Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by Flabyo »

It’s been on Steam and the PS4 for ages, probably a lot cheaper on Steam than it is on the console by now as well.

I just don’t have a decent machine for Steam stuff and I fancied playing through it again on something with some actual power so I can see how it’s meant to look. Also: achievements. Heh.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Since I received my XBOX X I've actually been playing a lot of 360 games on it! Seems a waste you might think, but the super fast load times and rock solid frame rates actually make some of the games way more playable. Been rocking out in XCOM and Fallout 3. It's the same warm feeling I get when I upgrade my graphics card on my PC.

Top marks!

What have you others X'ers been playing most?
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

After not having a Microsoft console for a fair few years, I'm quite looking forward to getting an S for Christmas this year.

While I do have a 4K TV, I couldn't justify spending at least £200 more on the console just to play a handful of exclusives. I'll definitely be sticking to my PS4 Pro for my main gaming needs, but am pumped to finally get to play a Forza game.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Pitwar wrote: November 20th, 2017, 10:56 am After not having a Microsoft console for a fair few years, I'm quite looking forward to getting an S for Christmas this year.

While I do have a 4K TV, I couldn't justify spending at least £200 more on the console just to play a handful of exclusives. I'll definitely be sticking to my PS4 Pro for my main gaming needs, but am pumped to finally get to play a Forza game.
Well exclusives and any 360 games that are receiving update patches for the X. I've been playing Fallout 3 which I kind of missed out on back in the day and that looks really nice. Dated textures sure, but graphically sharp. That said the X is definitely a luxury option. As I've said I've bought mine before getting a 4K TV and getting a lot out of it anyway.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The developers of the Forza Horizon games have opened a new studio with the intent of making an open-world RPG. Interesting stuff. Pretty unexpected direction for them to take. Looks like they've got hold of some good talent from across the industry too. Hope it turns out well. I also wonder if this is supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Horizon: Zero Dawn.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... action-rpg
countstex

Post by countstex »

Huh, didn't see that coming! One to keep an eye on certainly.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Skyrim and Fallout 4 joining the true 4K crew on the X:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n30697 ... yrim-today
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

For Fable you can just stick the discs for 2 and 3 in your XBO. You can’t yet play the first game in its original form on the XBO, but the anniversary remake they did for the 360 will work on the XBO as well.

It’s pretty commonly in the digital sales on the platform as well.
countstex

Post by countstex »

And by the time you've played through those 3 Fable 4 might be with us ;)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

That’s a pretty incredible gift for your nephews!

It’d be cruel to suddenly deny them access when you get your Pro; I suggest starting again with a new PS account. Hey presto, no backlog ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: January 21st, 2018, 10:34 am
countstex wrote: January 21st, 2018, 8:37 am And by the time you've played through those 3 Fable 4 might be with us ;)
:)

I played my first 30 minutes of Fable II last night and already I can see why a new Fable game has people so excited. I'm absolutely smitten with it. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in.
Fable 2 really is in my top ten of all time. I loved that world, the characters, the story, the combat, the exploration. Everything about that game is pure class. I'd love to replay it if it didn't mean digging my 360 out and hooking it up (and I had an infinite supply of time...) Its one of the only (and I say one of, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head) that I actually paid for DLC in, which is a measure of how much I just loved being in that world and didn't want to leave!
James

Post by James »

I gave my Xbox One to my nephews for Christmas. Made it much easier to justify picking up an Xbox One X ;-)
(I'm all heart and generosity, me!)

Fable 3 left rather a bad taste in my mouth, but I can't deny it had some interesting ideas regarding timeline and win conditions. I never played the original, but Fable 2 managed to blend some equally interesting ideas (as 3) into what I felt was a more coherent, satisfying experience. Plus, it took a shortcut to my heart by having a darned fantastic dog by your side throughout the game.

I'd be all kinds of in for a Fable 4. Though it'd be undeniably weird to see it in the hands of someone other than Lionhead.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve said it before, but I’ve never really been able to get a handle on what it is we changed from Fable 2 to 3 that ‘broke’ it for so many people. It’s a very common opinion, so not one I dismiss, but I’m way too close to both projects to be able to figure it out myself.

(For my own part I think I did far better work on 3 than 2, but I’d need to sit you down and talk you through each bit that is mine to explain why, heh)

Sure would be nice if someone ever did a podcast on those games. 2019 then lads?
James

Post by James »

Honestly, without playing them one after t'other, I'm not sure I'd have a good grasp of why I felt less warm towards 3. It's undeniably great in many respects, and, as mentioned, I think it has some excellent ideas that I hadn't really seen before. With a gun to my head right now, I'd say 3 had a less-whimsical, colder tone, that I didn't enjoy quite so much, but I'd be hard pushed to provide examples.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be, Glen, to have this opinion be the dominant one without much notion of why it should be the case. Apologies for adding to that feeling.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's too long ago to remember exactly why I didn't like Fable 3 after loving 2, but I know I traded it in after only a few hours play. I didn't like the hub world idea, the way the worlds werent properly connected. I had a bug in which the butler lost audio and it never came back as well which didn't help. But without trawling old forum posts which may or may not still exist, I really can't remember what turned me off it now.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My softography isn’t that magnificent compared to some of the LH people, but as it comes up on here from time to time:
Spoiler: show
Released titles:

Sydney 2000 - (PS1, DC, PC)
Lego Racers 2 - (PS2, PC)
Batman: Dark Tomorrow - (GC, Xbox)
Black and White 2 - (PC)
Black and White 2: Battle of the Gods - (PC)
Fable 2 - (360)
Fable 3 - (360)
Fable: The Journey - (360)
GodFinger 2 - (iOS)
MojiBowling - (iMessage)

Not sure much of what I did for the Batman game made it into the final game, I wasn’t there long. Code that I wrote forms a large part of Fable Heroes as well, but I wasn’t actually on that team so just a ‘special thanks’ credit there.

In terms of cancelled games, there was a third person ps1 action game called Gabrielle that I’m still sort of fond of, a ps2 game I worked on with some of the theme park world devs that was based around running a dinosaur theme park, and numerous iOS games that were culled early (which is actually the way to do things in mobile, overall dev times are short so no point sticking with a dud)

I somehow managed to avoid being on anything at LH that was cancelled, which given how many things started and died while I was there is something of a minor miracle.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I don't have any real desire for the Fable series, I'm sorry to say.

I played 2 through to the end and got all the achievements, as well as those silly dolls :lol: .

I played 3, I'll be honest, only because a close friend of mine went to work at LionHead for that project. I played up to where his work culminated in the quest 'The Game' then fulfilled, I put the game down.

From a personal point of view, I never got on with the over-world and the whole golden breadcrumb trail, removed me from the immersion that I had.

Extremely popular with the majority of my gaming mates thought and I can see why, just not my cup of tea in the end.

EDIT - I did however LUURRRVVVV the Pub Games XBLA release :lol: .
countstex

Post by countstex »

James wrote: January 21st, 2018, 10:55 am I gave my Xbox One to my nephews for Christmas. Made it much easier to justify picking up an Xbox One X ;-)
(I'm all heart and generosity, me!)

Fable 3 left rather a bad taste in my mouth, but I can't deny it had some interesting ideas regarding timeline and win conditions. I never played the original, but Fable 2 managed to blend some equally interesting ideas (as 3) into what I felt was a more coherent, satisfying experience. Plus, it took a shortcut to my heart by having a darned fantastic dog by your side throughout the game.

I'd be all kinds of in for a Fable 4. Though it'd be undeniably weird to see it in the hands of someone other than Lionhead.
I never really had a problem with 3, I can't remember know what the actual 'thing' was that people fell out with?? It's certainly not as strong as 2, I'll say that but I enjoy playing it all the same.
And yes, 4 in the hands of Forza Horizon folks is something one can't even take a guess at how it will turn out! Maintaining the humour will be the hardest part, it has that very quintessential British feel to it.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote: January 21st, 2018, 5:02 pm I don't have any real desire for the Fable series, I'm sorry to say.

I played 2 through to the end and got all the achievements, as well as those silly dolls :lol: .

I played 3, I'll be honest, only because a close friend of mine went to work at LionHead for that project. I played up to where his work culminated in the quest 'The Game' then fulfilled, I put the game down.

From a personal point of view, I never got on with the over-world and the whole golden breadcrumb trail, removed me from the immersion that I had.

Extremely popular with the majority of my gaming mates thought and I can see why, just not my cup of tea in the end.

EDIT - I did however LUURRRVVVV the Pub Games XBLA release :lol: .
Kind of in the same boat, as in Fable doesn't float it.

Played through the first game, and enjoyed the Molyneux experience enough. It falls into the "fine" category for me.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

countstex wrote: January 21st, 2018, 9:00 pm I never really had a problem with 3, I can't remember know what the actual 'thing' was that people fell out with??
I believe it was the drastic change of direction in the final third
Spoiler: show
where you effectively became an accountant/lawyer for 100 days before fighting a previous boss again
...that felt half-baked and anticlimatic. Technically speaking I wouldn't say anything was broken between 2 and 3. I think for most people I've spoken to and read, it was a conceptual issue. Still looked and felt like Fable up to that point.

As for the Horizon people making the fourth game, it's worth noting that they have set up an entirely separate studio and staffed from scratch. So while there will certainly be an over-arching company ethos that might bleed through, there's no real reason to expect any other similarity to Forza Horizon. Unless there's been a direct hire from the FH team that I've missed!