Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

Post by chase210 »

I hope nobody minds this, but I'm sure I'm not the only pokemon player on here.

I'm a pretty big pokemon fan as you can probably tell, I'm currently still playing black 2 and white 2, and I might go for my 8th playthrough of heartgold before X+Y comes out. Pokemon X + Y are the first pokemon games on the 3DS and they look pretty great. There's also a Wii U pokemon game on the way, though not a proper main series title.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

A Pokémon thread is long overdue!

I really like the games and I've played most of the generations, though I'm yet to complete one let alone fill a Pokédex!
Very much looking forward to X/Y.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The games are arguably significantly less about pokedex completion these days. Wifi makes that sort of thing a lot simpler, so stuff like the old thing of version exclusives becomes an almost null point. In terms of my favoruite games it'd have to go

Heartgold/soulsilver
Black 2/white 2
Firered/leafgreen
Diamond/pearl
Ruby and sapphire

And honourable mentioned to the gamecube games, pokemon colosseum and pokemon XD gale of darkness, which are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Pokemon is more or less what brought me in to gaming, but I haven't played the series in a while. Loved the first three generations, but I got tired of it by gen. 4. Didn't enjoy Pearl version. I liked SoulSilver, but I've never finished it. Not that I had much left to do though. Just had to beat Red I think, but still I lost interest before the end.

X/Y look interesting though. I'm considering jumping back in to the series for these ones.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've not properly played a Pokemon game since the first lot came out but I bloody loved it. It was a mass fever of people trading, fighting and talking about all things pokemon for a long while and whilst i've dabbled in various spin offs, i've yet to take the plunge on another adventure largely due to the similar look and feel each game has had since then.

X/Y however, look superb! ...Maybe...!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I do agree that on the surface it all looks not that far apart from even red and blue, its actually significantly changed. Black and white on has a really fantastic battle system .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's quite crazy, but you've never been able to walk diagonally before in Pokemon, and I remember finding that incredibly frustrating in 1996 with Suikoden!
So it's great news that X & Y finally allow multidirectional perambulation :)
chase210

Re: The gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

Post by chase210 »

For anyone looking to make a start on the series after a hiatus, you can't go wrong with black 2. Heartgold is my personal favourite , but black 2 has the righgt mix of new and old pokemon, guiding you through without pointing it in your face, etc.

Another interesting point is, as a monument I'd say to pokemon's outstanding game design, if you go back to red and blue, they are still totally playable. Like, good quality. Seeing as its.. 17 years on? I'd say thats quite an accomplishment.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Lovely they are.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Always been set on sticking with a Pokémon game for more than a few hours but this year I'm finally going to do it!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Always been set on sticking with a Pokémon game for more than a few hours but this year I'm finally going to do it!
Gonna go with X + Y or try one of the older ones?

mikeleddy83

Re: Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm pretty sure it'll be the new one (in my case X - don't judge). Always been tempted to try Black or White after seeing similar aged folk playing it on their 3DS around launch and seeing a surge of street passes showing this as their active game.

If I had to play one in advance I wouldn't be sure which one is lite enough to not totally take over my play time yet have a strong enough story to pull me through, any suggestions? I tried soul silver but heard it wasn't going to be a game I could just dip into and also tried fire red which seemed to be completely playable yet my interest waned after the 3rd or so dojo/badge/boss (can't remember the terminology).

Edit. Just put my pre-order down for Tales of Xillia, not sure how many JRPGs I can fit in before X now but any suggestions are still welcome.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

mikeleddy83 wrote:I'm pretty sure it'll be the new one (in my case X - don't judge). Always been tempted to try Black or White after seeing similar aged folk playing it on their 3DS around launch and seeing a surge of street passes showing this as their active game.

If I had to play one in advance I wouldn't be sure which one is lite enough to not totally take over my play time yet have a strong enough story to pull me through, any suggestions? I tried soul silver but heard it wasn't going to be a game I could just dip into and also tried fire red which seemed to be completely playable yet my interest waned after the 3rd or so dojo/badge/boss (can't remember the terminology).

Edit. Just put my pre-order down for Tales of Xillia, not sure how many JRPGs I can fit in before X now but any suggestions are still welcome.
I'd say black 2 or heartgold(same as soulsilver) The first black and white doesn't let you access classic pokemon till you've completed the main quest, and its a bit irritating to be honest. Black 2 has a pretty good mix.
Kajigh

Post by Kajigh »

X/Y might well be what finally pushes me to get a 3DS, among other titles and having sufficient funds. But I've always loved Pokémon games, FireRed being one of my favourites - played it first and thought it was great - with Black 2 and HeartGold coming at a close joint second.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Got some interesting news about the new games. They've revealed a few new species, which isn't such a big deal (one looks like a fat baby Raichu), but there is something that I thought was interesting. There's something called "mega forms" now. It's not really clear what they are as of yet, but they seem to be alternate versions of already existing species. That new Mewtwo thing is apparently one of them. More details here:

http://www.destructoid.com/new-pokemon- ... 9642.phtml

I think they look pretty cool. I'm especially partial to "Mega Absol".
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The poke community seems to be throwing a hissy fit about it. But I think their pretty good :)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

http://www.twitch.tv/pokemon/b/444159386

Pokemon world championships were this weekend.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Looks like Pokémon's still got it then:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... azon_japan
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Crazy, eh! I gotta admit its been long enough since In last played one that I'm tempted. The 3DS doesn't need any more top quality gaming this year but it sure doesn't show and signs of stopping!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

There'll be a demo of the game available at gamescom :D