What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have Ikaruga on 360 and it's a terrific version but I wouldn't mind adding it to the Switch library at some point too.

I have SF30th pre-downloaded on PS4, but I certainly will get the Switch version of that in the future as well.

Interested in the Mega Drive collection even though I've got all those games already and have bought them all multiple times! I'm going to wait and see what the quality of emulation and Achievement/Trophy situation is like though.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just preloaded the Street Fighter collection today! Excited to go through a bunch of the games I missed!

Also, is the Mega Drive classics bringing anything new to the PC, or is just the PC versions are coming to the new consoles?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I was wondering that myself.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The only copy of Ikaruga I currently have is on the GameCube and man, it’s hard.

Hard to the point - I just don’t get it. I might give it another go in the hope that something clicks but man it was like I was missing a key gameplay point or something.

I might watch a video on YouTube or something and see what’s what.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: May 28th, 2018, 9:10 pm Hard to the point - I just don’t get it.
Apologies if this sounds rude, but... are you utilising the polarity flip mechanic correctly? As far as I know, that's really the main concept that first-time Ikaruga players need to get used to before the game starts to click.

Otherwise it's just: shoot 'em ups are hard, man! :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 28th, 2018, 9:58 pm Apologies if this sounds rude, but... are you utilising the polarity flip mechanic correctly? As far as I know, that's really the main concept that first-time Ikaruga players need to get used to before the game starts to click.
Quite literally could be just that man, like I said, there’s something I’m not grasping/doing.

I’ll take a look at some videos and see what others are doing as it was such a long time ago when I tried it last.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

So basically - the color of your ship renders you invulnerable to enemy bullets of the same color. Flipping it in order to absorb incoming bullets is an essential (and rather unique) part of the game.

It's a really unconventional and therefore probably unintuitive mechanic at first glance. Try it out!

Edit: Here's an official tutorial from TREASURE that explains the concept better than I can. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sick.

Nice one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's been a while since I've played it, but I'm sure the game tells you about its single main mechanic when you play it, doesn't it?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The achievement list for the Megadrive classics thing is out there and it’s pretty lame to be honest.

Most of them are super easy, one or two are so hard as to be close to impossible for most players.

It’s not as weak as the one for the street fighter collection though.

(I actually thing retro collections really should spend way more time on achievement sets, Rare replay being the best in category for that, but that’s literally another thread now...)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, it is a console port of the current collection available on Steam developed by d3t.

Emulation is decent enough with a few sound issues (on XO anyway). Not M2 standard but adequate, at least if there’s a patch to come.

51 games for £25 though which seems great vfm to me.

Some surprising/disappointing omissions (Sonic 3 / & Knuckles) are made up for by appearances from a selection of cool titles (including Light Crusader, Crack Down, Landstalker...) which haven’t been released dozens of times before.

Pleasant presentation and good visual options too.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, OK, I ended up getting SF 30th Anniversary Collection and it kicks arse. My SF4 Ken is really rather suited to Third Strike (which I've barely even touched) so I've been having quite a bit of joy so far. I wonder how the ranking system works because I've won every game but don't see any overall change or anything. I wonder if it's all behind the scenes.

Perhaps a C&R lobby one evening?

I had to pull out of the SFV stuff because my evening routine changed for a while but stuff has settled and I'd be well up for a bit of community action.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 29th, 2018, 10:58 am Yeah, it is a console port of the current collection available on Steam developed by d3t.

Emulation is decent enough with a few sound issues (on XO anyway). Not M2 standard but adequate, at least if there’s a patch to come.

51 games for £25 though which seems great vfm to me.

Some surprising/disappointing omissions (Sonic 3 / & Knuckles) are made up for by appearances from a selection of cool titles (including Light Crusader, Crack Down, Landstalker...) which haven’t been released dozens of times before.

Pleasant presentation and good visual options too.
The PC version did get updates, such as multiplayer, leaderboards and a lower price to match the console version. So, there's that too!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd have got the Street Fighter collection if my PS3 mad catz fightstick worked on PS4 :(
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle - PC, NS, PS4
Happy Birthdays - NS
Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi - PC, PS4
Onrush - PS4, XBO
Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset - PS4, XBO
Vampyr - PC, PS4, XBO
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr - PC, PS4, XBO
Flashback: Remastered Edition - NS
The Banner Saga 2 - NS
Muv-Luv - PSVita
Muv-Luv Alternative - PSVita
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - NS, 3DS

Very interested in seeing how Vampyr and Onrush are received. I'm interested in both but I've only got room for one!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Just Beats And Shapes is a good one coming to the eShop this week. It's a rhythm game bullet hell kinda thing which was featured in the Nindie Direct earlier in the year. It came out on the US store last week so I've put a little time into it. Something different, it's full of visual invention and the electro house/chip tune soundtrack is suitably banging. Trailer here for anyone interested in that description:

https://youtu.be/2VpqK2E8NRY
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

40k inquisitor might be worth a look, it’s a Diablo clone by the guys who made the Van Helsing games.

Sushi Strikers is decent, but might be better on 3ds than on Switch I’d the demo was anything to go by (the touch controls are a bit too imprecise and it’s clearly not built to by played on the pad, it’s obviously a stylus game at heart).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I would be interested in Onrush as well. Curious to see what reception it's getting and if the player base is big enough to make it worth buying at full price. I would just love to sink my teeth in a new quality arcade racer.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Really interested in Vampyr. Looks like it's doing a lot of unique things, and I like the atmosphere of it.

I was kind of interested in Onrush, but I didn't really enjoy the beta at all. Pretty disappointing. The racing genre has been starving for something fresh like that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I wonder how much Onrush is meant to be played as a team, like Overwatch, and if the demo suffered from disorganized players who didn't follow the rules?

Hero-based arcade racing multiplayer is such an intriguing concept, it'd be a shame if the game ended up being garbage.