Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Tleprie

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by Tleprie »

I'd like to gently place the Devolver-published visual novel Hatoful Boyfriend in the list, preferably next to a nice Traveller's Tales game, or a generic gritty crime drama with a cult following. In addition to this, I'll carelessly toss the holiday themed sequel to the aforementioned bird-dating sim, Hatoful Boyfriend Holiday Star, onto the pile.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hatoful Boyfriend is already on the list.
:)
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Would be great to hear thoughts on Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Interesting choice, I shall add it to the long list.
runawaybride420

Post by runawaybride420 »

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I would really love to hear your guys' thoughts on Dark Souls 3. I was deeply entertained and enlightened by Cane and Rinse's podcasts on Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (also, more recently, the Bloodborne episode), learning a heck of lot about the willfully obscure lore in the games' settings and musing over the overarching, spindly theories that dared to crack the code about the series' gothic melodrama. It's a strange thing, because when I first played Dark Souls, I took the nebulously presented story as a sort of half-remembered subconscious quirk to justify the setting and the games' harrowing difficulty. And this sort of continued on with Dark Souls 2 - I remained largely unaffected by the story and the lore, whenever a little morsel of exposition or beat of drama occurred, I just nodded and thought, "So, there's this dude trying to link some fire? Well, that's cute. Oh look, that red guy over there is waving to me, he MUST want to help me!" Then, before Dark Souls 3 was released, I was able to listen to the aforementioned podcasts and it opened my mind up to the idea of being a junior sleuth for the next installment in the series. Thus, when I finally did play Dark Souls 3, I registered all the story beats and tried a bit harder to wrap my head around the flowery, abstracted dialogue. It made for a much more enthralling nerd-out and I was more then glad to experience the third Souls game in this way. So, I would love to hear your guys observations on DS3, to see what you guys shook out of this entry and how it compared to the previous games in series.

I would say it would be doubly interesting because I know DS3 got a kind mixed reception, which trended upward, but didn't seem to quite soar past people's expectations as most were hoping it would. Personally, I felt the game was as needed it to be - extremely fun, gorgeous/foreboding to look at, dark-humored and punishing. Out of the all the games in the series, I find myself going back to 3 the most, not because it's the newest one with the best graphics, but because I feel it is the most re-playable out of all of them. I wondered if people were putting too much on it's shoulders and forgot that sometimes small tweaks and a handful of new concepts (like the weapon arts system) add some freshness, but it would still be a solid, engaging Souls game without it. Anyway, love the podcast and thanks for all the thoughtful discourse!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi runaway(!)

No surprise that DSIII is on the list and a podcast seems likely at some point in the future, to complete the set as it were.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd also love to hear a DS3 episode, even though I think it's comfortably the weakest Souls game. I'd really recommend a few podcasts, though, in the meantime:

Bonfireside Chat (which Josh and James have both guested on)
Twin Humanities
Don't Give Up Skeleton

I'd also really recommend Vaati Vidya's lore stuff on YouTube. Brilliant stuff, very concise, detailed and well narrated.
runawaybride420

Post by runawaybride420 »

That's excellent to hear, Leon! Looking forward to the DS3-cast when it eventually hits my feed. Thanks so much for the podcast suggestions, Stanshall, these sound like some delicious bits to chow down on in the meantime :) <3 <3
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Like I said on the games completed thread I just finnished King's Quest and while I understand why words such as "overrated" and "underrated" are banned in this site XD I have to say that King's Quest is probably one of the most overlooked games of the past few years and I think a discussion of the Cane&Rinse team about it would be great,you could even do in a style such your Splinter Cell and Hitman podcasts where the main focus of the show was a particular game but it also did a little retrospective of the previous games especially since the legacy of the series is so important for this game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I have a feeling the show wouldn't want to do the modern kings quest without at least tackling the original ones. It's how they roll...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think pretty much all of the Sierra games - old and new - are on the long list. I got to be honest though there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest among the team.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The old ones are a hard sell, by modern design standard they're horrid things to play. There's a good book which is pretty exhaustive on the history of the entire genre though if this is an era of games design you're interested in: Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah due to the older ones being quite hard and obtuse from what I hear I think starting with the 2015 one would be best, since it's easily the most accessible and could still talk about the history of series.

To be honest Im not really surprised that the team isnt very interested in playing it it seems nobody was...
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Todinho wrote:Yeah due to the older ones being quite hard and obtuse from what I hear I think starting with the 2015 one would be best, since it's easily the most accessible and could still talk about the history of series.

To be honest Im not really surprised that the team isnt very interested in playing it it seems nobody was...
I enjoyed it. Only played through episode 1 though. Good game :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

ratsoalbion wrote:I think pretty much all of the Sierra games - old and new - are on the long list. I got to be honest though there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest among the team.
Man, I'll talk Police Quest all day.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

If you guys ever fancied covering Red Faction for the podcast the whole series is dirt cheap at the min via the xbox and ps Easter sales! Pretty sure the newer games are on backwards comp too
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm sure this must have been mentioned at some point but what about the Road Rash series, more so the first two really.

I'd love to give these another go. I've been considering setting up a RGB Mega Drive recently, the case is building...
James

Post by James »

Amazingly, Road Rash isn't on the list. I know we have fans on the team, so I can't quite believe that it wasn't on there.

I've just added it! Thanks for the suggestion. :)
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

If the podcast is reserved purely for videogames themselves, how about some midweek specials where you discuss a specific console each time. It would be good to hear about people's experiences and memories of the Snes, N64, Saturn etc as well as perhaps get some insight into the history of the consoles development and success.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Here's a few which may or may not already be on the list (which surely almost everyone will have played):

Wipeout series
Cannon Fodder
Lemmings
Worms series
Metal Slug series