Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game Suggestions for the Podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

L.A. Noire
Could certainly happen. I think Jay & I both enjoyed it a lot more than most other people seem to have done.
Puddle
We'd probably be more likely to do Hydroventure (aka Fluidity) on the Wii. Very similar indeed but arguably better.
Duke Nukem Forever
Winky face acknowledged! However this could make for a fun show, but I feel like the story has been told many times elsewhere.
furyac3

Post by furyac3 »

o forgot to ask

Ninja Gaiden (black) / series

yesterday when i was listing stuff :lol: dont know how i forget tho because am playing 3 just now ! :lol:

o and

Transformers fall/war for cybertron

because they are really good REALLY :D but sleep save because thats me out of requests :lol:
(other than Crysis I think those two are the best i added to the mix tho)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Walking dead game, once all 5 episodes have been released would make for a good show I think

Portal 1 and 2

Crackdown 1/2
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:Walking dead game, once all 5 episodes have been released would make for a good show I think
It is on the list and I'd be stunned if we didn't do it after it's been finished. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the team play this.
RoboticMonk3y wrote:Portal 1 and 2
Again, it's probable, but so much has been said about it within the almost 18 months since the sequels release that perhaps, as with Heavy Rain, we're not in such a rush, but I'd love to do them both.
RoboticMonk3y wrote:Crackdown 1/2
Not really sure where the team stand on these. Given it's the same city it makes a whole show based around the sequel a less appealing proposition for me at least.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Psychonauts would be good.

Also, what about a three part 'Mario Game series' looking at SMB on the NES right through to Galaxy 2 on the Wii!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ninja Gaiden (series)
In Darren Forman we have one of the more qualified people in the world to talk about this game. Doing the series would be tough as a) I would want to start at the real beginning with the 8-bit trilogy and b) who wants to play NG3?! Most likely at this point is a show about Ninja Gaiden/Black/Sigma and its unlockables.
Transformers Fall/War for Cybertron
The whole Transformers thing means nothing to/does nothing for me. I hear these are fun games though (there were some good Transformers games last gen too as well as some shite ones in the 80's). I don't know if Tony would have any interest in hosting this one or not.
Walking Dead
Pretty much guaranteed to happen.
Portal 1 and 2
Ditto (at some point).
Crackdown 1 and 2
A good possibility, especially as we have access to two people who worked on the sequel in Ryan Astley and Dean Smith.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Psychonauts
I've resisted this one as Rebel FM Game Club did an entire podcast series on this one game. However, it's another one that I own and is on my backlog so I am keen to play it.
Also, what about a three part 'Mario Game series' looking at SMB on the NES right through to Galaxy 2 on the Wii!
Three part wouldn't be nearly long enough for the whole Mario series! If we were to do Mario it would be done properly, in the exhaustive Cane & Rinse way.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Seeing as how we used to play it to death back in the Gamer Dork days, could be cool to cover the Killzone trilogy.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Killzone trilogy
Well I can't think of anyone on the team who'd be keen on that... ;)
I gather a trilogy collection box is coming (rumoured or real?) so that could be the perfect opportunity.
Catatonic Nali

Post by Catatonic Nali »

Silent Hill series. If not all of them then at least the first 3. Please.
James

Post by James »

Really great suggestions, folks. It's great to see a few of the suggested games/series are already on our short-list of potentials; it shows that we're not out of our respective trees! Very humbling to have so many of you respond so positively to Leon, Tony and Jay's wonderful brainchild. Thanks.
#reflectedglory
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Puddle
We'd probably be more likely to do Hydroventure (aka Fluidity) on the Wii. Very similar indeed but arguably better.
Hyrdoventure is certainly better reviewed but I much prefer Puddle. One of things that interests me about the game (which I've completed twice now - on Vita and 360) is just how no-one seems gives a shit about it. I wouldn't pretend that it's perfect but I love it despite the frustrations (technical and otherwise). It's clear that a lot of thought has been put into it.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Catatonic Nali wrote:Silent Hill series. If not all of them then at least the first 3. Please.
If we were to do Silent Hill (and I do, and yes, it *is* on the list of options), then it would be done properly. It wouldn't just be done isolating the best 3 games in the series, 4 (The Room), Homecoming and Downpour would also be there purely for balance as, whilst they're not as good as the first 3, the focus would be on what went wrong (and what did they do right). The problem with doing a full, focus series, as we have with Metal Gear/Solid, is that you don't want to focus on other series' at the same time, so it becomes a schedule issue as well as whether there's another series of games we wish to do first.

But I'd love to do it as I love that genre. :twisted:
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

Catatonic Nali wrote:Silent Hill series. If not all of them then at least the first 3. Please.
As Karl has already said the problem is we would want to tackle at least the first 4 games and maybe all six in the series but with the way the show is laid out that will take 4 - 6 months to do!

It will happen one day but having only just done konami's Metal Gear Solid franchise I think we need a bit of a break form that particular developer / publisher.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

A few personal suggestions:

Alan Wake
De Blob
Yakuza 1/2
Disgaea 1
Gregory Horror Show
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Ouendan 1&2

Will leave it there for now, I have always found the more interesting shows the one where the title may be more of an unknown quantity, or slightly less mainstream. I do however realize that many of the above are longer titles, not easily playable in the sort of schedule you are aiming for but I think it could provide some really interesting discussion.
Poperamone

Post by Poperamone »

Agree wholeheartedly with the basement collection. Dipped in this evening and it's beautiful and wonderful

Another world/flashback

Wii, kinect and move sports (great discussion in the light of the impending wii u launch and where this 'genre' goes now)

Wonder boy series
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

PlexShaw wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:
Puddle
Hyrdoventure is certainly better reviewed but I much prefer Puddle. One of things that interests me about the game (which I've completed twice now - on Vita and 360) is just how no-one seems gives a shit about it. I wouldn't pretend that it's perfect but I love it despite the frustrations (technical and otherwise). It's clear that a lot of thought has been put into it.
I know how you feel! There are a lot of games which I love (particularly retro and on XBLA/PSN) which the wider world seems to neither know nor care about. I'll try to pick up Puddle at some point and give it a proper whirl.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Silent Hill series
This has been on the agenda since before day one and we have discussed it many times. Personally I would be happy to just play the original trilogy and ignore The Room (which wasn't a true SH game but a rebranding), Homecoming and Downpour but as you can see, some of the others feel we should do all (bar handheld spinoffs possibly) or nothing. As Tony said, given that we've just done a lengthy series on a Konami franchise we'll at least leave a decent gap until we give them our love again, even though they are possibly my favourite game creator of all.
de Blob
I've played both, completed the second. I put this on the list at some point but there was very little interest from the team.
Yakuza
Either a series or a special on Yakuza has been mooted several times and the franchise remains firmly on the list.
Disgaea
Absolute nightmare! With four main games in a series each demanding hundreds of hours from the player this would be quite a challenge. I'm a fan of the genre for sure but this may prove impractical. I'd love to do a Vandal Hearts show, or possibly even FF Tactics and sequels but again, practicality is an issue.
Gregory Horror Show
I put this on the original list but there wasn't much uptake from the crew. A fascintaing game that would be interesting to discuss for sure.
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Once again, I'd want to do the trilogy. Lengthy games but possible - part of my personal backlog.
Osu! Tatake! Ouendan
We've just done some quirky Japanese rhythm games but we have some Ouendan fans on the team so this could happen at some point. It is, or has been, on the list.
...have always found the more interesting shows the one where the title may be more of an unknown quantity, or slightly less mainstream.
I tend to agree, but we don't want to become all about the niche. We treat each game on its own merits and we all enjoy playing mainstream stuff as much as we do the more esoteric titles. C&R is all about the love of games regardless of their development or advertising budgets. Also, we do have to consider that we want to attract listeners. The Metal Gear Solid 3 show has been downloaded three or four times for every one download of the LostWinds episode for example.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Another World (Out of this World)/Flashback
Great suggestion. I failed to complete either back in the day.
Wii, Kinect and Move Sports
An interesting idea. Not sure how many of the team have access to all three control mechanisms though, which could be an issue.
Wonder Boy series
A sprawling minefield is the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island saga! The recent Sega Vintage Collection plus Virtual Console releases mean that quite a few of these are available to play legally. I would be game but I fear that tough 80/90's RPG/platformers may be a harder sell among some of my colleagues.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Would Fade To Black not be included with the AW/Flashback show?. Anyone played Another World on iOS by the way, keep looking at it but I'm not sure how it'd play.