Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Xbox One

Post by Stanshall »

XB1 also has the best pad I've ever used. I was actually quite shocked that I'd never read anything about it anywhere. It's absolutely gorgeous.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Stanshall wrote: October 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm XB1 also has the best pad I've ever used. I was actually quite shocked that I'd never read anything about it anywhere. It's absolutely gorgeous.
Couldn't agree more. Best overall pad I've ever used in nearly three decades of gaming, which sounds like hyperbole but that's genuinely true for me.

Before I bought a PS4 Pro and had just the standard console, I'd often buy the XO version of a multiplat game rather than the PS4 one, as you might sometimes get a few extra pixels on Sony's machine but the act of actually playing the game was better on XO thanks to the pad alone.

And if you've got a few extra quid knocking around the Elite is simply glorious!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah the elite controller is great. I sold mine after my one year old figured out you could pull off all the little pieces and try to eat them!
countstex

Post by countstex »

Just noticed there doesn't seem to be a 'The Microsoft News and Disscussion Thread' so I'll post this here ;)

Great article on the team behind Backwards Comparability on XBOX:
IGN:THE UNTOLD STORY OF XBOX ONE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
dezm0nd

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd »

Fixed!
countstex

Post by countstex »

Cheers Darren!
lowestformofwit

Post by lowestformofwit »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 1st, 2017, 8:04 pm
Stanshall wrote: October 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm XB1 also has the best pad I've ever used. I was actually quite shocked that I'd never read anything about it anywhere. It's absolutely gorgeous.
Couldn't agree more. Best overall pad I've ever used in nearly three decades of gaming, which sounds like hyperbole but that's genuinely true for me.

Before I bought a PS4 Pro and had just the standard console, I'd often buy the XO version of a multiplat game rather than the PS4 one, as you might sometimes get a few extra pixels on Sony's machine but the act of actually playing the game was better on XO thanks to the pad alone.

And if you've got a few extra quid knocking around the Elite is simply glorious!
Agreed. The Xbox One controller is definitely more comfortable to use and Microsoft actually listen and have made a lot of improvements to the controller since launch. (Why Sony still hasn't listened and provided an option to turn off the ridiculous light which runs down the battery is beyond me)

The Elite controller takes the design and improves on it further. It is the perfect controller for both Xbox and PC play. I love mine and would never part with it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I like the One S controller very much but for my hands I find the DS4 even more comfortable. Agreed about the option to turn the light off though!

In terms of pure pleasure to hold and use, the Switch Pro controller is my current favourite.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The GameCube controller will probably always remain my favorite, but it does have a very specialized design which makes it rather ill-suited for certain genres such as shooters. With that said, I greatly appreciate the efforts console manufacturers have made to improve on their controller designs over the course of the 8th gen. The DS4 is probably the strongest improvement of the PlayStation brand that Sony has ever put forth, and I find previous DualShock iterations to be a pain to go back to nowadays. The Xbox One controller is a refinement of the already solid 360 one, with higher manufacturing quality (the issue with the deadzones and texture degradation on the 360 controller sticks became very apparent after a while). And while I haven't tested the Switch yet, the WiiU Pro controller is one of the great unsung heroes with its fantastic ergonomics and responsiveness.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I find pretty much every controller too small. It's also why I've never been able get into handheld gaming, 5 minutes of any gameboy or the vita has my hands cramping. I'm interested in the re-release of the Duke controller though. Never tried one but stories suggest it was rather oversized.
The XBOX One is certainly the most comfortable of all the controllers I've tried over the years.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's not everyone else's fault that you have hands the size of giant hams, Steve.
:D
countstex

Post by countstex »

Are you suggesting I'm the weirdo and not everyone else?? How preposterous! ;)
countstex

Post by countstex »

Arthur Gies just tweeted about One X enhanced titles:

162 one x enhanced titles so far total, with ~80 being cited as launching on/around the console release.

That's a strong launch hit! Most impressed.
Sinclair Gregstrum

So did everyone who pre-ordered get their Xbox One X ok today?

I’m one of the poor schmucks who ordered a Project Scorpio edition from Amazon here in the UK and have been hit by a delay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -to-arrive

Crappy indeed and the fact they didn’t get out in front of this when they must have known there was going to be an issue weeks ago is just horrific customer service. They’re also not publicly commenting on the situation which given how widespread it appears to be is pretty shameful.

Fortunately for me personally my machine is due to arrive tomorrow, but I really feel for those being told they won’t be getting a console until December, or worse still, not at all.

Last time I preorder a console from Amazon, that’s for sure!
Sinclair Gregstrum

My order now saying delivery between 8th-10th!

I’ve phoned them and the chap on the other end assured me it would today. Apparently my order is genuinely on the way, but reading so many stories of cancellations I’m getting a little nervous to say the least...
countstex

Post by countstex »

Living on a tiny island in the Baltic it took an extra day for mine to turn up, but I was half prepared for that eventuality.

As for the system it is rather impressive! Such a tiny box, without even a power brick, but everything plays so much better. I'd just started playing XCOM 2 on my old system and the load times were pretty terrible, with graphical slowdown in many places. On the X it's all loading much, much faster and only the occasional frame drop during the loading sequences.

Gears 4 I ran campaign at 60FPS (I have a 1080P screen still) and that just felt like I was playing a PC game. My decision to not upgrade my PC and wait for the X seems to have been well justified.

Also tried out Oblivion and Fallout 3 and both look so nice with the resolution increase. Oblivion's textures are a bit dated so it was a little weird having such sharp polygon edges but quite smudgy textures, Fallout however looks impressive still. I might actually get around to finishing that game now!

All in all I'm very happy with the choice to get one. I don't have a PS4 Pro to compare with of course, since I don't play on my PlayStation often enough to justify it but it does feel like I'm playing on the most powerful console ever, and as I said I don't feel the need to upgrade my PC for a long tome now.

Zero buyers remorse so far.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Assault Android Cactus is out on the XBO now.

Yes, I will continue to bang on about how great it is until everyone has played it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I see it's available on other platforms as well... What makes it so great?
James

Post by James »

It's a fun twin-stick shooter with a lot of character. As per the genre, it focuses on score attack levels, meter management, and mayhem. If arcade games (particularly shooters) are your thing, it's a must play in my opinion. If not, it may be worth a punt in a sale.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Never heard about it until now, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.