The Binding of Isaac

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post by Alex79 »

Not surprised!

A fair few of those runs were me suiciding after getting rubbish starting pills as Lazarus haha.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've found that restarting is a quicker way should the first floor not give you decent items. Whilst I am in the camp of seeing a run through to the end, when it comes to Sheol etc you really need every little bit of help you can get.

If I see a shitty item on floor one in the treasure room, I hold R and start again until I get damage up or HP up! :)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Another Satan busting run last night with Samson this time.
I had dismissed the thought of trying to be completionist with this game, but man, it keeps reeling me back in...
James

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:50 runs? Sheeeeit!

My bad luck has vanished... I am now a Golden God!

Genuinely beaming with pride about this
As you should be. Massive congrats, dez! :D

Like RoboticMonk3y, I keep going back to Rebirth to the point of thinking I may one day collect such an accolade through pure attrition if nothing else! :shock:
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I BEAT SATAN!

Last time a faced him I got stomped straight away but this time I was ready for it.
James

Post by James »

Baron Phil wrote:I BEAT SATAN!

Last time a faced him I got stomped straight away but this time I was ready for it.
YASSSS!

That fight is incredibly intense. The black worms during the final section seem almost unfair, but it is one Hell of a victory when it comes. :D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nice one! It's definitely the harder of the two fights! :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

As I approach the 70 hour mark, I found myself playing as characters I've yet to kills Mom's Heart with.

Turns out, as the flying devil man, I did an entire run of reaching Mega Satan. A thing I have never, ever done before. :shock:
James

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:As I approach the 70 hour mark, I found myself playing as characters I've yet to kills Mom's Heart with.

Turns out, as the flying devil man, I did an entire run of reaching Mega Satan. A thing I have never, ever done before. :shock:
Azazel is a great starting character. I'm still trying to beat Satan with all characters (on Normal, of course), before moving on to The Cathedral, but now I'm able to head past Sheol and into The Dark Room (if I'm lucky enough to make it). Needless to say, I've not managed it with ??? yet. I managed to die as Satan did once and had to move on to a different character to hold back floods of tears.

Isaac. Still kicking my bum and then kissing it better, only to kick me once more. And I love it! :twisted:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Spent the evening chasing down a Satan run with isaac.
Played for and won!
It took quite a few attempts but I got a good run of power upgrades.
Poison shot and brimstone, combined with randomly producing flies on landing hits steamrollered me though
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Also,
Dez, what's mega Satan?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's beyond the door in the Dark Room/Chest which is opened by obtaining two parts of a key.

It's mental.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I got to the boss rush again yesterday, turned it down though, because none of the pick ups were worth it.

I'm trying to beat satan with each of the characters, I had a really good Lazerus run, and right as the fight kicked up into gear, the good lady wife decided that was a prime time to start asking me questions, I thought I had paused, seems I had not :(
boo!
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

Really struggled to get anywhere with this at the start, but beat Mom's Heart for the first time last night. Am I right that drops improve the more you play? I seem to more often end up with stronger builds now than I did early doors.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's not so much they improve as such, but you unlock/discover more stuff I think.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

There's a bunch of stuff that I found out that helped a lot.
having a guide open that tells you what the items do is a real help.

Some rocks can be blown up and they drop items.
blowing up a mushroom will sometimes drop a pill
blowing up a skull will sometimes drop a card
there's a hidden room on most floors, once you know where it might be, then you can sometimes pick up some good extra items.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

I played the original a fair bit on steam but the PS Vita version of Rebirth is outstanding.

I haven't really noticed any significant issues with the framerate, although it is not as solid as the PC version for sure.

The PS Vita seems like the perfect platform for this game. Starting a run on the commute or whilst you make dinner, or wait for a Halo: MCC game to load, or to find a game on CS:GO, or an Xbox/PS game to install or, well, you get the idea.

Those damn pills. Is it saying something about me that when I pick them up I feel totally compelled to eat them regardless of the risk involved!?

All the comments from those who have posted before regarding one item being able to make a run is so true and goes to the heart of the way I play the game. I take risks in the hope that I pick up that one item. When you do it makes all the dying worth it somehow.

I owe it to (and blame) the original podcast for my current state of addiction to this game. I started last January and it hasn't yet abated.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I don't play as much as I used to once achieving Golden God but I still enjoy the occasional run here and there!

Glad you're hooked. My work here is done. ;)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I was listening to the Chrono Trigger episode when I heard Game Theory being mentioned and it reminded me of an episode he did on The Binding of Isaac looking at all the simbolism and trying to figure out what it all means and I think he got at least pretty close since the creator tweeted about it and everything,anyway it's a good video for those interested in the story of the game but arent willing to spend hours on the wiki or try to 100% the game:

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nice, i'll have to give that a watch. To be honest, I don't pay attention to gaming stories at the best of times so when they started making me work for it, I lose interest.

This is a great idea though. Do they try and sum up any other game stories briefly? I still don't know what happens in Dark Souls other than people die a lot.