think I've ordered it on ps4 (goes to Amazon to check) yeah ps4. Really looking forward to it.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

I haven't gone into story mode yet. Just enjoying the Multiverse. Even getting whupped in online isn't bothering me like it would. I think it's cause there's a decent bit of single player content.