The Binding of Isaac

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post by James »

Got BEANS! (that's a catchphrase I could do with not catching on) :D

Been (geddit) trying PURIST today, but with only mixed success. I feel like that challenge (no starting items, and no golden item rooms) is made or broken in the first couple of levels. A decent Curse Room or Devil Room and I'll make it to The Womb, but without those I almost inevitably quit and restart to avoid the wasted time trundling to The Depths only to come unstuck.

I feel like I've plateaued for the first time in a while, skill-wise. The increase in difficulty since defeating Mom's Heart for the fifth time has overtaken my improvement to the degree where I'm frustrated more often than not. Perhaps time for a little Isaac break. :(
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

give it a break, don't end up hating the game.

I've paid nothing for it, and it's given me so much!
I've managed to complete a couple of the challenges, but man, they sure can be tough!
James

Post by James »

Oh, don't worry! Rebirth is on for a tight finish with the RE4 Ultimate HD Edition for my favourite game of 2014. I can just feel my frustration bubbling when I stumble due to silly mistakes.

That said, I've been postponing Bayonetta 2, Velocity 2X and The Evil Within (amongst others) to play Isaac as much as I have in the past few weeks. Perhaps it's time to turn to those for a while. :)
James

Post by James »

Thanks, by the way, RoboticMonk3y. Always welcome to have kind advice when I'm letting a great game get to me unnecessarily. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've got a shit hot build going on at the moment - got the pickup that puts damage right down but fire rate right up, but then I found something that put damage to max and found splash damage! AND I have little brimstone buddy and a jar that stores hearts. I am sure I'm on to a winner! But - just found a bedroom!? Not seen this one before!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

A very SNES RPG looking bedroom! I have no idea what they do but I do love the Z...Z...Z which appears when you kip in the bed :)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

also after you've slept on the bed, blow up the carpet, there's always a hidden ladder under there
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Sheeeeeeit!!! I did not know that.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I found the trapdoor. Didn't know you could sleep - I assume it fills your health back up? That run I was on about was a winner - dropped Moms Heart in under three seconds hahaha.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Unlocked The Polaroid. Time to enter The Chest.
James

Post by James »

Yep, sleep for full health and blow the centre of the carpet for a ladder to the next level. That's the other secret room I wanted to hold off spoiling a few pages back.

I finally beat PURIST, which completes the 15 challenges I have unlocked at this point. Back to the main game and my first run ended under Satan's hoof about 3 pixels from a red heart pickup. :lol:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:Yep, sleep for full health and blow the centre of the carpet for a ladder to the next level. That's the other secret room I wanted to hold off spoiling a few pages back.:
I got one of those side-on levels with an item, not a level skip
James

Post by James »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I got one of those side-on levels with an item, not a level skip
Really? I've only ever seen a level-skip from Isaac's bedroom. Guess I have just been lucky. :)
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I was playing as ??? and I found a room that turned me into 5 little creatures. Anyone else come across this? Image I love that the game just keeps throwing new things at me.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've come across the re-roll rooms, yeah. Being turned into 5 creatures is new to me!

I managed to breakthrough a personal best tonight. I beat The Chest!
James

Post by James »

Each of the numbered re-roll rooms has a specific function, but I can never remember in the moment so just use it anyway. Not always helpful, but always interesting.

I'm battering against the Darkness Falls challenge. It's good fun, but playing as Eve puts it on a knife-edge. Plus, you have to beat Satan, which is always tough.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

How odd, I had almost the exact same re roll today.
I had a run and unlocked Samson and Eve.
Right after I did a run with eve and I was going to bin it off. I got a pick up where if I lose a heart I get teleported out of the room. I think it was mom's earring. It made boss fights a pain and I had the menu up hovering over quit, but thought I'd give the boss one more go. Beat the boss, skipped a level and got a reroll that was mental! About 5 followers and I was shooting like monstro but spitting fireballs. Rolled past mom, the heart and went on to kill Satan.
Just goes to show you should never bin off a run!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I unlocked The Negative today. I made it to The Dark Room which is Sheol's version of The Chest.

I died but I loved it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't beaten the game in about 50 runs now >_<

I've beaten Moms Heart four times, twice as Isaac, once as Magdalene and once I can't account for! I'm trying to beat it with Lazarus at the moment and thought I had it, I'd had a good run and got to Moms Heart with nine health hearts and two soul hearts. I was down to my last half a heart with about 25% of boss health left and thought I wasn't going to make it, so I thought I'd dive down a hole I quickly dug with my reusable level skip to see what happened. I'd thought it was the last level, and imagined the game would have some trick up its sleeve to prevent people cheating like this. Imagine my surprise when I landed on a completely new level I'd not seen before, Sheol. I was delighted I'd found a new level and disappointed I'd not claimed a victory in equal measure. Suffice to say with my half a heart of health I got my ass firmly handed to me on about the fourth room.

:D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

50 runs? Sheeeeit!

My bad luck has vanished... I am now a Golden God!

Genuinely beaming with pride about this