Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Xbox One

Post by DomsBeard »

I've picked up Doom on xbox one and think it looks great. I did notice the graphics loading occasionally on a restart.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Do I need to have played/know Banner Saga 1 to enjoy 2?
countstex

Post by countstex »

From what I know the story carries right on, so I'd say yes.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk
Suits

Post by Suits »

Jusifer wrote:so i was Playing the DOOM demo the other day and I have to say that while the game it self was pretty damn good it did look a bit last gen in terms of graphics. is that just the xbox one demo (the file size was 5gb) or does the actual game look nicer? looking at some comparison photos I can't really tell the difference between the consoles but it's kind of hard to judge between the picture and the demo.
It's been a while since I last played it but thinking back to it, I can only remember being impressed with its art work and visuals (Xbox One). Outside on Mars and Hell looked wonderful to me.

Only issue I had with 'very' Doom was the melee glitch thing, where you'd suddenly appear behind the enemy.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Games for Gold for August announced.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate : XBO
WWE2k16 : XBO
Spelunky : 360
Beyond Good and Evil HD : 360

Solid selection. Orochi 3 isn't the Warriors game I would've picked as an introduction to the series, but as Dynasty Warriors 7 isn't an XBO game there isn't really much other option. It's still a really fun game, it just makes almost zero sense at all, plot wise. It's the one with all the guest characters from Tecmo and even some from Namco in it.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

So has anyone picked up a One S?

They seem to be completely sold-out everywhere.

There's also an interesting (if you like this kind of thing) Digital Foundry report on how it does in fact offer a performance boost in some games thanks to the overclocked GPU and increased ES RAM bandwidth - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... hmarked-it

Response overall seems to be overwhelmingly positive. If it wasn't for the imminent arrival of PSVR I'd cave and pick one up I think, but just can't justify it with my Day One system still performing just fine.

I remember back in the 360 era that I was actually quite delighted when my launch console finally died and had an excuse to pick up an Elite. Damn MS for making the XOne so bloody reliable! :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've been looking but the 2TB model is indeed widely sold out currently.

I fully intend to upgrade from my launch machine to an S at some point soon though.
Suits

Xbox One

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I grabbed a 2TB Xbox One S direct from MS.

Pre-ordered it a few months back and it arrived on the 2nd.

It's nice, sits on my big TV with my Wii U and PS4 while my old Day One Xbox stays in the office.

Just another Xbox One really but a lot smaller and compact, better than the smaller console size for me, is the fact that the power brick is now internal.

Sinclair Gregstrum

Nice!

I want one :cry:

Apparently there's a little easter egg on the inside of the console if you're a mentalist and fancy cracking it open: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... xbox-one-s
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:Nice!

I want one :cry:
Me too! :mrgreen:
Sean

Post by Sean »

I wonder what shipments were like in your neck of the woods. Not to rub it in, but, they're available, like, everywhere over here.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I haven't heard of them being sold out here, I confess. I got mine, but I haven't bought any games yet, so I'm not setting it up.
Suits

Post by Suits »

2TB Xbox One S's are supposedly all out of stock now via first parties.

There are some company's selling them on Amazon for £470 and up !!!

The GoW version will be here before Christmas but that was too lairy for me, plus its an extra £50.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, I'm just going to lump it and get a white 1TB machine I reckon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

One of the best games I've played in years is due out on XB1 next month - The Witness.

Be sure to give it a try! (Does the XB1 still offer a demo of every digital game as the 360 did? If so, nothing to lose by trying it!)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote:(Does the XB1 still offer a demo of every digital game as the 360 did? If so, nothing to lose by trying it!)
No, because the rule now is every game has to be available digitally. There's no such thing as a disc only title on the XBO.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah right yeah, didn't think of that.

So - 30 min gameplay video of the cancelled Goldeneye remake for 360. Shows how much your memory distorts things, I was convinced I was watching the original N64 version and was waiting for the updated visuals to kick in when the player flicked back to the N64 graphics!! Haha.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Been putting a bit more time in with my XBO for various reasons, and, whatever the latest update was has definitely sped up the way I use the system. I'm thinking it needs a bit more love in my household, so, I picked up DOOM for it even though I rented/completed it before on PS4. Might start using it as my main from here on, especially considering the forward-compatibility with Scorpio and all.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Sean wrote:Been putting a bit more time in with my XBO for various reasons, and, whatever the latest update was has definitely sped up the way I use the system. I'm thinking it needs a bit more love in my household, so, I picked up DOOM for it even though I rented/completed it before on PS4. Might start using it as my main from here on, especially considering the forward-compatibility with Scorpio and all.
Yeah I've noticed a performance increase while using the UI recently. You have to hand it to MS, compared to when it started the user experience and feature-set of the console has dramatically improved over time. I wasn't keen on it at the start but now I have to say for me personally it's way ahead of the fairly dry PS4 set up that's essentially not been meaningfully evolved since day one. Don't get me wrong - I don't actively dislike the PS4 experience (I actually preferred it until the most recent XBO revision), but Sony's lack of development on it has definitely seen them fall behind IMO.

Agree on the whole forwards compatibility with Scorpio thing - for me it does encourage more engagement with the platform and it's content knowing that everything will carry over to the new console next year. Obviously that's the same for PS4 Neo (we assume), but I doubt I'll be investing in that for a relatively small incremental upgrade quite so soon (release date TBC obviously!) vs the significant jump we'll see with Scorpio that I think I'll be ready for by the end of next year.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Not many of the indies are actually exclusive to any platform these days.