What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Chopper »

Love this thread, it's really useful.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am Subnautica - Win, Mac
Wow, is this only now getting its 1.0

I was mesmerized by this when I first saw it, which was a actually a play through from Sips in the Yogscast - which feels like 5 years ago !!!

Great visuals, engrossing exploration and story. I really liked it.

Switch port please :lol: .
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Another interesting recent release - assuming you like your shmups - is Zero Gunner 2 on the Switch.

Considering that this game only got a Dreamcast port in the past, it's good to see it more widely available. You know, assuming your like shmups that is! :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Celeste is fantastic so far, great little game. I've only had a little chance to turn on the Switch this evening and played twenty minutes or so but it feels just right. Excellent controls. As an aside, Slime-san is also a bloody good twitchy platformer which didn't get much attention.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - PS4
Sky Force Reloaded - NS
EA Sports UFC 3 - PS4, XBO
We Were Here Too - Win
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Square really didn’t position Dissidia well did they? A week after dragon ball...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Blackhole (PS4)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
Dragon Quest Builders (Switch)
Portal Knights (Switch)
The Count Lucanor (Switch)
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia (PS4)
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] (Vita, PS3, PS4)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It should go without saying, but if any of you own a PS4 and haven't yet played SotC, now would be the perfect time to rectify this. A true classic.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Bleed 2, recently covered on the podcast, arrives this Friday on Xbox One and PS4. I understand that the Steam version will get a free update to include some of the console versions' perks as well.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 9:14 pm It should go without saying, but if any of you own a PS4 and haven't yet played SotC, now would be the perfect time to rectify this. A true classic.
I dunno, buyer beware ;)

It’s in the ‘great games I hate’ category for me.

I should elaborate on that: I found the mechanics offputting. I generally dislike climbing that uses holding down buttons for grip, so that kind of killed the first colossus for me. Then the requirement to bring the second guy down sent me over the edge :)

Reading up on it, I’m not sure I would have gotten through the whole game in any case, with the whole slaughter of innocents thing.

I’m ashamed, I should really delete this post.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Chopper wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 9:14 pm It should go without saying, but if any of you own a PS4 and haven't yet played SotC, now would be the perfect time to rectify this. A true classic.
I dunno, buyer beware ;)

I should elaborate on that: I found the mechanics offputting. I generally dislike climbing that uses holding down buttons for grip, so that kind of killed the first colossus for me. Then the requirement to bring the second guy down sent me over the edge :)

Reading up on it, I’m not sure I would have gotten through the whole game in any case, with the whole slaughter of innocents thing.

I’m ashamed, I should really delete this post.
I loved it, but I couldn't go back to the PS3 remaster because the controls were so unmanageable to my modern sensibility.

The remake apparently has a new control system. It's laid over the original code so I'm not sure how drastic a difference it will make but I will let you know! If that was your only barrier before this may be the perfect opportunity for you.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am I dunno, buyer beware ;)

Yes, fair enough. It's an acquired taste with its fair share of clunky elements, but certainly one worthy of consideration.
Chopper wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am Reading up on it, I’m not sure I would have gotten through the whole game in any case, with the whole slaughter of innocents thing.
But...
Spoiler: show
That's the whole point! It's just not a smash-guys-to-feel-good type of experience. Quite the opposite,
in fact.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

kintaris wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:55 am The remake apparently has a new control system. It's laid over the original code so I'm not sure how drastic a difference it will make but I will let you know! If that was your only barrier before this may be the perfect opportunity for you.
Interesting! Do let me know, thanks.
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 12:25 pm But...
That's the whole point! It's just not a smash-guys-to-feel-good type of experience. Quite the opposite,
in fact.
Yes, but...
There was some bad juju in that temple at the start. I'm not sure the connection to the girl was presented in strong enough terms to justify killing sixteen colossi with their big puppy-dog eyes/intensely glaring headlights.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 12:54 pm Yes, but...
There was some bad juju in that temple at the start. I'm not sure the connection to the girl was presented in strong enough terms to justify killing sixteen colossi with their big puppy-dog eyes/intensely glaring headlights.
Yes, but...
Of course there was bad juju! But the author never outright claims that the protagonist is in the right or that he is justified in his actions. I think there is an intentional disconnect between the audience (/player) and the protagonist, so as to reinforce the subversion of the heroic prince saving the damsel trope. It's meant to make you feel bad, because the work is not an action game with a heroic and sympathetic protagonist embarked on an exciting and righteous adventure. Instead, it is a tragedy, a genre firmly underrepresented in video games.

The connection with the girl doesn't need to be explored, because the game is not trying to convince you that she is worth saving above all else. What the game does is show you just how strongly the protagonist believes it. Big difference!

At least, that's my take on it! :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I know that the devs have said the three games are not direct sequels to each other, but it always felt to me like they were three stories set in the same world. A world where humans are low in number and live in small towns, there are no large settlements, and the outside world is dominated by the ruins and gods of a fallen civilisation.

It’d make a brilliant setting for a tabletop RPG actually.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 1:15 pm
Of course there was bad juju! But the author never outright claims that the protagonist is in the right or that he is justified in his actions. I think there is an intentional disconnect between the audience (/player) and the protagonist, so as to reinforce the subversion of the heroic prince saving the damsel trope. It's meant to make you feel bad, because the work is not an action game with a heroic and sympathetic protagonist embarked on an exciting and righteous adventure. Instead, it is a tragedy, a genre firmly underrepresented in video games.
I don't disagree with any of that; however, having killed one beast, my protagonist decided it was a bad situation all round and went home for his tea. :)
KSubzero1000 wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 1:15 pm
The connection with the girl doesn't need to be explored, because the game is not trying to convince you that she is worth saving above all else. What the game does is show you just how strongly the protagonist believes it. Big difference!
Yes, that's something I was unaware of. I don't actually know how much centred around the girl outside of the opening scene, or indeed how the whole thing is resolved. Someday I may go back to it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Marooners - PS4, XBO
Shadow of the Colossus - PS4
Civilization VI: Rise and Fall -PC
Octogeddon - PC
Rust - PC
Dragon Quest Builders - NS
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - PS4
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late - PS3, PS4, PSVita
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dynasty Warriors 9 - PC, PS4, XBO
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - PC, PS4, XBO
Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Videogame - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
Owlboy - NS, PS4, XBO
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - 3DS
The Longest 5 Minutes - PC, NS, PSVita
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PC
A Certain Magical Virtual-On - PS4, PSVita
Secret of Mana - PC, PS4, PSVita
Bayonetta - NS
Bayonetta 2 - NS
Fe - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
Long Gone Days - PC
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

And so the wait for the dispatch email for my copy of Dynasty Warriors 9 begins...

I’m also sort of interested in Kingdom Come, need to see reviews.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m going to start trying to remember to add iOS games here too because I think there’s a lot to love on that platform that I suspect people are just not aware of because ‘everything on mobile is free to play trash’.

Florence is an interesting looking piece of interactive narrative about first love. Publisher is Annapurna who seem to be collecting up a lot of interesting things lately (Edith Finch and Gorogoa being their two previous hits)