Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Suits »

Having played the PS2 and GameCube versions already, I’m going for the Wii Edition this time round with its ‘unique’ control option :lol: .

Looking forward to it !
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Wii version is actually my favourite, even though it looks a bit murky now and the aiming controls make it quite a lot easier!

For the show I will be playing the 'Ultimate HD Edition' for the first time, on PC.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm The Wii version is actually my favourite, even though it looks a bit murky now and the aiming controls make it quite a lot easier.
I’m rather looking forward to seeing how it scrubs up in full RGB on a PVM, I’ve been rather impressed by the Wii and what it can display in 4:3/480 but I know what you mean :) .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:20 pm Having played the PS2 and GameCube versions already, I’m going for the Wii Edition this time round with its ‘unique’ control option :lol: .

Looking forward to it !
I've completed the Wii version, as someone who HATES the motion controls on that console, it was actually perfectly done.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: January 5th, 2018, 8:00 pm I've completed the Wii version, as someone who HATES the motion controls on that console, it was actually perfectly done.
I’m not naturally a fan of motion controls at all, however, I’m enjoying the idea of playing a familiar game in that style.

Hopefully the added ease will mean getting through it won’t take as long.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started playing it with the classic controller (which isn't 'officially' supported as far as I know, but works as long as you switch it in after you've started the game) before trying the motion controls and really liking them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve got a GameCube pad in reserve too, just in case but that’s an awful dual stick control pad :lol: .
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Two things I need to get off my chest:

The Wii version has one of the best implementations of motion controls I've ever seen, but it should be said that they not only make the game significantly easier, they also ruin the careful balancing of the weapon handling by nullifying the differences in aiming speed and laser sensitivity.

Suits wrote: January 5th, 2018, 8:42 pm I’ve got a GameCube pad in reserve too, just in case but that’s an awful dual stick control pad :lol: .
The GameCube controller is indeed very ill-suited for dual analog controls, but please remember that RE4 is in fact based on a single-stick setup. The right analogue stick is technically used to control the camera, but it has nowhere near the importance that it has in modern third-person shooters, as evidenced by the tank controls and the way the camera moves automatically to follow Leon's movement. You could play the entire game without touching the right stick once and not experience any major mechanical issues. That and other details, such as Leon's octagonal-based movement setup, makes it clear that the game was very much developed with the GameCube controller in mind. Obviously, it isn't the hardware du jour anymore, but can we please not throw it under the bus with such casual cruelty? :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:12 pm Two things I need to get off my chest:

The Wii version has one of the best implementations of motion controls I've ever seen, but it should be said that they not only make the game significantly easier, they also ruin the careful balancing of the weapon handling by nullifying the differences in aiming speed and laser sensitivity.
Yes, good I point I suppose, as someone who would perhaps be coming to the game for the first time may well miss out on a more thorough overall experience, by bypassing a whole stat based mechanic - such as handling.

In my personal situation, I'll be OK having already played the game and will literally going back as a refresher and to try out the motion controls.

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:12 pmThe GameCube controller is indeed very ill-suited for dual analog controls, but please remember that RE4 is in fact based on a single-stick setup.
Totally forgot, I'll be honest. It's been well over 10 years since I last played this game and it's control scheme slipped me by. So that's a bonus, if I get tired of the motion and want to play on.

But no, I don't like the GameCube dual sticks one bit, I'm throwing it straight under the bus for that :lol: . Playing Timesplitters 2 is just painful at times :? .

The rest of the pad is joyous mind. One exception where I actively prefer the C stick is for Tiger Woods, it was first in class for that playing that game back in the day.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 6th, 2018, 7:33 pm But no, I don't like the GameCube dual sticks one bit, I'm throwing it straight under the bus for that :lol: . Playing Timesplitters 2 is just painful at times :? .
Perfectly fair point. GameCube ports of dual analog shooters are indeed a complete and utter pain to play. Which is why most of the games who were primarily developed for the GameCube relied on tank controls and/or fixed camera angles. Nintendo just weren't expecting right stick camera controls to become the norm so quickly!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd love to hear an episode on the cell shaded FPS, XIII. I really enjoyed what I played of that. It had its problems, but would be an excellent excuse to actually finish it for once rather than play the first few levels. And it still looks awesome.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

XIII has been nominated and is the list.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Just seen the listing for Volume 7 and wow, what a great lineup! I am overjoyed that Rez, Worms and Horizon Zero Dawn are going to be covered this year. Was not expecting so much of my requests to be in one year, really looking forward to them. Also there are a fair few titles that I hope to play this year before the episode comes out so that the memories will be fresh in my mind as I listen. Due to being a coward and fairly time limited, I won't be playing the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy titles respectively but will definitely check out the episodes as they are both interesting series to hear about.

Other titles I am really looking forward to hearing about are Stanley Parable, Pikmin and Last Guardian. Will Pikmin just cover the first game or will the series as a whole be discussed similar to the Star Fox episode?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just the original Pikmin for now. We may cover the other games at a later date.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Ah great, looking forward to it then!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Witness!

Aside: Leon, I remember you picking this up some time ago. Has your incredibly busy schedule allowed you any time to play any yet?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, I'll second The Witness if it's not already on the list. Truly fascinating game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm sure it is, I think I've actually suggested it before!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is on the list, no I haven’t played it.

We’re covering Braid on its 10th anniversary so don’t hold your breath..!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm We’re covering Braid on its 10th anniversary so don’t hold your breath..!
I know, I can't wait for that show. It's an incredible game, I think. One of my favourites.