Gaming as a parent / raising little gamers

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Gaming as a parent / raising little gamers

Post by Simonsloth »

That’s a nice idea. I suppose stardew valley would be of a similar vein and I like the idea of investing time in creating something rather than destroying everything like in most games. I haven’t played it so I don’t know if it’s appropriate
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yes, exactly. With so many games being based around "Destroy everything in sight!", I think it'd make sense to introduce kids to more... constructive alternatives. Journey and Flower would have been my other recommendations.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Just a little update. So Noah is 3 and a half now and I have another little one who is only 3 months old!

We are massively into the PlayStation 3 curio “wonderbook” with walking with dinosaurs a massive hit. It’s essentially a augmented reality book with move mini games but it ticks both our boxes.

We made our way through Yoshi’s “willy” world which I cannot recommend enough and have moved onto Kirby’s epic yarn which he isn’t as into sadly but I will persevere.

He’s also a huge fan of luigis mansion (to watch) which has the perfect balance between cute and spooky. We put the ghostbusters theme tune on repeat in the background and show the ghosts who’s boss!

Anyway I thought I would check in and would be interested in anyone else’s update/experiences/tips.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cute!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Simonsloth wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:29 pm Kirby’s epic yarn
That's the first game my kid son completed on his own.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Michiel K wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Simonsloth wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:29 pm Kirby’s epic yarn
That's the first game my kid son completed on his own.
How old was he? Bet it was a proud moment.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have been playing Mario Kart on Switch with my 2 year old. There seems to be an option where the Kart accelerates and steers round the course itself
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Simonsloth wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:53 pm How old was he? Bet it was a proud moment.
Definitely was. He was 6 or 7.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

After spending the entire month of July with SMW, Ivy (2) and I have moved onto the Castle of Illusion remake.

Playing a level a day works well for us and she loves seeing Mickey jump about. We also played Balloon Hunt in Super Mario Odyssey and she couldn’t believe all the characters she knows via toys/pictures etc were all running around having a good time
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ellis (3) is just obsessed with Batman at the moment, so spent an hour trying every single Batman game available on PS Now the other day. He can't actually use the controller properly, just bashes the buttons. Hasn't really got the hang of moving around with the stick yet.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

But like everything, they learn and one day it’ll click.

I’m keen on teaching ivy all walks of entertainment whilst I’m with her day in and day out. Nothing better than having a full arsenal of stuff to be interested in when they’re older.

It’s all about moderation though, and luckily we’ve been alright with letting stuff go by encouraging her to wave bye even if it is a digital Luigi on screen!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

dezm0nd wrote: September 20th, 2018, 9:01 pm Playing a level a day works well for us and she loves seeing Mickey jump about. We also played Balloon Hunt in Super Mario Odyssey and she couldn’t believe all the characters she knows via toys/pictures etc were all running around having a good time
This really touched me. Sounds like some unforgettable days.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Charles is 16 months now and still has very little understanding of what he is doing but certainly knows what the he thinks he enjoys doing.

He’ll sit and watch the lights and visuals for a moment or, grab my 3DS/Switch and pull it down to see it but it doesn’t hold his interest for too long – yet.

The thing that stands out though is how he grabs the controllers off the shelf and holds them while he looks at the screen, maybe it’s the ergonomic design of the controllers but it’s fascinating to see him do it.

The GameCube pads are his current go too, as they are nice and bright, have interesting buttons and a trailing cable, he’s also a fan of the PS4 Move controllers and bowls about waving them around and biting the lamps.

He loves my office too and I often find him barking at me from my chair.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^That's great, you also have an office at home?

I remember when my daughter was a year or two. At the time I didn't play many games in front of her, but I one time sat down and played through the ending of Super Mario Galaxy and she was sitting besides me, not being able to keep her widened eyes off the screen, while I ran through the final galaxy and the fight against Bowser.

Like Darren says, it's all about moderation. As a massive video game enthusiast myself (obviously), it's very tempting to sink away in a world of nothing but video games with them. Mine are 8 and 9 (almost 10 now) and I love discussing games with them and both are also very fascinated with the older games in my collection and my son often tries games out on the Vectrex, NES, Mega Drive or SNES (we recently played a whole bunch of Goof Troop together, with me being Goofy and him being Max). And while I actually think there are many merits to playing video games (I like to think I owe my quick reaction speed and problem solving attitude to years of playing them), it's too easy, especially for kids, to become too engulfed and I find it very important that they develop and maintain other interests as well, to become well rounded individuals. So they only get to play from Friday to Sunday and not more than two hours per day each.

Also, I was never too worried about trying to get them into games or what games I should introduce them to, or to shape or mould their taste. These things just happen naturally. My only guidance is that I don't allow them to play 16+ games from my collection, as I don't think they are well served with hyper violent or sexual imagery at this age. I seem to be a bit of an exception there, as many of their classmates play GTA and watch horror flicks.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, of course there’s a massive amount moderation here - as with everything.

I have a current standing that I’m trying to maintain with Charles as he grows - he’s going to be into, what he’s into.

The only gaming stuff in our house, outside of my office is the 3DS and Swicth, therefore his exposure to it is limited - which I think is what partly drives his desire for touching it.

It’s the same with football for instance - I’m not going to force it upon him, I’m going to let him gravitate to whatever he likes.

That said, I’m not going to alter my interests in things to try and deter him either.

I want him to naturally feel excited on a Saturday for 3PM not just because Dad does either.

Things will change I’m sure but currently it’s fascinating to see him get excited about things.

Cars, wooden spoons and balls are his current vices.

Yeah, I’ve built myself a windowless office in my house. It’s handy for work and is an ideal place to keep all my games/consoles etc... keeps the house the house and my space my own.

I’m very lucky in that regard.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Sounds like a healthy attitude to me!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Have a word with your boy about the way he’s holding that Mega Drive pad will you :lol: !!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I admit I’d have no idea how I’d do this. My parents knew nothing about video games other than that I liked them, and what I bought and how long I played was always entirely up to me from the first moment a computer was a regular thing in my life.

I think the first time my dad actually played a video game I was already 28...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: September 21st, 2018, 9:53 am Have a word with your boy about the way he’s holding that Mega Drive pad will you :lol: !!

LOL, you leave him alone! This was when he was watching the game's tutorial before he started playing!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

He’s whistfully pondering whether or not he will retain his lustrous head of hair...