Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game Suggestions for the Podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote:Would Fade To Black not be included with the AW/Flashback show?
Good question. Fade to Black is the only one of that 'trilogy' (not really a trilogy) that I actually finished. My guess it's the one that will have aged the worst in a lot of ways.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:Would Fade To Black not be included with the AW/Flashback show?
Good question. Fade to Black is the only one of that 'trilogy' (not really a trilogy) that I actually finished. My guess it's the one that will have aged the worst in a lot of ways.
I loved this game back on the Playstation and as a fan of both Flashback and Another World (obviously) that made me very happy.

Well games do always run the risk of not feeling 'fresh' when you go back, and you're right Leon, it has aged the worst, but more than that, it's the most painful game I have ever gone back to. It's atrocious now.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

This was supposed to be an inline reply to the author as well as Leon but Tapatalk got the better of me :p
ratsoalbion wrote:
Yakuza
Either a series or a special on Yakuza has been mooted several times and the franchise remains firmly on the list.
With the rumoured (has it been confirmed yet?) Yakuza 1&2 HD collection it makes it a lot easier for other members of the team to play it. I do own 1&2 on Playstation 2 (as well as 3&4 on PS3) but would be more inclined to play the HD remakes than the PS2 versions (particularly as, I'd you use PS3 backwards compatibility then you can't complete Yakuza without a save file from Chapter 4 onwards due to a glitch) and the ever increasing number of Yakuza releases (Currently 3 out and another releasing soon on PS3 alone) makes a series more likely than just discussing the first two (especially as many regard Yakuza 3 as their favourites).

The other issue is that we try and keep similar games apart on the release of shows and we opted for Shenmue 1&2 first (which I think is the right decision.)

It is definitely one I would like to do, but with them not being that quick to complete and by the time we would start, six titles to play, it's not easy. But some of us do like a challenge...
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'd love you to tackle these, please!

Chrono Trigger
Shenmue
Killer7 - I know you said that you've done enough Suda 51 for now but surely this one has to be done. A lot of the negative comments around his later titles centre around them not being as innovative as his earlier games, in particular this one. Covering this would definitely "flesh out" any critiques of his body of work.
Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros 3
An arcade special! - Would be great to hear the team's memories of their favourite arcade titles.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

DomsBeard wrote:Anyone played Another World on iOS by the way, keep looking at it but I'm not sure how it'd play.
Yes, to completion with all Game Center achievements unlocked on an iPad. It played fine with the on screen virtual controls (the touch controls were horrible). It would obviously be better with a controller but I got the impression most of the frustrations were a result of the level design rather than technical limitations of the platform. FWIW, I really enjoyed it (eventually!).
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

NokkonWud wrote:This was supposed to be an inline reply to the author as well as Leon but Tapatalk got the better of me :p
ratsoalbion wrote:
Yakuza
Either a series or a special on Yakuza has been mooted several times and the franchise remains firmly on the list.
With the rumoured (has it been confirmed yet?) Yakuza 1&2 HD collection it makes it a lot easier for other members of the team to play it. I do own 1&2 on Playstation 2 (as well as 3&4 on PS3) but would be more inclined to play the HD remakes than the PS2 versions (particularly as, I'd you use PS3 backwards compatibility then you can't complete Yakuza without a save file from Chapter 4 onwards due to a glitch) and the ever increasing number of Yakuza releases (Currently 3 out and another releasing soon on PS3 alone) makes a series more likely than just discussing the first two (especially as many regard Yakuza 3 as their favourites).

The other issue is that we try and keep similar games apart on the release of shows and we opted for Shenmue 1&2 first (which I think is the right decision.)

It is definitely one I would like to do, but with them not being that quick to complete and by the time we would start, six titles to play, it's not easy. But some of us do like a challenge...
I entirely understand, i think 1 and 2 in itself wod be more than enough, delving into the rest is a bit far especially for diminishing returns. Bit sometimes a focused discussion on a subset can be a linteresting.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Sonic Mole wrote:I'd love you to tackle these, please!
Chrono Trigger
Strong possibility. I'm currently in the process of finishing the DS version and I know that Josh, for one, has already done so.
Shenmue
Already been announced :)
Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros 3
See previous comments re: the Mario series.
An arcade special! - Would be great to hear the team's memories of their favourite arcade titles.
I think I'm the only real child of the arcades on the team (I might be wrong), but I wouldn't want to relegate all those hundreds of beloved and important titles to a passing mention in an arcade special. I've put forward quite a few classic coin-ops for the podcast but again, interest among the C&R panellists has been minimal. Certain special games may yet be covered, possibly with me and some guests, but you're more likely to see me waxing lyrical about coin-op classics on the blog in future.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I think I'd like to see:

-Snatcher/Policenauts
-The CPS3/death of arcades era (SF3, Red Earth, Jojo)
-The Secret of Mana
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-The Ridge Racer series
-Metroid Prime
-Pikmin
-The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (DX?)
-Viva Pinata (& rare under microsoft in general)

All the good ones seem to be taken already but I'll second the Yakuza series and Alan Wake
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alan Wake
Highly likely. It's been on the list for ages and most of the team have completed it.
Snatcher/Policenauts
Fascinating topics but a) difficult to actually play and b) We've just spent six months on Kojima. Ones for the future maybe.
The CPS3/death of arcades era (SF3, Red Earth, Jojo)
See my comments above re: arcade games. I'm a massive fan of many CPSII & III boards. SF Zero series was on the list from day one but again, difficult to assemble a full squad. I would love to make shows about countless 80's/90's arcade games but I'm not sure that the audience or panel are in place. Look out for more articles from me on the blog relating to older stuff - when I can find the time to write them.
The Secret of Mana
One of my all time favourites. Again, it's been on the list but there hasn't been a great uptake among the gang. The very next article I plan to write is on this title however.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Another all-time favourite of mine. The Castlevania series is vast and hits ridiculous highs as well as terrible lows. If we were going to do one Castlevania it would likely be this one.
Ridge Racer series
I had this exact suggestion on the big list. Again though, it's difficult to persuade people they want to source (possibly at some expense) and play a bunch of aged racers. Another one I may well write about on the blog.
Metroid Prime series
See my earlier comments.
Pikmin
Both games are on the big list and are strong candidates for a future show.
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (DX)
Zelda series is much like Mario series in that to pick just one or two out would be a shame, while covering the whole series is a vast undertaking. Remains very much in mind.
Viva Pinata (& Rare under Microsoft in general)
VP: Trouble in Paradise has fans on the team and is on the list. In Darren G we have a former Rare employee so it would be churlish to ignore such potential.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

It's fairly obvious you guys need to stop your day jobs and start taking this podcast seriously, the backlog of games to review is quite frankly getting embarrassing :-)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well that's the dream. If we thought we'd get as many downloads if we charged for each Issue we could seriously consider it.
:)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

De Blob 1 and 2?
I really enjoyed playing DeBlob 2
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago.
I enjoyed de Blob 2 myself.
Sean

Post by Sean »

mikeleddy83 wrote: -Snatcher/Policenauts
I would so love to do a Snatcher show, but, as Leon said, might be hard to get for those who haven't played it yet.

Fortunately, for me, I still have my Sega CD version!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion wrote:I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago.
I enjoyed de Blob 2 myself.
Balls! missed that response! :lol:
Poperamone

Post by Poperamone »

ratsoalbion wrote:Well that's the dream. If we thought we'd get as many downloads if we charged for each Issue we could seriously consider it.
:)

Well sir you could start by getting a donate button up!

Any plans for T-shirts or the like? It may not make you rich but it may mean you can pay to aquire all the games for the Wonderboy episode I mentoned ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

This is in no way a dig at sites which do it, but I've never felt comfortable with the idea of a donate button or similar.
However, as regards to Cane & Rinse merch, I'll leave you with a big, fat "watch this space"...
8-)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

How about starting threads for games that are popular but are unlikely to get C&R treatment?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote:How about starting threads for games that are popular but are unlikely to get C&R treatment?
Please, all of you, feel free to start a thread for any videogame you want to discuss. Any age, format, genre - it's all good here.
I'll probably have something to say about it even if no-one else does :geek:

All analogue/table/board/desktop gaming discussion shall remain in off-topic however :P #ghetto
Poperamone

Post by Poperamone »

ratsoalbion wrote:This is in no way a dig at sites which do it, but I've never felt comfortable with the idea of a donate button or similar.
However, as regards to Cane & Rinse merch, I'll leave you with a big, fat "watch this space"...
8-)
I get that, It can be a little crass sometimes. It depends how is is managed. For me Giant bomb handle it the best, the members videos are of fantastic.