Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
kintaris

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by kintaris »

Now that I have a daytime job, I find myself getting more interested in mobile games that I can potentially get away with playing at my desk when no one is watching. Wondering if Monument Valley, Dark Echo and/or FRAMED are on the list anywhere?
James

Post by James »

Monument Valley and FRAMED are (I don't even have to check as I'm a fan of both of those and put FRAMED on there myself ;) ), but not Dark Echo. Added now though, and I'm thoroughly intrigued by the trailer alone. Thanks!

arry_g

Post by arry_g »

So, I'm sure it's already been mentioned but I feel The Evil Within is a really good fit for the Cane and Rinse formula. It has a plot worth discussing (don't read good or bad here, just worth discussing), it has gameplay variety and it has a legacy tying to other popular games - notably covered by CaR in the past.
James

Post by James »

It's definitely on the list (another I don't have to check :P ), and I completely agree. I only made it to Chapter 3, due to my really needing to be in the right mental space when playing survival horror, but there's certainly a lot to tuck into with TEW.

Often CaR is able to cover games around the time of their sequel's release. Sometimes this is by design, and sometimes by happenstance. Sadly, The Evil Within 2 was announced so late, and with relatively little rumour until right before E3, that The Evil Within didn't make the Vol. 6 schedule when it was put together last October.

Please do not let this cause you to doubt Leon and Tony's wonderful ability to divine the gaming calendar months in advance though ;) .
NeoGazza

Post by NeoGazza »

Don't know if you have this on the list, but I would be curious to see what you guys think of BattleBorn! Not quite as bad as everybody makes it out to be.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've added it to the list now. Not sure if anyone on the team has played it for more than a few minutes though.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Ay man, I love Battleborn!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Except Sean!
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

When will you announce the new list? Usually some time in November isn't it?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Early-mid December I expect.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Let It Die might be quite interesting, and given it's free pretty accessible.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s on the list but I don’t think any of us stayed interested in it for more than a few days at most.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No, same here to be honest. Although the premise was great!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just making it known, I'd be firm advocate of any potential Mario Paint episode :lol: .

I have numerous mice and carts if any of the team need to borrow them ;) .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good to know, thanks Suits!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm sure the RE series has already been requested, but what are the chances of us getting an RE series playthrough akin to the Silent Hill one next year for October/Halloween?

(I'm aware that Halloween isn't as big in the UK, so maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but you can get pretty much the entire series on PS4 between the remakes, ports and PSN now)
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Now that it's on basically every current platform, I think Thimbleweed Park could generate some excellent discussion. It's a cracking game in its own right, but I think it stubbornly sits in the shadow of its point and click predecessors a little too often.

It's one of my games of the year, for sure.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Having played a lot of it recently, and what with it being pretty accessible across multiple formats, I think Sine Mora Ex would make a great episode. It has a lot of weird story stuff and multiple perspectives and characters that give things an extra dimension. The core gameplay is also superb and I love the time = life mechanic, a really interesting twist on the genre, especially in bullet hell where you're more likely to take a couple of hits, and it gives you the chance to regain time with a more aggressive approach. That risk/reward dynamic is pretty much like Bloodborne. Dead good game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Resident Evil series, Thimbleweed Park and Sine Mora have all long been on the list.
James

Post by James »

I can confirm that the entire Resident Evil series is on the list. I know Leon, Tony and Jay have been mulling over when to cover these, so your vote won't go unnoticed, ThirdDrawing!

Thimbleweed Park is also on the list, kintaris. I think there's quite a bit of interest amongst the team in seeing what Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick can do together, thirty years after Maniac Mansion.

Sine Mora has been on the list since 2012, believe it or not, Stanshall. I've updated its entry to account for the new EX release. I'm keen to cover it at some point, and I'm not the only one on the team.

As with all requests, it's not possible to make promises, but keep the votes coming, both for games that haven't previously been requested, and for those that have. Always good to know what games are popular.