Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Xbox One

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've heard good things about Kalimba: http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/104 ... index.html
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote:Cheers, that looks very promising.

However there's been a change of plan. I couldn't resist picking up the Bioshock Collection today for the PS4. I've never played any of them before so that's me sorted for the next few weeks.
You will not be disappointed in that purchase.

Bioshock is up there with one of my all tim best game experiences.

Bioshock 2 gave me exactly what I wanted in terms of more content when it released and pulled more admiration out of me for the original game. I also very much enjoyed the MP and DO NOT miss Minerva's Den.

Infinite I bounced off completely :( . It was far to similar to the previous games, but then being in an all together environment.

I won't be getting that remastered release, as I've played enough of the first two, they will now stay preserved in my memory. Infinite, though, I'm hoping the title comes to BC - if it does, I'll certainly give it another go.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote:Luckily enough I still have no idea what it's about.
Perfect.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Has anyone picked up Forza Horizon 3?

Reviews have been stellar and really close to caving and picking it up despite the fact I've got a back log of great games to play and a busy few weeks ahead (plus PSVR arriving soon!).

Some positive vibes from the C&R community might just be enough to tip me over the edge!

It really does look absolutely glorious.....
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Picked up Forza Horizon 3 this morning, feel free to add me gamertag bigrich1979
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ThirdMan wrote:Yeah that's true.

Ori and the Blind Forest looks great so that's one to pick up.

Any Quantum Break fans here? Recommended?
I really enjoyed Quantum Break and wanted more of the tv show when it had finished.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I picked up FH3 today too, so far it's exactly the same of FH & FH2, although the Australian environment so far seems more varied than the previous versions of the game. Which is good.

The lighting in this game is superb !!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Thumbs up from me too, I ummed and ahhed about picking it up at launch but at the end of the day it's a keeper and another solid addition to both the series and console.

Really enjoying the radio stations which are actually making me enjoy other genres I never knew I had a taste for a little more.

Most of all though, it plays exactly like the kind of racing game I enjoy and if that's a sega game we'll never get this is clearly the closest to it!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I managed to snag one of these last week, I pre ordered from MS back when the were announced.

It's the same physically as the other Elite Pad from what I can tell, the only difference being the D-Pad dish, which has perforations and the Gears symbols on it.

The markings are all out in and those scratches on the front are actually indents in the case, which is pretty cool.

I prefer the simplicity of my original Elite but the Gears one does have a few little nice touches though, which make it special.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Picked up Stardew Valley on the Xbox today, as I've been wanting to play this since its been announced but have an iMac :( .

Gunna give it a good old thrashing tonight I hope, REALLY looking forward to it.

£11.99 too, which I thought was fair.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Seems more than fair to me given the average playtime people seem to be getting out of it - that and the entire thing was made by one dude.
So many man hours!

Also, Bastion is out now on Xbox One, and is free to download if you already own it on 360.*

*Only until January 1st 2017 though (thanks Flabyo)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote:I managed to snag one of these last week, I pre ordered from MS back when the were announced.

It's the same physically as the other Elite Pad from what I can tell, the only difference being the D-Pad dish, which has perforations and the Gears symbols on it.

The markings are all out in and those scratches on the front are actually indents in the case, which is pretty cool.
Man, that looks amazing.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Anyone had any issues since the last update on Monday?

My headphones are very glitchy now and keep dropping out and also I have weird fonts all over the place (see pic)

I think I need to reset my xbox one :(
Sinclair Gregstrum

No such issues on mine I'm afraid sir. That does look odd...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

There was another update (500MB) when I logged on last night. Headphones are fine now but there is still those odd fonts hidden here and there..
Sinclair Gregstrum

Lots of exclusive, official Scorpio news over on Digital Foundry/Eurogamer.

It's all very tech focussed, talking almost exclusively about specs and capabilities (no release date, console pics or anything), but it's pretty interesting if you like that kind of thing.

In summary - it's an absolute beast!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yep, all the numbers seem to be going in the right direction.

Only as good as it's software though, which I assume Microsoft are going to go all out with at E3 - as currently, for me, I don't see any reason to get one based of the current offering of Xbox games.

Water cooled consoles, who'd have thought.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Japanese launch dreamcast was liquid cooled. They'd revised the hardware long before the western releases though.

(Not usually water, tends to be some variant of freon)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Completely agree - Microsoft really need to pull some games out of the bag at E3, and not just another Halo/Gears/Forza sequel, as great as those are. They need a Horizon. They need a Nier. They need a Nioh.

After a slow couple of years Sony is either creating or buying in heaps of great exclusive titles, and Xbox has gone completely the other way. There has been a steady stream of good first and second party stuff up to now, but with only really Crackdown 3, Sea Of Thieves and State of Decay 2 on the cards, there's been a marked downturn and they're being left behind in terms of software quality. Now they may all turn out to be really good games, but I'd be surprised if any of them hit the heights of those aforementioned PS4 titles.

Will be an interesting E3 for sure!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Flabyo wrote: April 7th, 2017, 11:27 am Japanese launch dreamcast was liquid cooled.
I remember that! Man I loved the Dreamcast...