Devil May Cry 1-5 & DmC

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Devil May Cry 1-4 & DmC

Post by Scrustle »

Ah okay. I was going to say, the original is pretty hard to get in to now. I personally gave up on it myself. It's very dated.

What is it about the reboot that turns you off?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Not really liking the character of dante, or the gameplay. I'm not a fan of these kinda games as a rule but I really liked enslaved so I had high hopes.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't think anyone would really argue that Enslaved and DmC share the same strengths.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Has anyone played the Vergil's Downfall DLC? Any good?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It's pretty fun. It's relatively short, and the story isn't great, but to play it's pretty good. Vergil plays very differently to Dante, and he's pretty unusual. His sword swings are super quick, and his play style has a lot more of a focus on passive skill (like the ghost swords) that direct attacks, although he has a fair amount of those too. Towards the beginning of it he feel pretty limited, but as you gain more powers he gets more fleshed out, although his overall moveset is still small compared to Dante's. It's good for the length of the DLC though. I'd advise you try it out, actually. You should probably finish the base game first though, since it's set right after the end of that.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Man, this game (DMC remastered) is the shit, I love it. Didn't play the original and the remaster is a budget release, and I love it to bits. More than the original DMC games in fact, ninja theory are goddamn wizards.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Scrustle wrote:It's pretty fun. It's relatively short, and the story isn't great, but to play it's pretty good. Vergil plays very differently to Dante, and he's pretty unusual. His sword swings are super quick, and his play style has a lot more of a focus on passive skill (like the ghost swords) that direct attacks, although he has a fair amount of those too. Towards the beginning of it he feel pretty limited, but as you gain more powers he gets more fleshed out, although his overall moveset is still small compared to Dante's. It's good for the length of the DLC though. I'd advise you try it out, actually. You should probably finish the base game first though, since it's set right after the end of that.
You know what? I agree that the story isn't fantastic but I enjoyed it regardless (the story I mean).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Here is a really nice, story spoiler-free Dante gameplay presentation (including bossfight) which is well worth watching for those who would like to see some unedited combat footage:

Alex79

Re: Devil May Cry 1-5 & DmC

Post by Alex79 »

Two questions, since DMC 1 to 4 are available on PS Now...

Firstly, which is the best of the original four, nostalgia aside, maybe im asking which the most accessible nowadays would be.

And do you really need to play them all in order? Or, like the Castlevania series can you dip in and out? They don't strike me as games with particularly involving stories.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

3 and 4 hold up the best these days, with 4 being the much more accessible of the two. It's not really worth going through them all in order, although going backwards to older games is very hard once you get used to the improvements in mechanics of the later games. In terms of story, some of them have some good character moments, but overall it's not something that you need to worry about. The chronology is completely out of order too. Also it's best to just ignore 2 all together. It's a mess that no one likes.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, since I'm currently replaying them:

1 is really good, though it's a bit janky at times and probably not very easy to get into for someone without any attachment to the series nowadays.

2 is pure trash, and I have never heard of a single DMC fan praising it, let alone considering it as the best in the series. It's not like with Halo 2 or Resident Evil 0 or MGS2 that some fans genuinely appreciate and defend despite their shortcomings and are nowhere near as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe. No, it really is pure trash. The epilogue is the only important thing that is even worth mentioning in regard to the overarching DMC continuity.

3 is one of the greatest games of all time, currently replaying it and loving every second of it. Top shelf combat, pacing, boss fights, etc... But very much a product of its time, which to me is a fantastic thing, but might be an issue for you.

4 is probably the most accessible, but it also has the most blatant dearth of content. The combat system in DMC4 is easily one of the greatest combat systems ever created with a ridiculously high skill ceiling. Unfortunately, the game only has about a third of the levels and bosses it needs, which is especially egregious since the main story basically makes you play the same tiny game twice from two different characters' perspectives.

In case you're wondering, the chronology is: 3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 5.

The stories are fairly engaging and I wouldn't recommend playing them out of order. Everything is very silly and over-the-top, but there are also some surprisingly powerful moments, especially in 3. Entertaining B-movie fantasy / comedy.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's such an important series, that's also as wildly uneven as they come.

3 is the high point for many, but I feel its combat system is wasted on uninteresting stock enemy encounters. Boss fights are dope, though.

4 could have been the best, but it suffers badly for the reasons KSubzero described and the Definitive Edition does nothing to remedy this, sadly.

2 is a piece of poo, judged from as far I played before I couldn't ignore my boredom any longer.

DmC is not what I'm personally looking for in a Devil May Cry game. The combat is kind of solid, but its also kind of copy pasted and stitched together from previous Devil May Cry games.

So the first game is till really the best one for me, from beginning to end. It's the one with the most accomplished vision besides Ninja Theory's reboot, in any case.

Despite all this, I really want to play through the whole series again to get a refresher and discover how I feel about each installment now.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: September 29th, 2018, 10:11 pm 3 is the high point for many, but I feel its combat system is wasted on uninteresting stock enemy encounters.
Well, I would argue that this is an issue with the entire series, really. The standard enemy types are little more than glorified training bots. The combat in DMC is very much offense-based and protagonist-centric, which means that the enemies rarely dictate the course of events like they do in NG or Bayo. Roughly 40% of the enemy encounters in DMC1 are against the standard mannequins, and they become pretty boring after a while. The scarecrows in DMC4 aren't exactly thrilling, either.

What makes DMC3 so special in that regard?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

For some reason I found it more apparent and grating in 3. Off the top, it could be the enemies' visual design and the way you just walk from one encounter into the next, without the action adventure framing of the first game. I'll report back after replaying the whole series, though!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bizarre that the second game is viewed as so poor by almost everyone, it really does seem to stick out with everyone I've asked. Thanks for the advice, I may just start with 3 and see how I go.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

DMC2 had a rushed development by a team who had no idea what they were doing and hardly made any progress. Then in the last four months of development they brought in some new people, including Hideaki Itsuno as the new director (who had been the director on the whole main series since), to try to salvage something out of the unfinished mess they had so far. By that point in development the previous development team had only one of Dante's attacks properly finished.

I haven't got far playing it myself, because it's not a great experience, but what I saw lines up with what most people say about it. It's a tedious slog through large empty levels, with slow, clunky, and basic feeling combat against enemies that are very boring to fight. It's a disaster of a game. DMC3 was basically made as an apology to players for how bad they messed up 2.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Minor gameplay spoiler (leaked):
Spoiler: show

Cerberus is back, now with 3 (!) separate modes. :P
Hopefully it will be Air Hike compatible this time around.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just finished DMC3 on Dante Must Die difficulty.

I'm exhausted, my arm is sore, and I'm about this happy:

This right here is a large part of why I like video games so much.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Heh, DMC5 has a fighting game style training mode.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, it's like a mashup of the between level bits in Bayonetta and a traditional fighting game training mode. Makes a lot of sense, not sure it warranted its own dev diary but what the heck.